Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
swampdog

swampdog is on a distinguished road
Wayfar 1444: a procedurally generated space colony MOO set in the far distant future

Hello friends,

A long time ago Dwarf Fortress came out, and I played a moo called . A couple of years later I started my own multiplayer dwarf fortress space colony game. Dwarf Fortress really made me want to do a procedurally generated project, and I noticed a distinct lack of cutting edge, or even barely awesome space MOO/MUDs. With help from the hellmoo admins, and their permission to use a version of their database, I started work on my third personal game project.

I have reached alpha completion on a sci fi MOO, . It's kind of a , campy/far future sci fi game that I've been working on for about a year. Things that are working as of now include , , , & , vehicles, , turrets, , player owned & buildings, , procedural wildlife and resources, and a unique dice pool based .

I'll be monitoring this thread, and can be reached with feedback in game at wayfar1444.com 7777 or via the google group, or over in the on SA. Be aware it is alpha - so while the basic mechanics are done there's tons of content missing and in progress. Hellmoo took a staggering 10 years to become as excellent as it is and you will notice the polish difference, but I've kept all the modern features and even extended them a little bit. I figure it's not going to get any more online than it is now and I may never be able to complete every awesome feature I'd like to add. I'd love to have some droogs check it out and give feedback, or feel free to hang out and chat~ I think anyone who has played Hell/Hate will enjoy my take on badmins.

If you're expecting emotional administration, favoritism, general drama, or power trips, you won't find them here. As the primary dictator-coder I run a tight ship and have applied some of the thoughts I've had playing games for a decade to reduce the the potential for abuse.
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Wayfar 1444: a procedurally generated space colony MOO set in the far distant fut

That looks...amazing actually. I logged on briefly but also saw some mention of a mushclient plugin. Is that ready to alpha too? Seems like your game would really fly with a good plugin.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
swampdog

Re: Wayfar 1444: a procedurally generated space colony MOO set in the far distant fut

I'm still possibly a few months away from the plugin being ready for alpha (could be much sooner, it all depends, but I have a hobbyist commitment and it's hard to give an ETA when it might vary wildly from what I say). But it's my next major goal for the project

Don't forget to use CHATNET ON to turn on global chat, and then CHAT <your message here to communicate> with questions. I know there are some serious gaps in information in some places and that's one of the biggest things I enjoy hearing feedback on.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
swampdog

Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

Good to see progress on this swampdog.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Cerelum

Cerelum is on a distinguished road

There is some great potential but lots of childishness that may turn off some people.

Last edited by Cerelum : 07-01-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Cerelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
swampdog

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
swampdog

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Swampdog,

This is really cool. Thanks for posting it.

I've been working on a quasi-mud based thing that's also procedurally generated, and while I have a lot of stuff in place, I don't have anywhere near that level of detail on planet surfaces. I focused more on getting the star system generation correct, and hadn't really planned on there being much surface-based action.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
flbellman

flbellman is on a distinguished road

I would definitively try it!
flbellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
swampdog

Last edited by swampdog : 04-02-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #12
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

Hey, I just started playing HellMOO and again and happened into the game. I made a character, but never logged back in. This looks awesome, can't wait to try.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
swampdog

Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

Sorry for the necro, but I'm not creative enough to write my own advertisement,

I'm loving this game and would love more players! There's a daily log reward now. Tons of crafting/building for those who enjoy it, too.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
swampdog

Awesome, and no apologies needed - glad to get the mention. We've got some interesting updates in the pipeline - I don't want to make any promises in terms of when, but hopefully we'll have something for halloween and some new solar systems soon!
Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #16
swampdog

I'll be looking for some more volunteers over the holiday.

Here is the base requirement for any of the below:

You must successfully complete a reroll in Wayfar so that you do not need basic mechanics explained. When starting a character you choose a goal (such as launching a starship or hunting a certain number of animals), and after doing so you are awarded permanent bonuses. Once you've achived the goal, type REROLL to get your permanent bonus (you keep all items and buildings).

Here are our needs:

* community managers - this is for answering player questions, generally chatting in a pleasant and professional manner with players. You also get access to description submissions and access to the programmer/badmin nets. You will not have the power to punish or sanction players - in the rare case where code cannot handle this, you should escalate your concerns to a senior wizard.

* Programmers - this is pretty involved. You absolutely need to be something of a self starter and willing to learn the codes in place, so that you can extend them. Documentation is available but you must have a desire to learn the existing codebase and extend it. The scripting language we use is very simple (think basic with a dash of python).

* Wizards - wizards must start as programmers, with all the limitations that entails. To start you'll be extending code or creating new items without having the ability to modify base code. If you can survive these limitations and have a real interest in science fiction, wizardship will allow you a lot more freedom in making changes.

* Website enthusiasts - Wayfar has the ability to export all game data to the web. It'd be neat to display more information, in a friendly way. We have simple maps and 3d displays of the planet. Even better, web facing ways to interact with the game on a mobile phone or web browser is a major goal -- not so much in playing the full game over web, but in changing jobs or directing your colonists through a simple interface.

* Designers & general enthusiasts - this is a prelude to a programmer position. Design, well thought out feature ideas, fleshing out of the game universe, etc.

* Mushclient or Mudlet scriptors. It is entirely possible to create a semigraphical, playable interface to Wayfar through these clients. I don't expect to find many people with this specialty, but it would be a huge help!

* Documentors - Aside from actual game content, I believe in sharing all the advancements we make in terms of code and general knowledge. I've published several blog posts along these lines, simply to aid other game creators that want to make their own hellcore games. Also, help files and guides for the website and in game are sorely needed!

Caveats:

* There is absolutely no tolerance for "power gaming" or "meta gaming" in an admin position. Helping your friends, etc, is not the point of a position on Wayfar. What I'm looking for is people that enjoy the science fiction setting, especially advanced sci fi concepts (nanites, star system generation, planet generation, strange and unique locations and aliens). People interested in creating cool game mechanics or neat items are the goal here -- not people interested in text power or drama.

* Hawgpadre is the dictator king in terms of overall design and theme. Again, you must be interested in science fiction, especially hard/advanced sci fi (think Alistair Reynolds). Making clubs and wooden spears is a complete waste of time - a million other MUDs do this. We want to make a far future science fiction game, not rehash mechanics from other games. I am harsh, but fair.

* It is absolutely fine to have a player character for testing code changes and mechanics, as well as for assesing the overall flow and feel of the game. However, if you are interested in volunteering, this will not be your primary focus.

* This is not a job.

* Wayfar is a 100% non profit generating enterprise. Our donation link is tied directly to the web host we run the game on. At this time we offer no benefits for donating, although I think some cosmetic or minor rewards are a real possibility in the future.

If you are interested, here are the ways to get in touch with me: you can use in game mail, with the @send command, to Hawgpadre. You can send an email to and once in game you can type: CHATNET ON and then CHAT <your message here>. Be sure to use CHATNET HISTORY in case someone replied while you were offline.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #17
swampdog

One other thing that might be of interest to this board, is blind player input. Detailed input on what systems and descriptions could be made blind friendly are always welcome - these are not a design priority, but if they are described in detail, they can and will be implemented.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #18
swampdog

This post for volunteers is part of a general drive for exposure to increase our player base. I've added a further incentive to anyone who tries Wayfar during the month of September - if you play the game and leave a review, on any MUD site of your choosing, or even your own blog, you will receive a unique in game reward.

The content of your review is not tied in any way to the reward you receive - tell us what you like, what you dislike, whatever! Please see the details here:

Any by unique, I mean hand customized versions of things like jetpacks or stormy dorg jetcycle - it will be cool!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #19
swampdog