Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 11-30-2003, 10:48 PM   #21
Quicksilver

Quicksilver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver
Angry

Hmmm.
In cases like this it is very hard to sort things out, but, being a thread by Admins about dealing with disgruntled players, I'd like to make some observations, based off of Soljax's post.

Unfortunately, the actual situation within his mud which caused Amnon to start this thread has no bearing on the thread itself. Exploring ways of preventing the situation from occurring again does.  The only solutions seem like bailing a boat with a fork. It is easy to ban someone, even with dynamic IP's. But, it is impossible to stop them from being heard if they wish to complain. I think the best damage control is handling the aftermath in a mature, non-judgmental fashion, and especially to avoid being dragged into a flame war. That will only encourage them more, and raise your stress levels.
Soljax- Muddying the issue by continuing your argument here only serves to erode any position you might have.  You are better served to create a new thread and discuss it there. I'm not trying to minimise any feelings you have on the subject. I'm just suggesting you might get a better discussion of it if it's in the proper place for it. This thread has actually stayed on topic for 2 pages so far, which is remarkable in and of itself.
On an aside, I think this thread should probably have started in the Administrators Forum, as it does address problems encountered in the day to day running of a mud.  Damage control is a very little discussed topic.  In some cases it can actually cause more problems to try fixing/stopping people bad mouthing you than it can to simply let them jabber on and possibly impeach their own statements.

--QS
(who has many things she'd love to take issue with, but would rather see more exploration of the original subject, dealing with Dynamic IP's & Damage control.)

>>Edited to restore paragraphs on dealing with damage control. Bad ctrl-x. Naughty ctrl-x.)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:46 AM   #22
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Soljax, there are numerous MUD admins, on MUDs a lot more respected than mine, who you claimed to have done the exact same thing.

So I'm SURE that we're ALL cheating! Everyone on Soljax's list (from his TMC post) CHEATED to get him out of the way! Why not, I mean? It's only Soljax, he was cursed so every MUD owner will cheat!

Besides, if I wanted you out of the way, I had MORE than enough reason (Caught you cheating numerous times) to kick yo ass myself instead of making a new char.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:10 AM   #23
soljax

soljax is on a distinguished road
I think mud damage control is a joke. If you've done some mudders wrong, then they deserve to be heard. Mud reviews are a wonderful way to gauge a mud. I can't say I've ever found a negative review that was unfounded.

Admin need to realize that their absolute power ends when I log off of their mud. I have a theory that spending years as a god goes to some people's head... but that's another thread.

Pure antagonists are rare if not non-existant. (Not many players log onto a mud not intending to play). If a negative review ends up getting written, then there is obviously enough wrong with the mud to warrant the effort. I can't bad mouth a mud I know nothing about.. I have no compulsion to, and so far, no one else does either.

The real scumballs of the mudding community are self-centered. They don't have any community spirit, and won't waste their time writing a review. If an immature player decides to write a review, then their grammar and tone is telling.

In short, bad reviews don't come out of the blue. Before I ever set foot on a mud I read the bad reviews.. because they are ALWAYS telling. Good reviews lie (they have motivation). Bad reviews are earned, so if you don't want them, don't be an ass.

PS: Quicksilver: while you might want to run some respectable threads, it's a bit callous of you to accuse me of issuing a flame when Amnon is obviously the one who initiated it.

PPS: Bad immstaff are a dime a dozen, but then so are players. The difference is that the code stops players while facilitates immstaff cheating.

last word: 90% of the bad reviews I write are just about imms with an attitude problem (most immstaff don't cheat, even the bad ones).
soljax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:01 AM   #24
Amnon

You know, I don't care if I have a dozen bad reviews from you, as long as you're not there scaring off people with OOC harassment anymore.

Even with your reviews, the game had the most players its ever had at the same time yesterday, so I think people finally realized that if an ass writes a bad review about something, than that something's gotta be good.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #25
soljax

Disgruntled Players who start flame wars....?

Disgruntled Admin who start flame wars.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #26
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Ok, here's the problem with "bad reviews" from disgruntled players...

You have players who do something, and get denied, banned, or whatnot.  Usually you can set your watch to the timing of the post on here, or TMC, or Kyndig, or a review, or a combination of all of them, berating the staff, berating the mud, slinging as much mud as they can in a petty attempt to get back at the person(s) who had the audacity to halt their behavior.

Honestly, after dealing with this for years, there's not much you can do about it other than weather the ****storm that flows from it and just go along with your business as normal.

People can see through the bad reviews and idiot posts, and as long as your remaining players are still happily playing, to #### with the moron that caused the problem in the first place.

As for dealing with dynamic IP addresses, my only advice is to just keep denying the characters as they reveal themselves, either the person will stop being an idiot, or they will move along to harass someone else.

You can contact AOL with a socket, login time, and if you can get it through some means, a user name, and they will take action.  What's an even more fun step is to get the contact information and talk to a parent, I've done that on more than one occasion, and even sent logs to the parent of some of the lovely things that their minor has said, and of course they think their child is a perfect little angle until you send them server logs with datestamps with them telling the entire world things that just would make most people blush...

