Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #201
latus
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
latus is on a distinguished road
Not quite, no.

You stated a few things, which I quoted in my previous post, matter of factly. You even gave statistics (99% and 1%) to back your point up. The fact remains that your "facts" were entirely made up in your own head. Whether they are your opinion or not does not validate them or make it any more acceptable to post them in a manner as to pretend they are facts.

As to replying to "my" bias and subjective statement... which one would that be? The one where I pointed out that a quote was from 1999? I do not believe I made any other posts in the past on these forums.

Once more, if you are going to post something, be smart about it and post things that have some semblance of being rooted in reality.
latus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #202
Hajamin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lusternia
Posts: 35
Hajamin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Valg @ Jan. 21 2006,07:17)
Unless there's an objection to the proposed "four checkbox" system, I'll try to run it by Synozeer at the end of the weekend or so.

In the meantime: Taken from this link:

From : Matthew Mihaly
Subject : Re: (MUD-Dev]) Pay Muds & Free Muds - working together, or against each other?

First, I run a pay mud, not a free mud. It doesn't charge (yet) for on-line time, but to advance the strenght and variety of your abilities very far upwards takes money. Players buy credits to raise their skills (as a particular skill goes up, they gain more abilities that are contained within that skill). Maxxing out all your skills isn't something most people do, but to get, for instance, all three of your class-related skills to Transcendent (the max), would cost, if you bought the largest amount of credits at once that you could, about, $330. Maxxing out your character takes about $1200.

This checks out with the cost estimates posted, as far as the pure-cash route. The first sentence sure is interesting, though.

Questions for IRE players: How long (time-wise) would it take you to start with a new account, and get all three of your guild's skills to transcendant? I continue to be curious about what the trade-off is.
I see nothing wrong with it, but then again I don't make such decisions.

As for your quote, at the time of writing that was 100% correct. When that was written, transfering credits between different players was not possible(yes, you could have someone else buy them in your name, but that was risky for both parties and frowned upon). A few years later that was changed, and with that change came the ability to get to the top of the latter without spending any real money yourself.
Hajamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #203
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Again, this is all opinion, but it is the reason why many non-IRE players think poorly on the company... it advertises itself as the best PvP MUD around(it isn't, not by far, trust me) - and then requires massive amounts of credits to become as powerful as you can be(or even should be).

That's the part from my post that you either did not read, or left out while quoting. It was speaking of everything I had stated beforehand, admitting that it was all subjective and my opinion.

My argument really has nothing to do with the quality of IRE MUDs, once more, so I hate going back and forth on this when it is simply unimportant.

Try responding to the important subject being discussed in this forum, we can all already see that you are defending your own MUD with tooth and nail.

It's unecessary - IRE can use whatever combat system it wants to. However, let's have all games be marked in a helpful way on this resource website, and let's stop with the selective quoting crap.

In the end, these last couple posts just end up making both of us look stupid, and don't help anyone else out at all.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #204
latus
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
latus is on a distinguished road
I am not defending anything as "my mud." I haven't taken a position either way on any topic except to point out that 1) a quote was from 1999, 2) you are posting your opinions and trying to pass them off as facts.

No doubt you will again respond that I did not quote a certain part of it. I've read your post. I've reread it. I even read the part you just quoted me. It states "this is all opinion" but then goes on to state that many people think the same. An opinion is what -you- think, not what you think others may think. If they do think like you, good, great, they can post it. Don't speak for them.

And honestly, I couldn't care less if IRE advertises itself as a free mud or as a pay-for-whatever mud. Neither of us gets anything out of their advertising, especially not money. The only thing that got me to post was the constant misposting of information.
latus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #205
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Quote:
Originally Posted by
No doubt you will again respond that I did not quote a certain part of it. I've read your post. I've reread it. I even read the part you just quoted me. It states "this is all opinion" but then goes on to state that many people think the same. An opinion is what -you- think, not what you think others may think. If they do think like you, good, great, they can post it. Don't speak for them.
Read the 80+ pages of the two recent threads dealing with this topic - read it carefully. Re-read it. Scratch your head and read it again. You'll see a lot of other players stating the same things that I stated as opinion in the above post.

