Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #21
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 Dimensions is moving on

I make personal backups of my code every day, but back in October 2004 I managed to lose a 1500+ line code module when the Gryphonmud hosting service vanished overnight. I was warned by a Gryphonmud admin that I had 24 hours to grab whatever I needed (as they'd paid until the end of the month), but Inetsolve (which Gryphonmud was using) just pulled the plug on the machine about an hour later.

The problem was I'd forgotten to use the '-d' (directory) option when I'd grabbed the most recent version of the code from CVS, so it hadn't backed up the new directory for the module I'd recently added. It cost me four days to rewrite it all, so it's not a mistake I'd make again.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #22
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Nonsense. There should be as little difference as is financially possible between how a hobbyist treats players and how a commercial enterprise treats players (note that whether the players are paying or not is a bit irrelevant. Facebook is free to the user but I guarantee you that Mark Zuckerberg - its CEO - cares a lot about the experience he delivers to his users).

Why should there be so little difference? Because in the end your players have to pay to play one way or another. They have limited time and they have chosen to spend their free time on your MUD rather than the bazillion other options they have for spending their free time. An admin who doesn't respect that is a bad admin.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I removed this post because after reading it later it seemed very trite and much too agressive against the_logos, with little impact.

If I wasn't supposed to do that let me know. I have a copy and can repost it.

Last edited by Newworlds : 12-21-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Too harsh
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point

In between the little scuffle emerging there, I wanted to add that server owners should keep in mind that some of their mudding audience is people still running ancient pentium-2 pc's with 200 mb disk space that can't even run diablo 2 smoothly - on dial-up. From Europe!
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #25
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Sorry about the delayed reply. I've been out of the country.

I'm sorry to hear about this happening to any mud! It's a terrible, terrible thing to lose creative material since it's impossible to replace or duplicate. I've been devasted when I lost just a few lines of writing from a freak crash or a power outage. I can't imagine losing major parts of a MUD.

Good luck in recovery!
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road

Actually, and I don't mean to spawn a whole 'nother thread here, but this scenario may become more and more similar as technology advances. That may make no sense, but as PDAs, city-wide free wireless networks and cheaper cellphones/plans become more advanced and common, more and more people are going to be gaming from such devices. I think, in the near future, many mudders will no longer be playing from the big gamer's PC with a high speed dedicated connection, but on-the-go from these smaller and less powerful pieces of machinery.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan

It may well be true, but I never did see what relevance it had to this thread.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #28
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Relevant or not, we have at least five players on NW that play the MUD from their cell phones or blackberries. Amazes the hell out of me. Can't wait to get the NW Staff blackberries so they can manage from anywhere. Go Technology!

Incidentally, when I asked them about how hard it is, the common complaint is that typing is a biatch, so we are working on enhancements for cell phone players to make it faster and easier for them similar to our blind player enhancements. Who says TEXT MUDs don't advance with the times.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote