Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
eax

eax is on a distinguished road
How can I find a mud better than 3kindoms?

May seem like a strange question, however I started playing three kingdoms again, the quest rules make it damn tough but I am actually doing okay this time and out of all the muds Ive played the 3kingdoms quests have been the best and well thought out.

I like the fantasy theme and quests that feel like quests, have interactive NPCs , lots of mobs to fight, secret rooms, more npcs, clues etc

All the above being said I havent played too many muds and my logic is that considering the three kingdoms isnt always up there in terms of ranking I therefore suspect that I have missed out on some of the great muds. Could any of you suggest some muds that surpass 3k in terms of scope and quality?

I will be with 3k for a long time now as really enjoying it but just curious as to whats out there, one mud I did think was okay was achae which had a vampire theme but I didnt like the amount off pay to play stuff in it, in fact when suggesting any muds I would appreciate if only muds that have a money system like 3k or none at all are suggested. (3k has a vaf system but its good because the vafs are done so they dont imbalance the game so even if you dont donate you can still with no trouble have a great sustainable character in game - I plan to vaf soon and its because of the way it works that I am happy to do so)

I also like a mud with coherant maps, thorough guild system, guild quests, also able to keep your gear between reboots would be nice

Just getting my enthusiasm back for muds in general because you see I only started playing muds maybe 3 years ago and I think I have improved a bit where I can enjoy them more now as I am gradually learning some of the veteran builders mud syntax for quest solving

I did play the might and magic mud for a short time, however it was a knightmare to map, yes there are maps on the site but I like to be able to do my own.

Also I am using a registered version of portal but I am wandering if cmud is worth buying, also say I download the free version of cmud, do you get full functionality all but a nag screen?

Sorry about the huge post but I'm pondering the fact that I may visit Achae at some point, however I need someone to be brutally honest regarding the pay2play aspect of of achaea in that: "Is it estremely difficult to do top level end game stuff without putting in lots of money?" By lots of money I mean putting in £10.00 per month or more, the reality is if I was really getting somewhere I may put money in but I want to know that I could put say 10 pounds in per year and still get by to the same degree as other players?

Last edited by eax : 05-20-2009 at 08:32 AM.
eax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I find a mud better than 3kindoms?

> I like the fantasy theme and quests that feel like quests, have interactive NPCs , lots of mobs to fight, secret rooms, more npcs, clues etc
> I also like a mud with coherant maps, thorough guild system, guild quests, also able to keep your gear between reboots would be nice
> brutally honest regarding the pay2play aspect

You may perhaps try Arctic MUD. The game exists since 1992, our world is huge, elaborated and well tested by time. The theme of the game is Dragonlance, and we're proud that Arctic follows the books very accurately in many details (including the world map). Guilds, quests, secrets, hidden treasure - we have lots of that and much more.

The common policy of the game is not sharing the information - you're free to discuss your findings with other players privately, but making the game secrets and quest solutions publicly available is not allowed. As the result, Arctic is full of challenge, rumours and intrigue.

Arctic is free, was always free and will remain free and never become a commercial project. You don't have to pay for play, for perks or for anything else, never. There were a few fund-raisers in the history of Arctic (e.g. for a new server back then when the band-width wasn't sufficient, ~10 years ago), but the volunteers were not to expect any bonuses to their chars in exchange for their donations.

There is just one aspect that you didn't mention, however, it may be important. Arctic is an unrestricted PK MUD, any character may attack and kill any other, any time and for any reason or for no visible reason at all. The characters that don't actively seek PvP usually don't get attacked often, however, you must be prepared to be killed by another player earlier or later. If you absolutely loathe playerkilling, Arctic MUD is definitely not the game for you. If you can deal with it, give us a try!

Edited:
P.S. And as to your request about player guilds in another thread, Arctic does have player clans that may build clan castles, fight each other and do many other interesting things.

Last edited by nasredin : 05-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
eax

The playerkilling aspect will be something new, but yes the mud sounds extremely interesting. Questing is something I enjoy although sometimes it can be frustrating if Im looking in the wrong area because of my own preconcived ideas, however most are very fun

I have alot of mileage still with three kingdoms but I will definatly make a point of checking Arctic. As someone who is always reading about muds, on and off for the last 3 or so years I have noticed that the top ranked muds have not changed much and this is just an observation, not meant as troll bate but I am putting less stock in the rankings as I have found muds like you have described , not necessarly top ranked to be high quality which is why I ask people does you mud have x,y and z as I have tried many of the top 5 ranked ones many times over.

