Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Fishy

Fishy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I don't bother with reading reviews. I find that with something free (mostly) like MUDs, I can find out for myself. However, if the MUD costs money to pay, I will read the reviews.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
Most of the reviews on this site tend to be a waste of time. They are often extremely short and uninformative, and seem to serve little purpose other than to get the name of the mud on the front page.

It makes little difference whether the mud is free or not as I don't know of any pay to play muds that require you to pay up front. There is usually a free trial period which will tell you far more about the mud in question than most of the reviews on here can.
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
They're information. Some are worth reading, others aren't, and an intelligent reader can usually tell the difference between the two fairly quickly.

Of course you can get a better feel for any game by playing it, but there are hundreds of games on this site, and reading a few reviews might help you cut them down into a group you'd like to try.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Fishy

Cronos and Valg I agree. However what I mean was do _you_ bother with reading them?

I wish there was a way of making a poll.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I do, but I admit I'm reading as an administrator. I'll flip through samplings from various games and look at what people like and dislike about each. Certain things will pop up as themes in the well-written subset of reviews, and those themes might or might not be things we can emphasize in our own content and advertising.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
I'm a player who reads all the reviews, good or bad, because I'm looking for interesting MUDs to play.  Sometimes a good review is sent in that sparks my interest, so I will go to the MUD to try it out.  You always need to try the MUD yourself.  Occasionally an intelligent bad review is posted that defines what they didn't like about the MUD, & that can be good feedback for the MUD admins.  However, because this website doesn't control or moderate the review section, you will frequently get the idiot troll reviews, that are worthless, & are posted usually by banned or punished players who have a grudge, & will do anything to harass the MUD.  The website staff should delete these worthless reviews, but unless they are obscene, they are left alone.

The opposite side of the coin, is when a call goes out to a MUD's playerbase to write reviews for their MUD, & all of a sudden 5 or 6 reviews come in on the same day, & the reviews aren't reviews, they're just one or two sentences, about how it's the best MUD they have ever played.  These types of reviews do NOT inspire me to try their MUD, if fact it has the opposite result.
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Fishy

Talking

I recently posted the review about "The Looking Glass". First I have a plead to Synozer: Even though Robert (head imm) both shutoff reviews and put it back on again, the submit review link simply doesn't show up in the entry in the database. Now I figured a way around this but could you please fix it?

Second of all if anyone cares to post a "review of the review" I'd be much obliged. I realize there are some language faults I was thinking more context wise. Thanks /Ikashi

Reviews - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviews down. imported_Synozeer TMS Announcements and Feedback 4 01-22-2007 09:04 PM
Reviews Jarn Newbie Help 4 01-12-2006 03:06 AM
Mud Reviews at TMS Delerak Tavern of the Blue Hand 15 08-16-2003 09:56 PM
The meaning of "Reviews" Amnon Tavern of the Blue Hand 17 06-02-2003 10:58 AM
Reviews Scorpcrys MUD Administration 4 10-03-2002 10:25 PM