- Terloch
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:41 PM   #27
soljax

From your attitude, Terloch, I can tell that you're a bad immortal. Immortals cannot take things personally. This is a game, and if someone cheats then the response is simple. If someone insults you, or even disagrees with you.. You are the type of person who will take it personally and make a big stink about it.

A good immortal knows the difference between someone insulting them, constructive criticism, and a different opinion. A good immortal doesn't start handing out punishments for any of the above.

It's the bad immortals who start saying, "this is my game, and I will make life more difficult if you have an opinion that I don't like". There are a lot of people who fit into this group.. because if I say, "I believe RP should not be rewarded with PK benefits', half the time I cheese off the immstaff enough that they get a vendetta against me. If that happens, I'm gonna write an honest review and mention that they've got an attitude problem.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #28
Amnon

Did you ever stop to think that maybe YOU'RE the one with the attitude problem?

Did you ever think that this IS the admin's game, and if certain people don't like the way it's run, there are a hundred others who do?

Did you ever think that working on a game gives the admin the right to decide how it should be played, and that's not at all an attitude problem?

If so many people kicked you off their MUDs (You yourself listed them on TMC), did you ever, once, stop to think that maybe the problem is with YOU and not with the rest of the world?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #29
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
We all have problem players at one time or another, and I guess we all have our different methods of handling them. I usually try to reason with them myself, rather than  banning. It is amazing how effective that simple method can be.

But then again, we may have been lucky not to get struck by the worst  kind of problem players.

The worst cases we've got were a couple of 'script-kiddies' from one of the new east-European countries, who decided to ddos the Mud, when they got mad at some of the other players. Y'all know what ddos does, right? They bombard the server with thousands of messages, from a number of computers that they hacked into, until it breaks down.

It happened about a year ago, on four different occasions; the worst time the mud was down for three days, and we had to get ourselves a new server. Obviously nobody was very happy about it. In fact we darned near decided to close down for good.

We didn' ban them - with the 'hacker' type of player who has access to a more or less unlimited number of computers, that obviously doesn't make much sense. Two of the three players that did it are still with us. I tried my best to explain to them why ddosing a Mud that you actually want to play isn't a very good idea, and hopefully some of it sank in. In any case they are among our most hardcore players by now, and have eventually adjusted enough to be among the top ones.

I doubt they'll do it again, but of course you can never be quite sure. Since most of the players know what they did, they obviously made themselves a number of enemies, so there have been some minor conflicts since the actual incidents.

It would be interesting to hear if something similar happened to other Muds too, and if so, how you handled it.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM   #30
soljax

It's not often that you'll get someone trying to break down your game. That's actually pretty extraordinary. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a "firewall" is the solution. If you've got people pinging ports.. just block um!

And... I recall that there's a siteban that works through the unix box that works immediately and won't even allow any sort of connection. If you siteban the range of IP's that are spamming you.. it'll stop, because you can't create much spam through a shell account.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:28 PM   #31
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
soljax blithered:
Yeah, I made one comment, and you can tell everything about me. That's brilliant. I can care less if people insult me, and I actually enjoy people who can constructively disagree, I know I'm not perfect and all of my ideas sure as #### aren't perfect. My biggest issue with idiots who break rules and get banned is their un-needed vendetta to assault the site which has taken away their toys.

Don't make assumptions if I'm a bad immortal or not, you know jack crap about me.

- Terloch
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:18 PM   #32
Gihnral

Gihnral is on a distinguished road
Don't let it get to you Terloch. I would guess that all of the muds he's listed he's been kicked off of, including the one Amnon runs, he's done the same thing he did on the mud I play on.

He thinks very highly of himself, he thinks he understands the ins and outs of every game he logs into, then ****es and moans about the unfair and overpowered race/class combos until he plays said combo then begins bitching about it. Continually cheats, and is finally banned where upon he starts slinging mud in any way possible. His reviews are ****, as is his attitude. ####, he's not even a player of notable skill.

Just pretend he's not there Amnon, and he'll eventually move on to annoy some other admin staff.
Gihnral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #33
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #34
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #35
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Soljax played (and trolled our website) for a while, as Arvam mentioned above.  He seems to believe that it's his right as a player to insult the staff, cheat when the opportunity arises, etc., but that the staff should be all-forgiving and pardon his indiscretions because he's a customer.  He will write you weepy emails, complain about his persecution as vocally as allowed, invent conspiracy theories to explain his ineptitude at your game, and then go right back to the same behavior once you lift sanctions.

Hence his permanent ban, something we rarely use.

Afterwards, he tried the bad review game with us.  We put a brief disclaimer on it, and were going to ignore it, but 12 of our players responded .  It's always heartening when karma shows itself.

