Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 02-22-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Yes we did have had A LOT of spanish, european (swedish for example) players using our PUBLIC channels with other languages than english in the past. Basically this rule was added because so many people find it annoying to have to be listening to it on global channels etc, and not being part of discussions.

People are free to use it whenever they talk to their friends, when they group with them and so on, but not on global or public channels that everyone hear. People can talk perfectly fine in groups, with tells, ooc, and guild chat in their own whatever languages they want.

And our game is not a non-rp game. Being rp encouraging does not mean it is a non-rp game...

(The rule was copy-pasted from our rules it appears, so just wanted to give some feedback).
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
Aside from the spam, if an imm doesn't know what players are saying on a public channel, they can't enforce profanity guidelines, etc...

For all they know, you're telling their players to go play another mud.
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
While I understand where you are coming from, I don't really agree.

Ever been out with a group of friends. And two or more start whispering to each other and giggling.  Think that's rude?  Or, what about if that same two or three people started talking in a French, and the rest of the group knows nothing but English.

I find this a bit annoying. If its a global channel, you are pretty much talking to the whole mud (or everyone who is tuned into that channel).  I think isn't nice to broadcast something that only a few poeple understand to the whole MUD.

Now, if he game was a RP mud, and the channel was IC, that is something completely different.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
One more reason for other countries to hate the US. Yay!

Seriously, the US needs to be chopped up into several countries so that we'd have to deal with more people speaking different languages. Are people speaking another language than your own around you really rude? Or are you simply unused to it?
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
We do have people who speak other languages besides English in the States.

Try coming to my upper-middle-class predominately white, skilled-trade and white-collar neighborhood some day and visit the local Dunkin Donuts. Most of the people there don't speak -or- understand the language of the neighborhood they're in. Trying to explain that you want 2 sugars instead of 3 in there is about as enjoyable as experimenting with your fingers in the blender and hitting the pulverize button just to see if the fatty pieces will splatter a pretty design on the ceiling.

In a game that is created by the English-speaking population, which desires to cater *mostly* to the English-speaking population, I don't see any problem with having an English-only rule.

-She who has given up asking for 2 sugars and drinks her mid-day cup sweeter than she'd prefer
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
Burke

Burke is on a distinguished road
I think this issue is a bit more easily understood with another situation.

Imagine I designed a simple replacement code in my MUD client that translated english to some gibberish and could translate it back if other people spoke it over the public channels. Now obviously my friends and I can understand each other, but no one else can (barring that they break this simple code).

Now the immortals of that MUD have a problem policing any communications that use this code. On muds that have no rules about what you can or can not say this is not a problem. Most every MUD I know has at least a few though. Its really a control issue. Languages outside the knowledge of the immortals can get around any of these rules.

So I don't see any elements of american imperalism or even racism here. Its just a control issue. I imagine if someone used a difficult to understand slang on the public channels the reaction would be the same no matter that it was a form of english.
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Venomz

Name: Donovan
Venomz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Venomz Send a message via AIM to Venomz Send a message via MSN to Venomz Send a message via Yahoo to Venomz
Quite so. Heh. I speak from personal experience.
Venomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
We have a similar rule on our MUD.

From "help gossip" :

NOTE: This is an English only MUD. All conversations on public channels should be conducted in English.

I can understand why it would bother some people. However, our management staff is pretty much all english speaking and enforcing channel rules when people are speaking in other languages is impossible.
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
An RP enforced mud has two choices: (1) recruit staff who (between them) speak all languages spoken by the playerbase, or (2) put a rule into affect which states that players must only speak English (or whichever language is the primary language of that mud). As option 1 is simply not viable in most cases, any mud which wishes to do a decent job of enforcing roleplaying will be forced to use option 2. If Armageddon doesn't do either, then presumably it hasn't had to deal with the situation of players speaking foreign languages yet - but other muds have.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #12
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Ani lo mevin al ma hamehuma... sah hakol anashim omrim dvarim she-atem lo mevinim...

Now that wasn't so bad, wasn't it? Just one line of spam in this whole discussion. And it probably put a smile on the faces of the people who did understand it, so no harm done.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #13
Frostflower

Frostflower is on a distinguished road
Frostflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:18 PM   #14
Realedazed

Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
This isn't another reason to hate the US.

Maybe I'm just too polite. But you should talk in the primary language being used. Its basically the same as the whispering example I just used.

I don't mind people speaking in another language. I'm hoping to learn another soon, myself. But if you speak in French at a table where a majority of the people sitting there speaks English, it is basically holding a private conversation. That is very rude to have a private conversation right in company of a group.

If those people were sitting at another table speaking another language, why should I care.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 AM   #15
Eldorian

Eldorian is on a distinguished road
On our MUD it's not an official policy to speak only English but sometimes we will tell people to speak English, under our rule saying to follow an Immortal's orders. We do so usually only when it's facilitating OOC or otherwise cheating. For example, we've had cases where people got their good-only friends to identify stuff for their evil characters, done so via talking to each other in a foreign language (couldn't identify which one), and giving each other the same equipment as well. Generally, though, our unofficial policy is that we allow it unless it disrupts gameplay, whether due to the above (breaking roleplay), or OOC gangbanging, or something along those lines. In about 90% of all cases it's not disruptive, and we don't mind letting friends talk to each other in their own native language. It's when it starts affecting fairness and other people's gameplay that we step in.
Eldorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:02 AM   #16
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I don't think the whispering example or the table example really pertain to this incident.

Whispering depicts a few people trying to be secretive around a much larger group, and the table example depicts a few people trying to be withdrawn from a larger group. It's only rude in these situations if the larger group is ALL working together on something.

But on a Mud - on a global channel - ALL the people talking are RARELY all talking about the same thing. How many times have we all seen on our own muds the global channel being a collective of like 12-15 people carrying on 3-4 simultaneous separate conversations?

So if you allow separateness in English - why wouldn't you allow separateness in other languages?
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #17
Riviat

Home MUD: Avatar MUD
Riviat is on a distinguished road
We got round this by creating a special public channel called ESL (English Second Language) which players can toggle on or off as needed.

People are free to talk in their native language on this channel. If we get people speaking in languages other English on public channels we direct them to this channel.
Riviat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:02 AM   #18
Kastagaar

Kastagaar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kastagaar
That's not a problem. In my experience, I've noticed that most non-English native speakers tend to swear in English, no matter their mother tongue.
Kastagaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 PM   #19
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #20
enigma@zebedee

enigma@zebedee is on a distinguished road
We have quite a few dutch players for some reason, and they do occasionally shout dutch out. We don't really see it as a problem though, in fact most regular players are now able to respond to 'Euj'. We also have a couple of dutch gods, so even the cheating aspect isn't a problem.

The swearing issue is a bit more tricky. For example someone recently created a character who's name basically translated as cold vagina - but much less politely.

In english the name looked totally innocent. In dutch it was anything but.

So, what should we do? Get rid of the character as we would the same name in english? But just about anything is going to be a swearword in some language somewhere!

It's an interesting problem...
enigma@zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote

No Foreigners Allowed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should discrimination be allowed? John MUD Administration 21 03-19-2004 06:46 PM