Simply said, I admitted my opinion was opinion - you're the only one trying to pass it off as being stated as fact. And it's just sort of silly, pointless, and petty.

I won't respond to this issue again.

I am curious what Syno will think of the latest proposed checkbox idea, though.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #206
Sacac
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23
Sacac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (latus @ Jan. 21 2006,03:50)
I am not defending anything as "my mud."  I haven't taken a position either way on any topic except to point out that 1) a quote was from 1999, 2) you are posting your opinions and trying to pass them off as facts.

No doubt you will again respond that I did not quote a certain part of it.  I've read your post.  I've reread it.  I even read the part you just quoted me.  It states "this is all opinion" but then goes on to state that many people think the same.  An opinion is what -you- think, not what you think others may think.  If they do think like you, good, great, they can post it.  Don't speak for them.

And honestly, I couldn't care less if IRE advertises itself as a free mud or as a pay-for-whatever mud.  Neither of us gets anything out of their advertising, especially not money.  The only thing that got me to post was the constant misposting of information.
He isn't a mindbender. He doesn't know what people think, but he can sure have their thoughts as an opinion. However made up those thoughts are. Everyones post, however much fact they have in it, is still opinion when in an arguement about the meaning of a word. IMHO.


Matt is arguing what is "generally accepted" and Frye is arguing the literal meaning. While both having points, even if they are shallow, they are both telling me that they want more description of a mud.

My opinion? Instead of a mud describing itself, Syn can hire, or let some volunteers label muds. I am sure there would be volunteers.

As it is now, everyone exaggerates the qualities of their favorite mud that they like and minimalize the ones they don't. Still in MHO.
Sacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #207
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,241
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Threshold @ Jan. 19 2006,17:55)
I am just curious. What "skill" is involved in pressing the "kill monster" button thousands of times per day, 8, 10, 12, or more hours per day, 7 days a week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Valg @ Jan. 19 2006,19:15)
There isn't any, and it's probably not worth playing games where that is the case. Nor is it worth playing games where it's simply the player spends the most that wins. I avoid either of those types like the plague.

Any business model can be badly implemented. Please put the straw man down and return to the topic at hand.
Sorry, perhaps my post was a bit off topic.

I have trouble resisting the knee jerk reaction though when people call it "skill" that someone is able to turn off their brain and bash the same monster over and over for 16 hours in a row. I hate the way too many games these days are evolving into challenge-less, pure grinds. (And one of the worst offenders is WoW, where there isn't even a fuggin death penalty).

Anyway... after 20+ pages of people arguing over the definition of the word free, I couldn't help but jump on this side issue.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #208
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,241
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (DonathinFrye @ Jan. 21 2006,05:39)
Read the 80+ pages of the two recent threads dealing with this topic - read it carefully. Re-read it. Scratch your head and read it again. You'll see a lot of other players stating the same things that I stated as opinion in the above post.
Dude...... That is a cruel request. I've read about HALF of those posts and the thought of reading all of them, just once, is enough to make me run screaming for the hills.

Read them multiple times? Dang, that's evil.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #209
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dude...... That is a cruel request. I've read about HALF of those posts and the thought of reading all of them, just once, is enough to make me run screaming for the hills.

Read them multiple times? Dang, that's evil.

I am very eviillll.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


The meaning of 'free.' - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free mud hosting ulrik MUD Administration 0 10-23-2005 09:48 PM
Win a free T-Shirt! * Amnon Advertising for Players 0 11-20-2004 10:20 AM
Free mu*d FREE FOR ALL Enola_Phoenix Bugs and Suggestions 10 08-20-2004 09:07 PM
The meaning of "Reviews" Amnon Tavern of the Blue Hand 17 06-02-2003 11:58 AM
Anyone know of any free... Almondine War MUD Administration 5 02-22-2003 09:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014