Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Do you enjoy the concept of fantasy ships that fly through weird dimensional space, encountering extraplanar monsters and pockets of strange realities? Look no further than !

Continuing the tradition of being one of the leaders in innovative gameplay, Lusternia is very proud to announce the release of --constructs that travel within the space between the planes of existence. This latest feature provides for players to transform their aethermanses (customizable player houses) into aetherships, which are part-vessel and part-extradimensional creature. Players also receive a new skillset called , which one must know in order to operate these ships. Captains can add on modules to further design their aetherships, such as battle turrets to combat extraplanar monsters, or an empathic grid to heal the ship and communicate great distances. In order for players to successfully operate aetherships, they must form crews that work harmoniously together. Overall, it’s a fresh approach to ships both in theme and mechanics.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #2
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

A very nice system, something I'm sure your players will love.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Very cool and well-done, Estarra. They seem to be the source of a lot of excitement even on the other IRE game forums.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
(emphasis mine)

Given that this is all make-believe, it would probably have been more creative and easier on the eye if every second term didn't include "ae". It's aenoying aes haell to see aevaery other word aend phraese include the same two-laetter combinaetion. It'd also make it a lot easier and less silly to try and repeat in a conversation, and I'm sure the terms will pop up in RP.

No doubt this will be taken as a flame when it's meant as friendly advice. It's your world to design, so why not put a bit more effort and care into it? Also might want to spell check your help files before you link them (unless of course the misspelling of "extradimensional" was deliberate to make people do a double-take thus increasing interest in the game, but I think we both know that's not the case).

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Estarra

It's hard not to view your "advice" as a flame or bit of trolling when you frame things in such a condescending manner.

But thanks anyway for the advice!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Sounds like - it was a very cool D&D setting, and I've often thought it would work well in a mud. I know of two or three other muds working on something along these lines as well, but it's cool to see someone take it beyond the design phase. have talked about combining the idea with an Elite-style trading system - are you thinking of taking that route as well?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Estarra

I must admit that Spelljammer was part of the inspiration!

I hadn't had any plans on a trading system but players have been mentioning it since ships were released. I'm not familiar with an Elite-style trading system. Anywhere I can go to check it out?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
The entry gives a pretty good general overview.

Basically each world would have a space station, and you'd travel between space stations buying and selling in order to make a profit (eg buy computers at a high tech world, take them to a low tech world and sell them, then buy food and take them elsewhere). Some products were illegal in certain worlds (firearms, drugs, slaves, etc, were usually illegal, while other things like furs might also be illegal depending on the world) - illegal products resulted in more cash, but were also riskier to deal in. Then you'd have to deal with pirates, bounty hunters (if you were a smuggler), and so on.

To really break it down to the basics, the game consisted of: Buy X, fly to A, sell X, buy Y, fly to B, sell Y, buy Z. The game them threw in other things to keep you busy along the way.

It's an old game (published in 1984) and conceptually very simple, but it had a lot of replay value.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
I love trade-style games. Anyone remember Oregon Trails and such?

How do you balance this in a mud setting, though, unless it was the entire focus of the game? Wouldn't you have to have a money sink involved? Otherwise, you could make an obscene amount of money at little to no risk, right?
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #10
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Lisaera

Lisaera is on a distinguished road
Lisaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
the_logos
Legend

My guess is that you don't understand the difference between the word 'aether' and 'ether'. 'Ether' has too many strong modern connotation, as despite being used as far back as classical times, its common use is now almost entirely 'modern.'

Ether is a class of organic compounds, as well as a specific, very flammable liquid. It's also one spelling of the word used, since classical times, to describe the medium that makes up space, being used later on to be described as the medium through which electro-magnetic waves travel.

Aether on the other hand, is not only a more faithful translation of the Greek 'aither' or the Latin 'aether' from which both words derive, but has much more appropriate meanings. It was used by the ancients to describe both the medium that makes up the heavens as well as the rarified upper air that the Gods on Olympus breathed.

So, the choice was between 'ether' which has a host of modern, scientific meanings, or 'aether' which has only 'ancient' meanings. I'm sure it's clear to most people why 'aether' was chosen.

--matt
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
prof1515

And your guess is wrong. I'm an ancient historian who was at one time a biology major long ago and well-versed on the definition of both ether and aether. I was commenting on the over-use of the word aether attached to every term (aetherspace, aethership, aethermanse, etc). There's no reason it need be. One may drive an automobile, but they don't drive it on an autohighway while sitting in the autoseat and steering with the autowheel and listening to the autoradio to drown out the sound of the autoengine which is louder than it should be because the automuffler isn't functioning properly. The terms don't have to all use the same prefix even if related to the same activity. Repitition of that degree is annoying to read. Made all the worse is the fact that you're using a word that utilizes a double-vowel like "ae" which some don't always know how to pronounce (yeah, shouldn't be difficult, I agree, but language comprehension skills in this country suck).

While only a small sample, I polled five people (all MUDders) and four agreed that the use of the prefix "aether" before every term was not only unnecessary but annoying. One of them thanked me for saying something because they were on the verge of doing the same. The term "aether" itself is a good term to use, but there's simply no reason that it has to be attached to every related word.

Take care,

Jason
Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
prof1515

On a side note, one of the people I polled (reference above) said they thought it was curious that a Spelljammer-like concept would appear on an IRE game after Chad McHenry, aka Traithe, left the IRE project he was working on and announced he was starting a MUD essentially based on Spelljammer called Etherea.

I said I had no idea what the timeline was on the development of either project so I couldn't say which came first. It did spark my interest though. Were these two projects a case of independent creation or a race to outflank competition?

Take care,

Jason
Old 02-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivalyn

Rivalyn is on a distinguished road
Earth and Beyond (mmorpg) was tailored around the trade system too wasn't it? Not that it exists anymore, but I remember beta-testing it and enjoying it quite a bit.
Rivalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
the_logos
Legend

Old 02-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Estarra

Since I designed the aethership feature, I can tell you that the basic model was laid out sometime in 2004 (before Lusternia was even released). Indeed, it has always been a pet project that I've wanted to do.

I had no idea what Traithe was planning until you posted, so the projects were definitely independently developed.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough
I keep wondering: if your intentions were indeed as altruistic as you claim, why didn't you just send her a PM?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #20
prof1515

Actually, I don't like using the PM system since I often forget to check it or get sidetracked when I do. Felt bad after the last person who PM'd me had to wait about three weeks before I checked it.

Take care,

Jason

Lusternia Releases Aetherships! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lusternia Releases New Races & More! Estarra MUD Announcements 1 05-14-2007 01:08 PM
Aetolia releases Lycanthropic Guilds Belakai MUD Announcements 0 02-23-2006 07:26 PM
The Wheel of Time MUD releases WotMUD IV.5 nass Advertising for Players 0 10-11-2005 02:28 PM
Press releases the_logos MUD Administration 2 12-01-2004 07:39 PM
Restricted Releases & Updates Ntanel Legal Issues 7 06-11-2003 10:05 AM