Note to others in this thread: He craves attention.  It's why he posts his "I'm a celebrity!  Really!  Why is everyone laughing?" threads.   No matter how often you demonstrate he's a dime-a-dozen childish pest, he will claim his behavior was all a clever series of tests to see how you'd react.  In other words, he's just testing how your MUD deals with immaturity so he can decide if it's good enough to play.  If he breaks the rules of your game, as Amnon has described, just remove him quietly and without a big scene.  Don't give him the acknowledgement he so desires.  

This is my first and last post on this thread for that reason.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #36
soljax

"he thinks he understands the ins and outs of every game he logs into"

Because I do. If I don't know something, I'll learn it faster then ####. I log onto a mud, pick a player that's been there for years and set my goal to beat his ass.

"then ****es and moans about the unfair and overpowered race/class combos until he plays said combo then begins bitching about it"

I can spot something that's not balanced or wrong a mile away. This is why I don't get along with most immstaff. I'll tell them straight up something is wrong, and they'll get ****ed because I've only played their mud a few weeks / days and I'm already finding **** wrong with it. Another failing is that most immstaff don't know jack or **** about game balance.

"Continually cheats, and is finally banned where upon he starts slinging mud in any way possible."

Why would I write a review while playing the mud? It's obvious that immstaff take criticism to heart. Writing an honest and critical review hwile playing a mud is like shooting yourself in the head. Read my review of Carrionfields. Read the responses. I write positive and honest things. The replies only flame me, and add nothing constructive. Read other reviews... they agree with me. CF is a cluster**** cacophony society. Interesting mud, wanted to try some siht.. but alas, the head-imm doesn't like it when you tell him his immstaff are idiots.

Plus, I don't cheat all that much. If I do cheat, I don't get caught. Carrionfields calls me a hardcore cheater, yet they've caught me legitimately cheating once (I dropped starting copper with a char, deleted, came back, and picked it up again). No, on CF cheating also involves disagreeing with imm's on their forums, cracking jokes on their newbie channel, and roleplaying a pimp. All of which I am guilty of.

"His reviews are ****, as is his attitude. "

My reviews are honest, if you'd like to dispute that then post an example.

"####, he's not even a player of notable skill."

If I were the person you've stereotyped me to be, then this would probably be the worst insult of the bunch. The fact is that I pride myself on different criteria: Namely learning muds quickly, finding bugs and having a strong desire to improve the game for the players. I don't randomly pk, I don't full loot, I'm not a grudge player. Based on these things, I think I am pretty skillful. Based on PK, I still think I'm pretty skillful... mostly because I'm creative and successful in my approaches.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:18 AM   #37
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
I log onto a mud, pick a player that's been there for years and set my goal to beat his ass.

It's nice to have goals.  Let us know when you start reaching them.

I'm sorry, but your self-fellating post demonstrates to everyone precisely the kind of person and player you are.  It does so more decisively and succinctly than could a thousand rebuttals.

Lest I be accused of being unclear, it doesn't make you look good, unless in some alternate world undeservedly arrogant is good.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:29 AM   #38
Amnon

I caught you cheating 3 times the day you left my MUD, and again a couple days before. You were complaining, of course, that you didn't know, so I pointed you to the help rules file (A file which every newbie should check whenever he enters a MUD).

No, you spot things YOU see as wrong a mile away. This doesn't mean they ARE wrong, it just means YOU think of them as wrong, and since YOU don't run the game, YOUR opinion sometimes just doesn't count for ****.

... Are you a 6 year-old? "I'm the best! I can learn faster than you!", you probably got beat up a lot at school, weren't you?

If the review is -truely- honest, I try to improve. If the review comes from someone like you, or people who have no grounds to write what they're saying (Like the one who said I was ignoring people... That's as far away from reality as it gets), I get angry. I have a right to when someone starts spreading lies.

So you admit to cheating more, just didn't get caught?

Every player you encountered wanted to or left the game... That's not what I call improving.

All in all, you're just one of these people who think they're above everyone... mega arrogant, and it gets you into trouble. I know because I used to be one myself, a long time ago, so I'm gonna tell you one thing that MIGHT help you: People don't like being looked down upon. Try thinking about it some day, and maybe you'll make more friends around here.

Even if you do find something that's wrong, it's not always wrong in the eyes of the staff. Calling staff members idiots won't get you on anyone's good side, even if they are. Sometimes, you just have to accept the system, because nothing is perfect. Neither are you.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 AM   #39
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:07 AM   #40
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Quite amusing.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote

Disgruntled Players who start flame wars - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please don't flame Aeran Tavern of the Blue Hand 20 05-12-2005 08:15 PM
Announcement (Flame War) Tired Enola_Phoenix Tavern of the Blue Hand 10 08-11-2004 08:59 AM
How to start making a Mu* Berlitz MUD Builders and Areas 2 04-14-2004 08:34 PM
Praise be to the Legion of the White Flame! Pleos Advertising for Players 0 10-29-2003 09:35 AM
Gemstone 3 -> What a start?? Amnon Tavern of the Blue Hand 5 01-20-2003 09:36 PM