Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 07-03-2003, 07:00 AM   #1
Dumbledore

Dumbledore is on a distinguished road
i remember running across a site that was linked to nick gammons awhile back but seem to have lost it,it was a complete newbie immortals guide to getting started,was wondering if any of you out there could help me out with a must have list of commands to make your immortal your own?
holylight is the only thing i remember from the post but there was an explanation on how t set all your attributes to the max as well as spells so you would be basically untouchable as well as a guide to customizing what your immortal was wearing.any help at all would be appreciated,was something like a step by step guide for dummies
Dumbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:58 AM   #2
markizs

markizs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to markizs
what codebase, mudlib etc are you talking about? there isnt only one generic around.
markizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:02 AM   #3
Dumbledore

heh sorry running on serious lack of sleep,the cosebase i was referring to is smaug
Old 07-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
erdos

*sighs* This always gets on my nerves. Why do some people always feel compelled to fully max everything and deck themselves out when they are immortal? At that point it doesn't matter! Someone with all the stats shoved to the very limits of their variable types, is just as good a builder/admin/coder as someone with stats all at 1 and naked. I can understand imms making some novelty items to wear, RP type things. I cannot understand imms invoking and wearing the equipment regarded as the "elite" hero eq on that particular MUD.
I remember one pesky little "builder" on DragonSpun FaerieTales, back when it was still up, who did nothing at all except invoke av level equipment, goto players and gloat about said equipment.
You'll notice if you look at just about any truly good immortal, their equipment (if they are wearing any) will be thematic, usually renames and things which are not accessible to players. When I see an imm wearing a full set of [insert the MUD's toughest av level mob here\ equipment, I can tell they are a newbie.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:26 AM   #5
Dumbledore

in response to your post,i wasnt asking that question so i could make uber items and brag about my attributes,the reason i wanted to know is because it would be inconvenient at the very least to be attacked by a player and killed while im in the middle of some roleplay or altering items for other charcters.(ive seen it happen countless times before)yeah i could ban said individual but i would rather bypass that problem altogether by making myself untouchable by anyone save another immortal in game.
as far as the tone of your post goes,as cocky,arrogant and condescending as you sound you dont seem that far removed from the person you were whining about to begin with
Old 07-05-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You've seen immortals killed by mortals "countless times before"? Despite the fact that immortals are hardcoded in such a way that they cannot fall below 1 hp, and therefore cannot die, on almost all codebases?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking maybe you are referring to hack and slash games and not to RPIs..

But my GM experience included several deaths of the characters I played while in "GM-Mode." Some of them were intentional - I purposely gave the players a reason to want my character dead, so that I could finish up or move a plotline along. Some of them were unintentional, but hey - that's all part of the RP, and it wasn't my job to force the players to react however I wanted them to act. It was my job to present the plotline and let them react however it was appropriate for their character to react.

If that meant my NPC died, oh well.

But if I had some reason to be invincible, it wasn't hard at all. Just change my HPs to 1000, change my level to 500, change my dodge skill to 999, my weapon skill to 999 and poof - invincible NPC.

It certainly was not hard-coded. We were required to create believable NPCs. A little girl showing up lost and scared should -not- be impervious to attack. A priest of Falia should not be "immortal," but should have the same strengths and weaknesses that any other priest of his/her particular race would have. Perhaps the background of that priest includes focused study on druidry, which would mean she's better at it than the usual citizen, but she should still be killable by at least -someone.-
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #8
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:31 AM   #9
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I guess that explains why we weren't called immortals. GMs (Game Masters) aren't necessarily immortal. They are, only if the admin creates them as such.

In addition, some games won't allow their staff to show up in the game -as- staff members. It ruins the continuity and the suspension of disbelief for GM-Joe to poof into a room and interact with the characters played by regular players.

In an RPI, the GM is part of the background, that invisible weave that makes the world work. Heck, even if I was testing a player to make sure they weren't abusing the "no afk-scripting" rule, I'd often change my name to "troll" and give myself a quicky 3 line description and remove my clothes just so the player, if they WERE there, would see that they're interacting with a troll, not a staff member.

Sometimes even this little detail during script-checking could result in a fun RP moment if the player was paying attention. One time I posed as a spirit haunting a mining cavern. The player was paying attention afterall, and after around a half hour of emotes and his interaction with this "spirit," a new plotline had formed for the game.

This could never happen if I had just shown up as GM-Whoever.

I don't believe staff members have any business showing up as their GM-selves in a roleplaying game. Not even a roleplaying encouraged one, because their presence DIScourages roleplay.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:33 PM   #10
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Actually I'm referring to stock Smaug, which is the codebase Dumbledore was specifically asking about.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:32 PM   #11
Ingham

I suggest hitting said immortals with a large blunt object untill they stop moving. Quite effective!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:48 PM   #12
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I've been an Immortal a looooonnnngggg time and I wear a coonskin cap, a comfy pair of boxer shorts and wield an uberforged flyswatter. None of it really matters, well, except for the flyswatter cause when I use it there seems to be some sort of subliminal message dealt. Hehe, oh well, I have sharp teeth.

Regardless of what code base you use, you really should see all syslog, comm channels, have holylight, normally start invisible, color complete, !hassle if enabled, roomflags and numbers as well as exits. They can certainly be overwhelming at first but you'll get used to them over time and need to realize as a newbie Imm, it will only get worse later if you advance.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #13
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
Hey me too! Only I don't wear any boxers.

[Edit- added] N/m about this post, I just realized you meant your character on a mud not you irl. Now I'm just red in the face. Not that it matters since I am immortal.
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #14
Ingham

Too much information.... WAAAY too much information!

sugestions for new immortals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creative and laidback immortals mikosevaar Advertising for Staff 0 01-06-2004 10:12 AM
Seeking immortals mikosevaar Advertising for Staff 0 12-10-2003 04:25 AM
legacy of the Dragonlance Needs Immortals Milan Advertising for Staff 0 09-21-2002 06:20 PM
To Kali and Moonbeam, Realms of Despair immortals nass Tavern of the Blue Hand 3 05-04-2002 08:39 PM