Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 05-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #21
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: Deck Chairs on the Titanic

Well said.
In the end, no matter how much a player contributes, whether it be art, staff-usable documents, testing labor or just the occasional wake-up call, staff may always act arbitrarily, exceedingly ungrateful, or overtly biased toward or against players [insert any unprofessional behavior here], and there really is no other recourse but to leave.

Even this morning, I learned that to retain the most recent two players who were tired of the ineptitude, the head admin bribed them with a public building [storage for the entire playerbase], to be made private and exclusive for their use. While I'm happy for my friends, in that they're finally getting what so many departed players asked for, but were denied, I can't help but see it's 'business as usual' in picking and choosing, and sending wrong-headed messages to the rest of their playerbase. My friends' gain, in this instance, is the playerbase's loss.

12,000 empty rooms does offer quite a variety of such bribes. I can't decide if the shame is that they never thought of it [hard to fathom], or thought of it and rejected the idea of offering such opportunities fairly, but finally realized that being so tight-fisted and territorial over an empty game was....not smart.

But you're absolutely right. In the end, player attendance is what marks the success line, and the failure line. In the end, that's all the power players need. And except for the power to boot up the game, it's all they'll ever need.

Last edited by Disillusionist : 05-17-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #22
wantacookie

wantacookie is on a distinguished road

You can't bribe someone with something they were already promised by an NPC as a reward for a deed done IC. IN other words, they were going to get a building/home of their own regardless. Whether or not they threatened to leave bears no relevance upon them getting said building.

Just saying.
wantacookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
Disillusionist

Absolutely correct. I should ignore that they had been asking for a place of their own (as had many others) for...was it seven years? The timing of being offered the perk right as they were going out the door wasn't in any way construable as a bribe.

I stand corrected.

See topic title.

Last edited by Disillusionist : 05-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
Disillusionist

I loved the movie Titanic. It sparked me to read a bit about the actual disaster.
Maiden voyage, Ship of Dreams. Great and heralded event, rave reviews, luxury, size. You couldn't HELP but want to be one of the first ones aboard.

The designer had envisioned something truly grand. The captain was experienced, if somewhat aged and on his final voyage.

So many things have to happen, to line up just perfectly, for a disaster like this to occur. Slightly inferior steel for the hull, not up to specs, that actually got a little bit brittle in cold water. Flat seas, so you couldn't see the ocean breaking at the base of the icebergs.
Not enough room in the lifeboats for allllllllll the passengers, if something should go wrong, but, what the heck, the deck looked less cluttered, right? In case of trouble, as the fictional badguy said in the film when informed half the people were going to die, "Not the -better- half."

But life aboard the ship was grand, so many passengers, so many crew. Lap of luxury, and plenty of room to move around.

Warnings about flat seas and icebergs could be safely ignored. The ship was unsinkable. Full steam ahead, let's get there early. A lot of famous people were aboard, and wealthy, probably ready to shell out a lot more money to White Star Line, since this type of travel would clearly set a new standard.

The maneuver right before they hit the iceberg, also part of the formula for disaster. Engineers tell us now that if they had just reduced speed, they could've hit the thing dead-on, and Titanic would still be around, perhaps as a museum-tour novely, instead of a deep-sea documentary. But, instead, they engaged full reverse, completely neutering the rudder, and instead, sideswiped the berg, inflicting the fatal breach. the ship was just not designed for radical maneuvers.

That was when they started taking on water. Already Titanic was doomed. It was only a matter of time. Even then, so many passengers and crew could've been saved, but it was still lalala on deck, a bit of frivolity, with the staff officers paralyzed. Fireworks delighted some of the passengers, who didn't realize they were a distress call, the CQD (SOS), because the crew didn't want to admit they had really royally botched, and the ship was sinking. The lifeboats began loading way late, partly full, and the ship, rather than steaming toward the rescue ships, sat in place.

So many things lined up to make it one of the worst and most memorable disasters in history. Blaming the iceberg wasn't on the list of excuses....I don't think that makes for a very good movie, or a very truthful rendition of what led to the disaster.

There are no more passengers aboard the Titanic (well...none alive. There are only survivors.

Last edited by Disillusionist : 05-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #25
Violette

Ahhh, Disillusionist, another Titanic buff! Looks like everyone turned to run the moment you started reminiscing of the actual Titanic. Lol. I so know that feeling!
You may enjoy this of lesser-known facts about Titanic that I made My favorite part of it all is the premonition fact... and I love this too:

I know I'm late to the topic at hand, but I found it interesting that in one of the reviews of Forgotten Kingdoms it is stated that some time ago everyone had accepted that the mud was dying, however the admins orchestrated a complete turnaround and to this day everyone is happy. I wonder how they managed to do that!...