Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Yester

Yester is on a distinguished road
Looking for a MUD

Hey all - I've finally decided to get serious about playing MUDs and I am trying to find one to stick with. I have played MUDs on and off for the past 2 years or so. I've been trying a lot of MUDs the past few days and there were a few I enjoyed. I've tried Ivalice - a FF based ROM MUD - which is quite fun but it lacks a large player base. I've only seen three people in the past two days, and they usually only pop in for a couple minutes. I've also tried New Worlds and completed it's tutorial. I was also enjoying that MUD, but after reading the rules , when I finished the tutorial, it stated that I had to be 18 or older to play. That kinda bummed me out, because I will be 18 in a few months. All the other MUDs I logged into had no one online. I'm not picky when it comes to player-base and as long as the MUD has 10 - 20 people online at most hours of the day then that would be great. More are always welcome though!

As for RPing, even though I am still learning, I would really like a MUD that encourages it. I like to feel like I am in the world when I play a MUD and don't like to be distracted by a lot OOC chat. Discussion of the game mechanics OOCly doesn't bother me at all though. PvP isn't a must, but I don't mind it. It probably could add some spice to RP every once in a while.

I also really enjoy games that have some sort of politics involved in them. I think it adds something extra special to the mud, and gives the game much more of a sense of freedom to it. I also really love crafting in every online game I have ever played, but have yet to try it in a MUD.

I know that's a long list of what I'm looking for, but does anyone have any suggestions on a MUD? They would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT:

After playing a bit more on Ivalice this evening it seems there is a pretty active group of players that still play, and they are quite helpful! I must of been just logging on at odd times. I shall continue playing this. Who knows ..... maybe I'll stick around.

Suggestions are still welcome!

Last edited by Yester : 10-20-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Yester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
lothoemas

Name: Chris
Home MUD: Ansalon MUD
Home MUD: http://www.ansalonmud.net
Home MUD: http://wiki.ansalonmud.net
lothoemas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lothoemas
Re: Looking for a MUD

It sounds like you may like , a dragonlance based mud which encourages RP and allows PK. We generally have 10 - 20 or 30 players on at most times other than around 3AM - 6AM EST.

We have a lot of helpful players and staff, so just ask over newbietalk or ooc if you have a question. Feel free to reply here with any questions as well.
lothoemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

I encourage you to check out Isles of Aedin. We are a fairly new MUD that just recently went live Beta. We have an active and helpful staff with regular updates. Typically 2 or 3 updates a month. The staff is very receptive to player suggestions. We are a RP MUD that allows for PvP and the players are very helpful and patient with new players.

We usually have around 20 players on a night and being that we are fairly new, no one has max levels and very few are what you would consider high levels. It wont take long at all to jump in and be competitive. You wont have a game full of max level players to contend with. If you are interested in politics, we have player run temples, high priests etc.. and city council with council members etc...

Check out the website and see.

Last edited by IZDemon : 10-20-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added link
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Yester

Yester is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be sure to try out the two MUDs listed above in the next coupe of days.

@IZDemon I was actually looking at that game yesterday. And it's player run temples sound quite interesting. The community seems quite active as well.

@lothoemas The MUD looks good, and it's been running for over 13 years so it must be good. The newbie help channels sure are a plus for me. I'll be sure to check it out.

@Newworlds I have my account details written down, so I'll be sure to check it out in a few months!
Yester is offline   Reply With Quote