Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > The Break Room
Click here to Register

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
I am a role-playing snob.. shoot me

I play World Of Warcraft.. on a roleplaying server.. but lets face it, roleplay in WoW is a joke at best.. no matter what your definition of the term. I doubt 90% of the people on role play servers truely know what role play is in any context.

Even those folks who think they DO know what role play is clearly dont for the most part.

I think this was summed up quite nicely in a fourm thread started on the WoW Role Play forums when someone found out in the public test realm that creation of a camp fire would be reduced to 2 seconds.

Yes... they honestly complained about this little fact... forget the fact you no longer need wood or flint any more. Here goes

Have we become fire mages all of a sudden that we can make almost instant camp fires?

When I'm crafting something high on the skill list it takes about 5 seconds. That's short as it is.
Please don't make it all so trivial. It may seem convenient to have everything on fast cast times, it's not beneficial in an immersive kind of way.

oh my GOD! Here is someone who actually wants to watch a silly animation for ages just so he feels like he is creating a camp fire.. or making a sword (or whatever)

My reply was sufficiently sarcastic.. and distincltly snobbish

.... good grief.... Role play is ROLE PLAY... have you maybe considered

/kneel
/me starts to gather small sticks for a fire
/me assembles the small sticks in a pile
/me strikes his flint against his tinder until sparks fly
/me blows gently on the tiny flame that is starting to grow
click CAMPFIRE
/me adds larger logs to the growing flame

if you dont have the imagination for roleplay or to even make the game immersive, then please dont complain about it.

I am a snob.. not sharing due to my reply, but just to help us all appreciate what we have in MUD's with what else is out there at the moment.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
misao

misao is on a distinguished road
Re: I am a role-playing snob.. shoot me

Almost nobody plays WoW to roleplay. I've tried the roleplay servers as well, and I've seen virtually no IC going on. Might be different if you're in a guild or such, but for the main part most people just go around questing in silence as usual.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
MudMann

Indeed.. I tried being 'IC' for approx 2 days.. then just enjoyed the game for what it is. However there still are some diehards who keep trying.. and spend half their life SAY'ing in public places where everyone can hear 'Thats not RP.. this is an RP server...' blah blah... not quite noticing the hypocrisy.

Bless!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I'm kind of laughing that you actually thought you would find roleplay on a graphic game. Similar to thinking you would find in depth character development and delivery in a movie (while possible, very unlikely and never as robust as a book).

WoW is fun. It is entertainment. It is about neato things.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
MudMann

Like I said.. in the early days.. yes I did.. but 2 days later that illusion was shattered. However that was 3 years ago :-)

Yup, yup and yup

WoW fullfilled the casual gap in my life, and replaced the intensity of MUD's.. I tried more relaxed, less intense muds, but they just left me cold and disinterested. Wow would have been nice with a teensy bit of 'In Character' roleplay... but nah... its got none
Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
misao

misao is on a distinguished road

I dunno, I would actually say WoW is more about 'hardcore gaming' (or used to be, before they released ANoobArak) than most roleplaying games, 'hardcore' taken to mean min-maxing to get yourself to the top. Very few games require the sheer amount of effort and commitment that WoW does if you want to see top-tier content... or rather, it used to be that way before the last expansion. Definitely, the crowd there is more of the console gaming variety than the RPing variety, of course.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Role play servers on graphical MMOs are basically "the names are not QUITE as bad here" servers.

On thing that is sad is that Warhammer (see: ) is down to *one* roleplay server, and that is the lowest population server. There is talk it might get merged into one of the other servers, which will mean zero RP servers. That's a game with a very rich lore, and a lot of real game reasons to RP (due to the RvR content).

When I first played Anarchy Online, there was a lot of role playing. There were huge meetings (I played Clan side) on what to do in order to fight OmniTek. The devs ran giant events, invasions, all sorts of cool stuff. Of course, the designers put a lot of pro-RP tools in place. TONS of clothing, usable/carryable items (you actually held food and drink when eating/drinking - pretty minor, but not terribly common in MMOs). You could even walk around with a cheeseburger in your hand and wait for someone to say something about it.

But since then, I haven't seen any RP of note on any graphical game. It is a shame really.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road

Not for those of us who run MUDs though
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

No doubt. Never forget that we are the book and they are the movie.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
MudMann

Awesome comparison!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

We can tout about the greatness in a MUDs roleplay all we want. It depends on the players you gather together. I could put up a private WoW server and actively enforce roleplay. Not that it would matter, graphical games aren't conducive to great roleplay to begin with, even though it's possible. IE: Neverwinter Nights and it's RP servers have surprised me.

Blizzard is laughing about roleplaying all the way to the bank.

Last edited by Delerak : 09-29-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
MudMann

Excellent article. I was one of the people who preordered, and absolutly loved all the inovations of the game brought... simple things like being able to allocate priorities for bags for which one loot goes into... public quests, and the rather smashing witch hunter..

But 15 days in... I just lost interest.. and not sure why.. it had so much going for it, seemed relativly bug free.. I was actually enjoying the PvP which is unusual for me... but 15 days of my free subsciption just went unused, took a few months off, then went back to playing WoW casually.

Rerolled a horde character (first one) on a new realm.. still not reached level 80 with him, but mainly because I am still loving all the classic and BC content all over again... I think its becuase WoW is so HUGE, and highly polished.

I suspect AION will pretty much go the same way... there is, all said and done a limited MMO population... yes its numbered in millions, but it still has a fininte number... when new people flock to Aion for the newness... they will meet the invisible walls, experience the dodgy flying, experience what GRIND is really all about. Asian developed MMO's take grinding to a whole new level... imagine the Cenarion Circle bug killing quests in Sillithus... 60 of this, 60 of that.. imagaine that as a standard.. and you have Asians MMO's. Aion from what I hear is all about end-game... but to get there is not by any means a smooth ride...

Yes, I am going off hearsay.. I suspct AION is brilliant.. i just dont know, but I for one will not make the mistake of preordering a new game again... except maybe Star Trek :-)

Sorry.. I waffled again didnt I :-D