Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Tjnet88

Tjnet88 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Tips, URLs to a website where i can download something and start making my MUD, General info,Other kinds of URLs to help me(Please say whats in there and why i should read it) and Anything else to help me!
Tjnet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
First, welcome to the forum, I noticed this is your first post. Next, a gentle scolding: You posted in the "Builder's Forum," which is supposed to be designated for builders to discuss building issues, not owners to discuss mud development issues.

I'm guessing (though I could be wrong) that this means you don't realize a builder isn't the person who actually starts up the creation process of the mud. If this is the case, I would urge you to learn the different terms used before trying to start one of your own.

Then, outline what kind of mud you want. A diku? A pure C-language? Some kind of SMAUG derivitive? Once again, if you don't know what these things are, you -really- need to learn the terms before you even start thinking about creating your own.

Will it be a roleplaying game primarily, or more of a hack-n-slash? Do you want classes and skillsets, or do you want something different? Different code bases specialize in different things, though many of them can be tailored by the coder to suit the needs of the mud owner.

Do you want to do all the coding yourself, or do you just want to write up the general theme and idea of the game and have someone else do the mechanical work?

I wish I could offer you more helpful information, but without any from your end there's no way anyone can really suggest things you should do. We don't know what you've already done, or know how to do, or know what you're looking for.

In the meantime, there are dozens of posts here (look for pretty much anything by Brody, KaVir (especially regarding Godwars), Ntanel, and yeesh - a few others as well for tons of info on existing codebases and alternatives to using existing codebases. Check the coder's folder, the mud admin folder, and those should give you enough data to pour over for awhile.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
Tjnet88

Arrow

Yes okay heres all the info i can think of and awnsers to your questions

UNIQUE all the way
Yes i would like to give out the theme and ideas and have people help

Theme:FFX's Zanarkand city will be where everything is (After all if you dont know Zanarkand its about the size of a large state or more)
What to do IG: This will be somewhat based on TEC's play, Choose a class, Choose Human or Al bhed, Get a job get money mabye make your own buisness (all i can think of for now)
Classes: Chocobo raiser, Fiend fighter, Machina(Machine) Builder, Merchant/Trader, BLITZBALL PLAYER!!! Or just a citizen (More when i can think of them)
Blitzball: A kick butt sport, Football soccer and swimming combined!
Chocobo:Looks like a chicken and a Ostrage combined..Kinda
Currency: Zinny
How to script the game of Blitzball: I have no idea, I'll have to think about it i want fast pace kind of stuff i dont want swim north then west then kick ball into net, I want one large room or if possible(Wich is what i want) Rooms you can move around but everyone in the arena and inside the playing area can see the movments and where everyone is, Shooting passing catching ect ect skills will be added if you choose blitzball player as your class(There will have to be Requirments you will need to be a citizen and other stuff, Cant think of a good way to make it)
Blitzball playing field description: Its a giant orb in the center of a large arena the orb is filled with water (All blitzball players can hold the breathes for hours)
Jobs: Chocobo Racer/Manager
Chocobo ranch owner(Raise larger numbers of chocobos)
Agency owner (Advanced job, Veary veary hard to get must be Merchant/trader to start one) (Agency is like a franchise)
Blitzball player/manager/owner
Fiend hunter
Buisness owner
TransportsOnly these and no others unless i can think of more or change my mind) Chocobo, Walking, Airship and boat.
Airship:Airships are large machine ships that can hover pretty much or fly veary fast (They almost have Enersha) Some may be equiped with weapons and all of them have lots of walking and storing space
How to script Airship: At many places where you can land Airships (To land go to cockpit room and type land airship) then once outside (Must walk through ship to an exit and input password) and typing board will bring you to the door of the ship on the outside (Same as landing put in password and walk in, close door and walk to cockpit room).
Al bhed:Look just like human, enter game with Al bhed language (If you give me your Email, Thats if you will help me, I can give you a program that translates english to al bhed) but there eyes, Allways green, Have black swirl loops in them, No pupil or slight small pupils.
Housing: Everyone will be able to buy/rent/lease a house and they range from cheap to veary expinsive and can buy items and 'Place <item> on/in/under/onto <Object/ect>
(Posting second for fear of cut off)
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Tjnet88

(Just to let you know, Yes i am a fast learner, No i dont know alot of mud terms can you refer a url to help me learn?)
Leaving Zanarkand: You can only go so far (Mabye 10k rooms outside of Zanarkand) Wich will have Fiends left and right, No other citys...Mabye..Mabye player built and run citys but not sure on it.
Leveling: Yes
Hp:No We work with limb info like right arm is slightly bruised to no right arm or something(Like TECs health system)
Mana:Yes, Lol i just forgot to add the classes of white mage and black mage
Online staff names: (Ie: wizards gods immortals in other games) Rambans (Al bhed for Helpers)
How to script Machina builders: Take one item and another, Mabye more, Combine(If you can think of a better word please tell me) them and make Arm1 or just a part of the machina then combine all parts once done and there you go! a Mob pet (Think of commands for them later)
Well thats alot isnt it? I'm sure you get the idea, I have alot more if you want to hear later.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
Ntanel

Ntanel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Ntanel
Your first mistake is wanting to start a MUD.  Why you ask?  Because you are just about to sell your soul to Satan.  Sleep, money, time, a life... Forget it all!  Run while you can!

If you think you can survive going without the joys of life, enjoy the advice you get. For the rest of your life the advice you get will become the pages of your bible.  Muhahahaha!
Ntanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
John

John is on a distinguished road
This is IMO. But if your going to ask people to hand you everything to you on a silver platter. Your going to fail.

Go search for links yourself. Not only will it be more rewarding, you'll begin to get a better idea of what mudding is about as you read websites by accident.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
Tjnet88

I'm young, Most of my life is on the computer and in TV lol
Old 01-31-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Tjnet88

I'm looking for help not asking that everyone serve me, Thats why i started this post
Old 01-31-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
Tjnet88

I'll check those URLs thanks and i know it will be alot of hard work but i can do it, Any more information from anyone is good.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #12
Tjnet88

Okay i think ive found a place to Host my mud and a good mud client to run my mud
I need Builders...Um i think thats it, I still got some reading to do but thanks alot for those URLs! they really help
Old 01-31-2004, 12:57 PM   #13
Lodes

Lodes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lodes
Lodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:12 PM   #14
Tjnet88

So then i just make a document with every detail of how i want this game created and if i do get people to build i have them read it, Correct?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:44 PM   #15
Kyndig

Kyndig is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kyndig Send a message via AIM to Kyndig Send a message via Yahoo to Kyndig
explains step by step how to start up, compile and modify your first mud.

-Kyndig
Kyndig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:11 PM   #16
Tjnet88

The html on that website is all messed up, Its hard to read, I'll need something that wont cunfuse me as much
Old 01-31-2004, 03:15 PM   #17
Tjnet88

Nevermind i think i can understand it
Old 01-31-2004, 11:52 PM   #18
Lodes

Lodes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lodes
Lodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:58 AM   #19
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #20
Tjnet88

I want to make a mud, Can anyone help me with tips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, I'm going to make a MUD... Drealoth Advanced MUD Concepts 1 01-23-2006 08:33 PM
Looking for emote tips Feral Hound Roleplaying and Storytelling 22 04-18-2005 10:11 PM
can you make weapon web ppl? UnKnOwN1205 MUD Coding 3 07-06-2004 11:54 PM
Think you can make your mark? Myra Advertising for Players 0 02-16-2004 02:53 AM
The clothes make the mob? Adelai MUD Builders and Areas 21 09-22-2003 09:33 AM