Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 08-25-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
So I read in one of Brody's articles, that he believes that player led plots usually end badly. My apologies, I can't seem to find which article it was and so I can't quote his words exactly.

I'm interested to hear about plots you or your players have started, and if they indeed did end in disaster or badly. Are all player led plots doomed? If so, why or why not?
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I find that the only real reason many player-initiated plots fail is because of one of three things: 1) the player didn't understand the game world well enough, 2) the player tried to manage some personal benefit through the plot without regard to how events should unfold naturally, 3) lack of adequate staff support when needed as the plot evolves.

Likewise, I've seen staff-run plots fail for the same reasons, though in the case of #2, it was more a result of a preconceived notion as to how it should end rather than personal benefit which blinded the staff member guiding it.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Define 'end badly'.

I've been in on dozens of player-led plots, all of which have been amusing. I either came out on top, or I died. Mmm. Neither of which I would define as 'ending badly' if the situation is well played from those involved.

I've had a number of staff led plots end in ****ing disaster, though, as most of the time seeing a Staff send an echo gives players the willies or causes immediate stupidness. Suddenly instead of fun roleplaying everyone is standing around like eager jackasses, waiting for the next uberstaff-echo.

I think completely staff plot-lines should only be occasional, world-shiftng events, while the quest for the perfect ale, the quest for the BONE sword of retribution and other small-scale plots should be helped along, but left more or less to the players.

Just my opinion, though. I've also had some amazing staff-led plots.

-WP
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Steel Leopard

Steel Leopard is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Steel Leopard Send a message via Yahoo to Steel Leopard
I've seen and been around some player-led plots that ended badly or were never allowed to get off the ground because of the purposeful actions of other players or immortals.

By "purposeful" actions, I mean doing stuff with the intent to kill the morale and fun of the people actually involved in the plotline -- not something "bad" or unseen that occurred naturally ICly.

Its crude, but this has been the main reason plots have failed that I have seen, second only to players with little to no experience in the game they are playing in.
Steel Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
We recently had Raheena, a completely obnoxious necromancer belonging to a sort of doomsday cult called the .  Like many senior (and very few successful ones, perhaps 2 per RL calendar year), Raheena began seeking a recipe for an Elixir that would enable her to undergo the Becoming, a process guaranteeing her an unaging existence as an undead .  (Liches can be permanently slain in combat or through other means, but they do not age, among many other perks.)

These Elixirs require a number of exceedingly rare ingredients, customized to the necromancer in question.  Mortals must seek out someone who knows of such things.  (By unfortunate chance, all of those people tend to live in horribly inaccessible and hostile locations, and many necromancers die horribly just seeking such a being.)  Also, knowledge of this sort tends to drive one insane, which makes negotiating with these prospective teachers a rather involved and also deadly process.

Raheena managed to convince such a teacher to part with such information, and obtained a list of ingredients.  Over time, she was able to track all but one of them down.  (By unfortunate chance, they all seemed to be located in obscure and horribly dangerous locales.)

During this process, Raheena had been trying to get other people to help her.  She was demanding, obnoxious, and often derided them behind her back.  Eventually, however, she was approached by another nefarious (PC) figure who (probably unbeknownst to Raheena) happened to have a working business relationship of sorts with , a god associated with thievery, commerce, and some less savory topics.  Rumors persist that bribes of various sorts were exchanged.  

However, this figure happened to possess exactly what Raheena was looking for, and was willing to hand it over free of charge!  Many people would be suspicious of such a friendly gesture among the Scions, especially from someone they verbally abused whenever possible, but not Raheena.

So Raheena gleefully returned to her mentor, a sack of ingredients in hand.  The mentor reminded Raheena of the price of failure or ineptitude, and Raheena hurriedly brushed him aside and had him commence brewing, which he did.

The next evening, the Elixir was prepared.  Raheena greedily quaffed it down, and learned that sadly, forgeries of ingredients do not behave quite like authentic ones.  Necromancy is something of an exact science.

She was debatably fortunate.  Many who drink an Elixir die horribly and instantly.  Raheena was merely permanently maimed, afflicted with terrible amnesia with respect to her prior training, and forever cursed with an intellect an orc would shun.  Soon after realizing that she would forever be a shell of her former self, she took her own life.

All things considered, Raheena's player , especially given that he's sort of a hothead.  That other guy is probably still laughing, though.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote