Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 10-11-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
kesumi

kesumi is on a distinguished road
I am looking for experienced coders to work on building a Midkemia based mud from the ground up.

Experience with C and circlemud is necessary.

I am currently in correspondance with the license holders of the midkemia world, attempting to make this an officially sanctioned project, so please email me if you want to be a part this of exciting venture.

kesumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Sorry to tell you this, but Raymond E Feist does not allow people to use his work for creating muds. There was a post about this in May 2001 which quoted an email in which Mr Feist described his reasoning, but the short of it was that he has plans for licensing his work within commercial online games, and ignoring your mud would reduce his ability to profit from such ventures. I can reproduce the full email if you wish.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
Jedediah

Jedediah is on a distinguished road
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
kesumi

Old 10-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Here is Mr Feist's email:

Old 10-13-2002, 01:14 AM   #6
kesumi

thank KaVir, that sheds some light on the subject for me. Though, after reading that I still hold plenty of hope that my project will be approved, even if held on a tight leash.

Is anyone aware of the current state of Riftmush?
Old 10-13-2002, 08:25 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

The world of Midkemia would make a wonderful setting for a mud, but you really should think carefully before going ahead with it, even if you do gain permission. Do you really want to put countless hours of time and effort into something that Mr Feist could turn around at any point and say "I'm creating a commercial mud now, so you're going to have to delete your work"?

This seems particularly a shame as you're building your game from the ground up, rather than deriving it from an existing codebase. Thus I would suggest that if you go ahead with this, you create the game engine in such a way that it has NOTHING to do with the world of Midkemia, and that the game world stuff is simply slotted in. That way if you suddenly lose permission to use the Midkemia setting, at least you don't lose all of your work.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I think the only people with permission to make games using the Midkemia theme right now would be Iron Realms Entertainment - unless that agreement with Feist has fallen through.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Brody is correct, and we would not permit anyone else to build a MUD based on Midkemia. RIFTMush, incidentally, is no longer operational and will not be coming back.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
Gromble

Gromble is on a distinguished road
This is unfortunate for the mudding community and, IMO, short sighted on the part of the author.

It's unfortunate for the mudding community because the author's works will be limited to IRE's interpretation and implementation. I'm not saying the product will be inferior, but now the imagination and innovation applied to these works by third-parties will never be realized.

It's short-sighted of the author because, let's face it, the revenue stream generated by this text-mud enterprise isn't going to be significant - it's a niche market of a niche market of a niche market. Personally, I think it makes far more business sense to get broader exposure for his works through as many mud's as possible with the reasonable expectation that the exposure will translate in more sales of his publications.

The author need not forgoe his rights in doing so, simply by requiring and ensuring mud implementors have his permission. This is actually to his benefit as he can maintain some degree of quality control to protect his "brand".

Just my thoughts on this type of exclusive licensing.
Gromble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

The thing is, if it's a niche market of a niche market of a niche market (which it is) and thus won't generate much revenue for him because of the tiny size of the market, then letting people develop at will is going to be quite ineffective at exposing people to his publications, as it will reach only a relatively few people via said tiny market.

Anyway, it's his decision, of course, and he's in a better position to decide what's important to him and how he's likely to achieve that than we are.

--matt
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 AM   #12
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
I'll make a mud based on Midlukemia(sp?) just to spite you all. I bet you couldn't get me to take it down either.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #13
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 AM   #14
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
How much you want to bet? I'll get a good european server and tell you to #### off and laugh while doing it. You people think you can stop this?! No one can stop this!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #15
Maelgrim

Maelgrim is on a distinguished road
Maelgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I hereby trademark the name "Midthievia"™ (no relation to Medthievia™) for use in the ironic debate about intellectual property rights that would follow.  I will grant the right to use it so long as the trailing ™ is included.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #17
the_logos
Legend

A Midkemia MUD running on stolen IP wouldn't be the first MUD in Europe that I've had shut down. They have laws and lawyers to assist in dealing with the laws there too you know!

--matt
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #18
Delerak

Hahaha. You think you can shut me down? I'm going to put a midkemia mud up right now and start adding it to databases. I guess I should read the books.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #19
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #20
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
Delerak should go out & get laid so he can take the huge chip off his shoulder!!
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Midkemia Mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midkemia Online seeks builders. the_logos Advertising for Staff 1 01-16-2006 02:22 PM