It sounds like your has some similarities to 3kingdoms orr vica versa (Definately not a bad thing) plus some twists of its own, also like the sound of the clan thing.

In regards to PvP I must ask is it possible that veteran players can camp vital newbie areas and repeatedly kill the same person to stop them getting access and for amusement? Also is PvP done in a reasoned way e.g for RP puposes plus a case of "My clan/faction" is at war with "another/clan faction" or is it more like total anarchy?

Thanks very much for your reply!

Also in relation to P2P I can totally respect the fact that you have to have the odd funds drive but you seem to do it on the same concept that is done for the game dwarf fortress and that game does well with donations because it rocks and everyone wants to see it stay. I actually read earlier today someone with the same P2P stance as I have and some of these muds the only way to be the best you can be is through regular money , like already mentioned though if someone were to say taking voluntary donations to help with server costs I would definatly donate when I could if I was a regular in game. (Great to know end game is not a case of battle of the wallets )

Last edited by eax : 05-20-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Cmud: Definately worth the money for the features.

Try out Achaea or any of the Iron Realms games as they are all well worth any money you may put into them (you get what you pay for so to speak). Aardwolf also fits well into the style you seem to be looking for.

If you are into multiple brain teasing quests and aren't stuck for medieval fantasy go for 4Dimensions.

If you want emphasis on serious roleplay try Threshold or New Worlds Ateraan.

All of the games above are excellent in terms of playability, quests, interaction, functionality, combat, etc. Each have different styles, so you will have to find out what is best for you.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road

Good questions about PvP, Eax. Basically, Arctic tries to follow the "have fun but don't ruin the fun of others" principle. In other words, a powerful player going on a rampage spree and killing everyone in sight is ok, but camping at a newbie area SPECIFICALLY to make the life of the new players miserable is not ok and the offender may be punished by the immortals that oversee the MUD. Remember, even if you don't see any imms on-line, some of them may be still watching unseen what is going on.

In fact, many our players, including some powerful clan leaders, understand the need to grow the playerbase routinely (since many of us are getting old and spend less and less time in the game and we need new players to make sure the game lives another 10 years after we quit). Thus, the offender may be hunted and blasted even before the immortals take action.

Finally, Arctic is huge and almost every major city has some park, sewers or garden suitable for a new player to practice their skills and get a few levels. If one newbie area becomes dangerous, just move on to another one. You should definitely start your first char in Solace and take a tour with our excellent newbie guide npc, but then you may try other cities, too. Each location is different and has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

As to RP, Arctic is not a RP MUD. Clan wars are responsible for a lot of deaths, but killing someone to get some of their eq is a very common reason also. You may provide a reason for pkill or even come up with a RP story and the other players may find it amusing, but you're not required to do that. "I have a sword and they have a neck" is a sufficient reason for an attack.

However, remember - the victim may have friends; be prepared for a retaliation attack! Our environment is not complete anarchy - anyone can kill anyone else, but many players choose their victims carefully and tend to attack only enemies. In fact, our clans initially formed as the groups of friends helping each other and warring against other similar groups; the clan castles and other neat things were added to the game much later.

If you seek complete anarchy, we have that too. From time to time, Arctic has a special event called a "chaos day". For a few hours, the players kill each other non-stop, even the clan members attack their fellows. Now and then, the gods grant special powers to the players to see even more bloody carnage. In the end, the game is restored from the backup and the life continues as if the chaos day never happened.

Last but not least, some of our players did a better job of writing about the game than I do. Here is an example of clan ethics in Arctic MUD (does it count as RP?):
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
eax

Nasredin that Red goblins law thing is brilliant Really well written. Im kinda stuck on a quest at 3 kingdoms at the momment so I am going to give it one more shot and then if I cant get it im going to pop onto your mud, I think I will use both muds in times where Im hitting a brick wall with quests, that way I will do better when I revisit them, plus minimises frustration

Gonna check theshold as well at some point