Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #41
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for RP-focused MUD with as little combat as possible

Not all MUDs have implemented support for the MSSP Telnet, MSSP plain text, or other protocols needed to report to mudstats.com. So while it may be a guide toward games that have this support, it is just a guide, and not always accurate.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #42
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I don't even consider 2-3 lines as a "block" of text. That's just natural conversation imho.

But for the same reason that we use paragraphs in written works, I find large 10-20 line emotes really cumbersome to read. Since such emotes often have many actions that are only slightly connected to each other, I think they read better when broken up a bit. But like you say, its all personal preference.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #43
Threshold
Legend

LOL. Did that troll actually try to argue that the existence of a "last say" buffer is anti-RP?

Do ARMPG muds ban scrollbacks in mud clients then? Or the piping of certain channels or modes of communication to separate windows in the client?

No?

Oh, then he was just trolling again. I get it.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #44
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

Agreed. I prefer shorter, single-sentence emotes for individual actions unless those actions are directly connected to one another. But as has been said, it's a matter of personal preference and to each their own.

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #45
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

No. My argument is that you are coding something to support metagaming. You can't do anything if a player decides to log everything that happens and then use that as the memory for their character. That's up to them and their client and their scrollback. But specifically coding it into the mud says a lot about your philosophy on Roleplaying.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #46
misao

misao is on a distinguished road

Eh, I guess it's not so much the lines as the style. Assuming that a certain situation calls for very little speech, as an example:

This is what I prefer:

xxx raises her eyes to yyy, fidgeting with the hem of her dress. "No," she replies him absent-mindedly, before turning to watch the two people fighting in the square. "What are they doing?" she inquires, brows knitting in confusion.

This is what I don't prefer:

xxx looks at yyy
xxx says, "No."
xxx turns to watch zzz and aaa fight.
xxx asks, "What are they doing?"
xxx frowns in confusion

Hope that clears up some stuff.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #47
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

What you prefer is a mush pose. What you don't prefer is a "rp-allowed but don't expect much because we haven't coded any support for it" type of game.

An RPI falls between the two. With an RPI, you can't do -exactly- what you prefer, but you can do much more than what you don't prefer. Using your example:

Raising her eyes to YYY and fidgeting with her dress, XXX says, absentmindedly "No."
XXX asks, brows knitting in confusion as she turns to watch the fight in the square, "What are they doing?"

The reason it needs to be different, is to allow for the difference in languages. If this was said by a vulcan, in an RPI star trek game, it might look like this:

Raising her eyes to YYY and fidgeting with her dress, XXX says, in an unrecognizable language, "Vrp."
XXX asks, brows knitting in confusion as she turns to watch the fight in the square, in an unrecognizable language, "Klzt mer stef kaarg?"
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
misao

Right, what I prefer is a MUSH pose, then.

I don't mind your example, Jazuela. As long as people actually do it that way instead of the way my 2nd example listed.

So... I want MUSH posing but in a game where people actually come out to RP together instead of huddling in rooms with their elite partner(s) and there are hard-coded things that affect your character.

Would that be a good way to describe it?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #49
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you're looking for a game like Armageddon, Harshlands, Shadows of Isildur. Or, a faster paced, non-furry mush with coded systems. You can find both in the TMS listings, right here on this website. I don't go for the long-winded poses, and I definitely don't like the "verblists." I do love coded systems, but I -also- like games in which killing things is not required to enjoy and gain influence. I like political structures that require thought and effort, rather than typing "kill kobold" over and over again until you get enough exp to lvl. However, I -do- like the option of killing stuff, when the scene calls for it. By killing, I mean - dead. I don't mean "omg you killed me i am a gost someone rezz me so i can kill u back u make me lose 2000 exp i kill u 3 times when i get a rezz wtfnoob"

So for me, the first batch is more suited to my game style.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #50
Upro

Upro is on a distinguished road

You might try our mud out.... Daedal Macabre. It's got ways to level all the way to 51 without ever typing the kill command. Come try us out at daedal-macabre.org port 9000
Upro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #51
Threshold
Legend

If you haven't tried yet, you should. A few years ago we enhanced and added to our emote/pose commands specifically in response to feedback from some players who were heavily involved in a couple of MUSHes (if memory serves, they were MUShes based on the Kushiel books).
Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #52
misao

Threshold, thanks, I did try!

But the entire newbie file telling me where I can quest to level up just... put me off. :/
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #53
Threshold
Legend

Well, that's for people who WANT to level up. You don't have to participate in that side of the game if you don't want to. Also, we have help files for almost EVERYTHING, whether its RP related or not.

As a new player, you have access to the heritage channel to get help from other players. Ask on heritage for some suggestions where to start off just hanging out and roleplaying. Or you can just head to one of the major taverns (in town type 'travel tavern') and there is almost always something interesting going on. If you have a good idea what your character is all about, that obviously helps since it gives you a jumping off point.

Threshold is a living, breathing world with over 13 real life years of history. This means you won't just login to a room where people are play acting. Roleplaying takes place in the context of the world, with all of its politics, economics, religion, etc. So just as in the real world, you need to put yourself out there to meet people, or go to social gathering places (again, taverns are a good place to start, temples are also good).

I don't want to spam the thread with pure Threshold stuff, so if you or someone else wants to send me a PM I am sure I can help you get started.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #54
Saire

Saire is on a distinguished road

I just joined Threshold today, so far its very fun! Just thought I'd say that lol...
Saire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #55
misao

Update: I did give Threshold another try in earnest today. I'm afraid it just doesn't suit me, though. That's a sad thing really, since the playerbase is not only decent-sized, but also active and helpful.

Am waiting on my char application for FiranMUX.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #56
Threshold
Legend

Sorry to hear that, but I am glad the players were helpful. I am very proud of how our playerbase remains very excited about new players. It has been very important for us to cultivate that attitude in our community. After 13 years, it would be easy for people to get really cliquish and insular. We have managed to fight that off!

That's great!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #57
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

This is true. Threshold is one of the few games that has indepth roleplay, exciting combat, well written story only matched by its friendly and experienced playerbase. Kudos for those qualities.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #58
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

It is a fine game, that I have enjoy when I have played it. My only issue with Threshold is equipment not saving. I suppose it some facet of "achiever" behavior in me, but I like to log in with all the equipment I had when I log off. Never been a fan of limited item save, rent, or no equipment save games.

Personal preference.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #59
Threshold
Legend

First, thank you.

Second, that was always part of the design. Gear is only about 10-20% of your character's effectiveness in Threshold. Another 50% is your skills and abilities, and the remaining 40-50% is purely the skill of the player behind the character.

But a year or more ago we added gear storage for everyone. So even that issue of losing your gear every logoff has been partially eliminated. There is still shared storage in guilds and churches - we kept that because it is important for community and roleplay (a lot of RP gets started by arguments or debates over how to use those facilities, what should be kept there, etc... believe it or not.)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #60
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

It's fairly common for the older codebases to do that, mostly due to disk space limitations back when they were created. Diku used rent to prevent people hoarding too much equipment, while . I think Merc was the first Diku to introduce automatic equipment saving, at the end of 1992, and that carried over into its derivatives. But there are still a lot of muds based on older codebases, and I guess it's one of those things that a lot of people don't like to change, because it's what they're used to. As you said, personal preference.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote