Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 01-28-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Chapel

Chapel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel Send a message via MSN to Chapel
Angry

Alright, so the slum area of this city is done. I have about 150 rooms left, finished about 420 or so. This city is rocking.

I built a noble/rich section that tiers over the main city....wait, let me back up and describe the city....

Its a circular city, more or less, walled of course, with rising tiers, each section having its own walls. through the middle of the circle in both directions are central walls, like a +, which essentially serve as buffers for invaders, and allows the guards atop them access to most of the streets below.

Now, the typical sections are there, the richer towards the center and higher, the poor towards the outskirts. there are "blackout" areas that cannot be seen from the central walls, and that is where a lot of the violence is found.

There are detailed sewer tunnels beneath the city, connecting one to each part if they navigate it properly, and even tarn lofts for those who can afford that type of travel. (tarns are huge eagle like creatures).

Now, I have about 150 rooms left. and I've no idea what to build. I've tons of shops, bazaars, etc. you name it I probably have it. what do I do with the allotted rooms? or do I just crop the area and print?

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:58 AM   #2
Eternal

Eternal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eternal
Do you have a cemetary for your Minas Tirith looking city?  How about a landfill/waste area for the emptying of chamberpots?
You know what you need?  A circus.

I don't know the theme of your game, so I'm just tossing out ideas.
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
Chapel

Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel Send a message via MSN to Chapel
What is Minas Tirith?

This city's them is pretty basic, it is the capital city of a continent that is prone to war. There are a series of city-states, each in control of their own area, each claiming their own Monarchy, etc.

The city is designed to be unwelcoming to invaders, as the true booty is found in the very heart of it, and to get there and remove the items would be suicide, more or less.

I didn't build a landfill area, they actually have decent sewers, although the slums have these canals through the street, horrible stuff. LOL.

I didn't build a circus, but I did have a huge gladiatorial ring, where sometimes (depending on time of day), there are monsters fighting in there, or people can go there and fight. (code pending).

Old 01-28-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
crymerci

crymerci is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to crymerci Send a message via Yahoo to crymerci
How about an industrial area with warehouses and wagons of goods being delivered to/from them, workshops where raw materials are turned into finshed goods, etc.

Or a park with an amphitheater and a pond, perhaps a zoo?

Do you have barracks and training facilities for all the soldiers needed to defend this war-prone city?

Perhaps a religious sanctuary or monastery? University or library, if there is literacy?

What part of the city are these extra rooms in? That might help with suggestions, since your city has such clear class boundaries.
crymerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Minas Tirith is the capital city of Gondor in the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolien, which coincidentally is circular in design, with tiers, and the higher up you go the more noble things get...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Mandrake

Mandrake is on a distinguished road
So, maybe the city needs a library, or a capitol building. It needs to be a structure with a records room and a legal branch.

And books, lots of books, arranged alphabetically by author.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
If you feel that your city is complete, just end it right there. Adding more rooms to it would probably just destroy the design, without adding anything of real value to it.

In case you absolutely want to use those extra 150 rooms, I'd suggest adding the surroundings of the city. It stands to reason that a walled city like this doesn't exist in the middle of nowhere, it must have some proper surroundings. Whether they be forest, mountains or cultivated fields is of course your choice, but it would probably be a good idea to discuss it with the Head Builder.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:30 PM   #8
Ytrewtsu

Ytrewtsu is on a distinguished road
Gardens and parks, I always liked garden areas in noble sections and it seems like a well established city of this nature would have something of the sort accompanying the noble residences.

Ytrewtsu
Ytrewtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:21 AM   #9
Chapel

Angry

Just wanted to thank you all that gave ideas. In the respective areas I added, there is a small tablet, or plaque, or statue, in tribute to each of you.

Cheers.

Dead End... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help Dead Souls! cratylus MUD Announcements 0 07-10-2006 10:01 AM
Dead Souls 2 is now available cratylus MUD Announcements 1 03-13-2006 08:47 PM
Dead of Night Bloodline Advertising for Players 4 01-03-2006 04:21 AM
Week of the Dead Fishy MUD Announcements 0 10-26-2005 03:38 PM
dead links Robiwan Bugs and Suggestions 0 07-20-2002 11:27 PM