Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Web 2.0

Alright, I've been hearing about this Web 2.0 for a while and I've been wondering what everyone's thoughts are pertaining to it.

Personally? I think it's overhyped. I don't see it being all that important, the majority of the Web 2.0 websites have eyebleed inducing color schemes and bubbly logos, as if they were designed by a 12 year old girl. It's not like the codebase is all that new, it's just that it's seeing more use recently.

What does everyone else think about Web 2.0?
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Re: Web 2.0

Do you have any examples of what you mean by "bubbly logos" etc?
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

I think you might be misunderstanding what Web 2.0 refers to. It's not a codebase of any sort. It's a very very very general and vague series of principles by which to build a so-called "second generation" online service. The term itself is kind of starting to feel a little dated so now people are even starting to talk about Web 3.0. (Frankly, every time I hear that I want to punch the person saying it, and it took me a long time to not feel the same way whenever anyone said, "Web 2.0".)

Wikipedia has a decent article on it:

I tend to agree with Tim Berners-Lee that the term is almost devoid of meaning given that there's nothing particularly new about so-called Web 2.0. Nevertheless, while they may not be new the way that many of the successful web 2.0 sites (like Flickr or Facebook) use the internet and the energy of online communities is something that MUD and MMO developers should be paying attention to.

When you look at where the vast majority of the most popular virtual worlds are coming from these days, it's the web side of things rather than the game side of things. The most successful are mixing them both, such as in the case of (recently sold to Disney for $350 million + an extra $350 million in incentives for the three founders).

Right now there's a lot of talking past each other though. A lot of the pure game developers are clueless about what so-called Web 2.0 can teach and a lot of pure web guys sound like cute little newbies when talking about adding game aspects their services. I didn't go to Austin Games Conference this year but apparently this division was pretty notable there. (Mike Morhaime's - leader of Blizzard - keynote was packed while Sulka Haro's (from Habbo) and Min Kim's (from Nexon...who did more than $400 million in virtual asset sales/pay-for-perks last year) were reportedly ill-attended by comparison.)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Ilkidarios

Oh, by codebase I mean Ruby on Rails and Ajax, which are sort of poster child codebases for Web 2.0, and while having existed for a while now, they are being seen as the "wave of the future" by Web 2.0 crusaders.

And for anybody looking for an example of horrible website design:

Note the bright blue coloring and the shiny look to everything.

And here's a fairly large image that is essentially the "face" of Web 2.0, a compilation of their collective logos:

Little side-note, just checked the Wikipedia article on it, it's decently done. I just have never been a big fan of Wikipedia. Ever since I saw an article on FTL travel which said that neurons could be transmitted at the speed of light I've been a little disillusioned.

Last edited by Ilkidarios : 09-11-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

I'm not really sure what I think not having been involved in a lot of Web 2.0 development and such. I do think, though, that bad web design is bad web design, and that might have very little to do with actual Web 2.0.

I do, however, like Facebook. It's interactive and fun when I have a spare moment. I like the thought of being able to create little games that can all be shared easily. It seems like a good outlet for creativity. If Web 2.0 allows things like that to exist, I'd be interested in taking a 2nd look. I can see how it would be an excellent tool for any game designers.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Ilkidarios

I guess what I really dislike about Web 2.0 is the fact that it's called Web 2.0. They're utilizing codebases that have existed for a long time (Ruby on Rails, Ajax) and acting like it's a web "revolution".

The man behind the term? Bill O'Reilly. That just makes it even worse, I see O'Reilly and all his croneys sitting at some big table discussing this so called "wave of the future". It just shows to me that a lot of mainstream marketing companies still don't understand the internet.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road

Um...the man behind the term is Tim O'Reilly, the founder of O'Reilly Media. He is not to be confused with Bill O'Reilly, the sanctimonious ultra-conservative pundit.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote