Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Murpe

Murpe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Murpe Send a message via AIM to Murpe Send a message via Yahoo to Murpe
As of December 31st, 2006, MultiUser RolePlay Entertainment and its MU* Hosting Services will be no more.

Its been a fun-filled nine years of running and supporting the online game development and player community. However after some recent DDOS and ssh/ftp attacks, hardware failures, software upgrade errors and the recent passing of my older brother to cancer, it has become apparent when its time to just cut one's losses and throw in the towel.

MultiUser RolePlay Entertainment and its hosting services would not have lasted as long as it had without the support from everyone including TopMudSites, Mud Magic, Electric Soup and The MudConnector and its patrons for keeping the MU* hosting community alive all these years.  

Farewell my friends. Farewell.

-- Michael
Murpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
It is always sad to see to see a long running quality mud or mud resource end. Good luck to you in your next venture Michael.

I wonder if someone is targeting gaming/MUD sites for some reason, had a number of attempted DDOS attacks here ourselves. Thankfully the only one that got anywhere so far was the one massively spamming the review system.

Best wishes,
Derek.
TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Opie

Opie is on a distinguished road
Sad news. Good luck to you in the future.

Any interest in maybe passing the project to someone and keeping it alive?
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Murpe

Murpe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Murpe Send a message via AIM to Murpe Send a message via Yahoo to Murpe
Its really not possible to 'pass it on'. The server environment was an AMD Dual-Core Opteron with 500GB SATA HD space (RAID 5 configuration) and 4 GB ECC-Registered ram. It was running VMware server and SuSe Linux v10.1 x64-bit edition.

The main issues were the active numbers of script kiddies that were attacking the site via ssh and ftp attacks [on a daily basis (average around 15k hits a day)] and the amount of spam-like email having Spamassassin and F-Protect to check and clean as well. I was able to block a number of subnets in Asia Pacific and Eastern Europe, but when in-states site were compromised, it pretty much made the overseas subnet blocks redundant.

Then after blocking and dealing with all these attacks, the hardware router finally ate itself. After that point, I was getting tired of keeping the hosting business going and trying to run my SMB business site as well.

-- M
Murpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Opie

Opie is on a distinguished road
Wow...

...damn kids. Best of luck to you in the future, mate.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote

Closing Down: MultiUser RolePlay Entertainment - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copper Realms Entertainment Vladaar MUD Announcements 1 08-14-2006 06:00 AM
OtherSpace closing... Brody MUD Announcements 6 06-13-2006 03:15 AM
Closing Down: Realm of the Magi rotm_adm MUD Announcements 4 12-16-2005 01:41 PM
Iron Realms Entertainment the_logos MUD Announcements 4 08-07-2003 01:40 AM
Now OPEN for your entertainment! Rhaennor Advertising for Players 2 11-17-2002 03:56 PM