Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Gaare

Gaare is on a distinguished road

Here it is. It's good written flame to staffs of ARM. Actually, I have read this kind of complains from other players of ARM and other MUDs as well. This forum is full of this kind of flames.. I would like to share my opinion as author of the review, crAckferret shared.

IMO there are three key points in staff and player relation.

i) Lack of communication skills.

I saw many players get annoyed because of the replies they got from staff of various MUDs. I am one of them really. Whenever I wrote something while I was angry because of something in the game (Good RPIs are like this.. When something happens in game, time to time it affects your real life), I wrote extremely foolish things which later I laugh. Thanks to IMMs who understands.

ii) Lack of player perspective.

Players look at the events from one view,their character. IMMs have chance to analyze the events from a large perspective. They know much more about the situation, and they usually have experience since they face that kind of unpleasant situations many times.

That's easy and unfair way to tell IMMs.. "You are wrong.. I am right." One should consider staff spend a lot of time while playing and watching the game. Even sometimes I do not like some actions of IMMs, but I am experienced enough to understand their decisions are much wise and correct then what I thought first.

iii) IMMs are human

They can make mistakes. They are not super-humans who always give right decisions. When they face a problem, they came up with a result, and as above I mentioned they give desions much wise and correct then players.

I can not understand why people deeply annoyed and flame when they think there is unfair and unjust decision at hand. That's part of the life, your boss may flame at you because of her own mistake, damm trafic cops fee you for something you did not do... That's the world turns around. They do great work to run a game, and yes.. they can make mistakes. That's maturity to understand and accept the fact, they are human who work for players without any financial expectation.

Here is my two sids. I hope you would take your own chance trying ARM and see how good ARM and large staff is...

PS. Yes, staff does not do something IC like giving a lot of coins, items to newbies to make them love the game. They try to keep the roleplaying atmosphere as realistic as possible. When your character is dying because of hunger, don't expect a bulk of bread to fall from sky.
Gaare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Singer

Singer is on a distinguished road
As a staff member you will have to live with encountering players that are upset, and are not perhaps always on their best behaviour.

Anyone can handle someone that is balanced and in a good mood.
Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Singer

Actually I heard quite a few stories about this, and generally I must say that the result of loosing your temper seems to vary horrible in ARM from the admin appearing in person (avatar) and slaying your PC - to a pat on the shoulder.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Gaare

Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Jesus christ, can't you ****ing let a neutral/negative review go without posting about it? You're pathetic Gaare.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
mansa

mansa is on a distinguished road
I've seen it happen. Seen being where one of the admins, in dealing with a player, zorched their character. Did they deserve it? Yes and No.
mansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
To further elaborate on my post, since the topic starter wanted to PM me about it, I find it simply unnerving that some players decide to look at a review of their mud and if it isn't positive and wonderful and filled the greatness of said mud, they instantly start a thread about it and want to point out that a persons opinion is wrong. How can a persons opinion on something be wrong? Everyone is different, and it ****es me off when I see someone like Gaare come here and preach the greatness of staff and the mud, and make it seem like its perfect and pristine, when no mud is perfect and pristine.

All muds have their problems, it's simple as that, and it disgusts me to see players act like robots on a forum for a mud and try to be some constant promotional ad that flickers across your screen in an annoying glimmer of flashing colors. A lot of this applys to any mud, including medieva's hardened bull **** we all had to deal with when it first came back, which thank god has finally softened into a more pliable ****. Either way that's my opinion, and I don't care if you don't like it.

DKL
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Gaare

I do not have any eager of being more popular or my posts to be read, and my ideas to be accepted. So.. I use pms because of my respect to people who are reading the forum(since empty posts takes unneccesary time of readers but this time I will take your time and sorry for it,  if you are still reading it).

Yes, indeed everyone is different.. You have different ideas then myself. For example, when I read something I do not like, I do not insult them.

I love that game. I love my soccer team too. If someone tells our keeper sucks, I would like to clearfy it. It is indeed  
-obvious- NOTHING IS PERFECT and of course ARM either, else there would not be any other game then it.

From starting post:

Beatiful words.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Beatiful indeed.  I would even describe it as scrumtralescent.  Almost like a future in which floles have a purpose.
(look under sniglets or something)
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
Singer

Imms doing such a thing, I would say is a display of immaturity and just not taking the game and the position seriously.

If a player cannot play nicely you put him in the naughty room until he behaves.

If a player does things that makes him deserve getting killed in the actual game, you can always load up a group of warrior siblings to the ones he kiled - or let the gameworld deal with him in some other way.

I cannot imagine what would warrent such an action. And that review wasn't a flame, that review was mild critisism.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 AM   #11
crymerci

crymerci is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to crymerci Send a message via Yahoo to crymerci
crymerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 AM   #12
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
HEATHEN! BLASPHEMER!

PEANUT-LOVER!

Edit: <clears his throat> Oooookay, then. <glances at the clock> It seemed funny at the time, I swear. <shuffles off to find straitjacket>
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Latest Armageddon Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Abandoned Realms Review Davairus Tavern of the Blue Hand 39 07-06-2005 05:38 PM
The latest Armageddon review... WarHound Tavern of the Blue Hand 10 05-22-2005 10:36 PM
Response to latest Armageddon Review Jazuela Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 06-13-2004 10:39 PM
Latest Armageddon MUD Review Sanvean Advertising for Players 0 03-08-2004 11:29 AM
Perished Lands - Latest review Klered Advertising for Players 0 09-09-2002 11:18 AM