Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
3D TV is Dead. Not surprised.

There are some very significant signs that 3D TV is in its death throes. Good riddance to a stupid idea.

Vizio, who sells more TVs than any other company in the US, that it has "done away with 3D playback entirely".

They are big on 4k which is neat but not widely supported by much content. At least 4k makes sense and doesn't rely on visual tricks and optical illusions.

I have always been hugely bearish on 3D technology because of the fact that it is inherently just an optical illusion. This means it can never work perfectly and will always cause eye strain and other discomfort for most people. Until we have true hologram technology, 3D will always be a fail.

Now we need some movie studios to jump on board also and kill the latest 3D gimmick attempt completely.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: 3D TV is Dead. Not surprised.

I never liked 3D much at all.

I kinda grew up in the 1980es and 1990es. Guys like Stallone, van Damme, Schwarzenegger were my heros!

Then came the CGI effects, the storylines often died down (Blade runner was so awesome... so many science fiction movies that came afterwards just sucked).

I eventually lost interest in movies. The Hobbit actually was fun... and those zombie splatters with milla jovovich were not thaaat bad (I saw this one in the movie with those 3D glasses), but all in one, the movies mostly just suck these days. And I mean, they really TOTALLY suck.

CGI often tries to make up for lame, missing story. Realism is gone, believable characters are gone.

Sometimes there are exceptions, like Inception. I also liked The Dark Knight (but not the last one...)

But if I take it as a whole, today's movies no longer interest me.

So whether 3D dies or not actually is not very important to me. Let them die I say!
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

As long as IMAX continues to show promise (and profit), Studios will keep making films in 3D--reguardless of the screen size.

But when you look at it, the Entertainment Industry shouldn't be hurting at all, as it controls Television, Cable, Satalite, Movie Theaters and Internet Streaming. I cannot see why they're even crying over any loss profits, when they easily make it up in other areas.

But yea, 3D TV was a stretch. And unwatchable without the special glasses.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

No doubt. I also agree that 3D in films should go bye bye except for HFR 3D which is basically 60 Frames per second. If you've seen it, it is pretty good. You don't get that jitter affect of regular 24 Frame film or the headache of standard 3D. It's pretty sweet.

Most studios don't do it because you are more than doubling your editing and filming costs.

4K is just the digital version of the true resolution of 35MM film which is shot in 2.35 to 1 (widescreen) instead of 16x9 (HD). 4K takes up double the space of HD which is 2k so studios mostly don't see the need and bandwidth wise for TV is just too costly to download. What ends up happening is that they compress more and that screws things up anyway. Also even blue ray would have trouble compressing to 4k.

For film, all digital theaters use Hard Drives for digital transfer and 4k means bigger hard drive which means greater cost. Because 2k still looks really good I don't see anyone going to 4k anytime soon.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote