Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-29-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
In April, these forums changed to the system they have now. While there are, arguably, some of the new features are very utilitarian. However, I still note the glaring lack of a search command, which should be standard fare, or could even be easily written as an accessory to the system which operates entirely independent thereof.

Prior to the change, I found myself reading the majority of the threads which were on the 'most recent' list on the main page, simply because they were interesting and readily accessible, even if they were on a forum which was not my normal wont to read.

It's depressing to see so many worthless posts on what was once a fine board system. I left TMC for a specific reason, but high noise traffic was also a motivational factor. Let's clean up the posts, quit doing stupid polls that have no depth behind them, eh?

Go ahead and jump on this post and lambast me if it makes you feel better. I won't be responding to it. Before you do so, consider the fragility of the glass walls in your house.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:03 PM   #2
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
By no means am I going to lambast you, Robbert. I may have disagreed with you in the past, but in this case, I entirely agree with you.

At one time, the recent threads were worth reading. Now? Look at the crap being spouted. Short of a ban of certain spammers, I doubt it will improve, however.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Angry

Yeah, I have to say it hasn't been the same in a long time. Lately, I've seen at least a noise level increase in certain folks who are interested in nothing more than starting up ridiculous flame wars (and, sadly, as appears to be human nature, others who can't avoid falling right into the trap of participating).

Not sure what the fix is, because the problem began to manifest itself in the other incarnation of the bulletin boards - it's not the current format that's to blame. It's a symptom of TMS' growth in popularity.

So, it's great we've drawn all kinds of people to the site, but now we need to find a way to get a grip on the troublemakers.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:44 PM   #4
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
If you see the problem here, report it to me and I'll take care of it ASAP. So far, the problematic posts for the most part have lessened in this forum...

However, their seems to be a certain git who likes to spam the Storytelling thread with ALL of his posts no matter the topic...

But, as for this forum, if you see anything in here that is wholly spammy, let me know.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
what kicker kicks @$$ most. Enough said, Ori-poo.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
Shao_Long

Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
Robbert

Old 05-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
I still like the idea of removing polls from this forum and having a forum specifically for polls that don't fit into the other categories (Tavern Polls, Polls, Miscellaneous Polls, Whatnot). Most of the spam in this forum is in polls.

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:32 PM   #9
Robbert

Old 05-31-2002, 02:12 PM   #10
Shao_Long

Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:00 AM   #11
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:45 PM   #12
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I'd rather see the Tavern forum obliterated, or at least wiped and restarted with rules stating that it is for MUD-related posts only. I agree with the other posters that the signal-to-noise here at TMS has dropped precipitously in the last few months. The "new posts" feature on the sites front page typically has 6 threads listed, and lately it's the norm that only 2 or 3 have anything to do with MUDs, and maybe 1 of those is really substantive.

As a user of the website, I don't want to have to hunt around and find the new posts forum-by-forum, or by waiting for a search to turn up. I want to log on, glance at a list, and go right to the threads I'd like to read. Since this site is dedicated to the discussion of MUDs, that means only threads about MUDs. If I want to read about Steven Seagal, imdb.com and similar sites are more appropriate places for that.

Every successful message board site lives or dies on organization, signal-to-noise, and keeping matters on topic.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote

Forums, polls, and signal to noise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bring Back Nonsense Polls! Eternal Bugs and Suggestions 1 06-12-2003 10:14 PM
Add new forums! visko Bugs and Suggestions 3 01-13-2003 05:46 PM
To many freaking polls? Psykore Tavern of the Blue Hand 16 05-10-2002 11:37 PM
Do you like the new forums? Enzo Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 05-03-2002 05:14 AM
What about the old forums? funkalicious Bugs and Suggestions 2 04-23-2002 12:52 PM