Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Working on our parser:

We routinely log and analyze "failed" commands that get input, so that our parser can give smarter help than just letting the player know it's an unrecognized command. Where I'm looking for help are a few commands where my intuition that the player is looking for something specific, likely from other games, but I'm not quite sure what. If anyone has input as to what these players are trying to do, please let me know and I'll try to 'translate' that into the nearest command on our game.

To organize all the data, I've snipped them down to the first word, so assume there may be missing arguments afterwards. (i.e. friend (person's name), or whatever)

Some reasonably high-frequency attempts where I'm puzzled:
autoaim
autolook
continue
crop
display
friend
inherit
more
name
page
path
prof
ready (Put object into a hand?)
room
short
survey
term
what
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Working on our parser:

Just my thoughts on what these could be. Some I have seen before, some guessing.

autoaim - no idea
autolook - no idea
continue - could be they feel an NPC or text announce has more to say, or see more
crop -no idea
display - looking for a config display?
friend - some games have friend systems, where you can add friends and be auto-notified when they log in.
inherit - no idea
more - looks like trying to continue a long help file (some would use C for continue, or just enter).
name - renaming?
page - like a tell?
path - some games allow paths for new players, and this might be checking for a list of available set paths to starting areas
prof - class, profession
ready (Put object into a hand?) - wear/wield all
room - no idea
short - short adjective, games that have introduction systems allow setting a "short" , a gnome, short balding, a balding gnome
survey - scan, look through all open exits and see what you can see
term - no idea
what - they are obviously lost...

Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

Hmm. Most obvious ones:

short - Not sure what Mabus is describing, but some places this may be the equivalent of "brief", for room descriptions. I.e., show the room title, but not all the description.

term - terminal configuration, for setting you default colors for things, and turning on/off features. Some games, despite the fact that ansi negotiation has existed since well before muds, insist on starting in black and white, then forcing the user to "turn on" the ansi and other systems. This never made much sense to me, since I would have thought that *testing* for ansi, then asking (after you create the character, or log in the first time, so you don't have to keep doing it, ask, "Blah MUD has detected that you can use color, do you want to activate it? Y/N" That, or just turn it on anyway, and let them use 'term', or the local equivalent, to turn it off.

Guesses...:

autolook - May be used to run a "scan" of surrounding rooms, like the 'survey' command Mabus mentioned, but every time you enter a room, without you having to type it.

The rest... You have got me.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Continuence from Mabus

autoaim - Target for projectile weapons, autoaims at the most powerful npc.
autolook - Some muds don't autolook on entry to a room.
continue - could be they feel an NPC or text announce has more to say, or see more
crop -This is a system command to crop rather than wrap a long spam.
display - Some games allow you to set your display type (this is an older terminal type command a similar command is cols/rows (setting for column width and rows)
friend - some games have friend systems, where you can add friends and be auto-notified when they log in. This can also designate a familiar and wether you have one.
inherit - This is normally a controller command for builders they may be testing your system for backdoor cheats.
more - looks like trying to continue a long help file (some would use C for continue, or just enter). The more command is a parser command and sometimes lets you set the cols rather than show above in "display"
name - renaming? This can also be confused with the alias command.
page - like a tell? This is like a pager to staff members. OR it can be similar to cols.
path - some games allow paths for new players, and this might be checking for a list of available set paths to starting areas. OR this can be another backdoor for builders/creators.
prof - class, profession
ready (Put object into a hand?) - wear/wield all. Yes, this is an equip everything command.
room - no idea.
short - short adjective, games that have introduction systems allow setting a "short" , a gnome, short balding, a balding gnome. Usually a creator command showing the short description of an object.
survey - scan, look through all open exits and see what you can see.
term - Terminal type command. Very old.
what - they are obviously lost. In some games this gives you available commands in certain circumstances. This is rarely identifiable.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

autoaim - combat command for projectile weapon use.
continue - command for game to "continue" sending data to the player's client after pausing it (such as more, or simply hitting enter to get long helpfiles and such)
display - may possibly be the same as typing "exits" in some games.
name - MOO command prefaced by @ to give a name to an object (example: @name knife dagger or @name elf Jimbob)
page - MOO command for GM to send private "tell" to another GM or player, prefaced by @
room - MOO command prefaced by @ - used in building, can't remember exactly how though.
short - allows a player to set a temporary short description in some games, part of chargen for permanent short description in others.

It looks like some of this stuff is primarily moo-related, and others look to be client codes. Probably players in a rush, trying to alt-tab and missing
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road

page: a MUSH/MUX command equivalent to a "tell" in other games: an OOC private communication between two characters (usually abbreviated to just "p"). The full syntax is "page <list of chars>=<msg>".
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road

autoaim: Some games allow you to lock onto your target so that every attack is aimed at them, also may be an attempt to lock onto anything that attacks them
autolook: Look the room description when you move, if you darken descriptions at night this might be triggering people to attempt to look the room?
friend: Friend someone, friend list, friend channel?
name: If you are trying to interact with a mob of which you know no appropriate keyword for they might be trying to get a name, or if players only get a short desc available and no actual name that you can see, they might be trying to figure out the actual name of the "Thick limping gnome with bright eyes and floating cloak" in front of them.
page: BEEP. Some games allow you to beep someone with a page system, a way to call someone's attention
path: Some games tell you the general direction of places. Path dungeon, => you sense the dungeon lies north from here, sort of thing
prof: Proficiencies?
ready (Put object into a hand?): ready, draw, wield?
survey: scan nearby rooms, see what is around, look for mobs, hidden stuff

These are either commands I have seen or things that the commands made me think of

Last edited by Spoke : 05-04-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added thing to 1st item
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote