Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Vrak

Vrak is on a distinguished road
Need some help making...

I know some Muds frown upon this but some MUDS allow it but I need some help on creating a bot for this MUD im on.

Oh and it would help if I tell you the client (d'oh) the client is MUSHClient.

Godspeed,
Vrak
Vrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Need some help making...

That doesn't tell us anything.

MUSHclient is just the means for accessing your address and port.

So, be kind and share with us the address and port.

(It'll be something like mymud.com 1211.)
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Vrak

oh im sorry its godwars2.com port 3000
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Brody
Legend

My misunderstanding. If it's not your own MUD, and you're trying to make a bot to make playing easier, then you should be sure the admins on that MUD allow botting. Many don't.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Vrak

I believe the admins allow it seeing how many players have their own bots and the admins do nothing to stop them.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Brody
Legend

Have you considered asking the other players, who are familiar with the codebase, how to make these bots? If the admins allow it and other players are doing it, it seems like they'd be a much better resource for you.

(I'm totally unversed in most codebases outside of PennMUSH, so I know I can't be much help in that regard.)
Old 09-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Vrak

I tried but they wouldn't help me..

oh well I guess I'll try find someone who knows about it.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

You may be better off on the MUSHclient forums, or maybe the MUD forums if it has one.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

It is likely if the players or staff on the mud won't help you, the usage is frowned upon. I know on NW we do not allow automation because the game is based around roleplay.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road

God Wars II does not prohibit botting, but we don't encourage it either. After all, we write our game for players to enjoy, not for bots to waste our CPU cycles.

If somebody's skilled enough to write a good bot and they're willing to accept the disadvantages botting gives them under the boosts system, we let them. Some players like hunting down bots, even in groups, and improving a bot to keep up in such situations can be a challenge in itself.

The way I see it, your choices are as follows:

-- Learn how to program a bot, and learn it well, if you want the bot to be successful.
-- Play the game the way it's meant to be played - and perhaps let us know why you feel the need to bot, post on the forums and suggest improvements that would make the game better for you and for others.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
Vrak

I just won't bot then and just play the game as should.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Cheers, Vrak! Good choice. In some games, as Angie stated, this is acceptable. If you play NW, or games like it, botting can ruin your fun.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

I think it's also worth expanding on the disadvantages of botting in God Wars II, just to put it into perspective.

Primal works much like exp does on most muds (renamed for thematic reasons, and to explain why you can improve your healing and crafting powers by going around killing things).

Age works a bit like level (it represents the sum of your stats, and restricts how far you can improve your skills, styles and powers).

Every time you kill a mob that gives you primal, you also gain a "Daily Kill" point. The first time you log on each real-life day, you earn 2.5 boost points, minus 0.01 for every Daily Kill you've got. Your Daily Kills are then reduced by 250 (to a minimum of 0).

You can spend 1 boost point to earn 2.5 times the normal amount of primal for your next 10 mob kills, or (optionally) to automatically succeed your next 10 skill-raise checks. You can also use boost points for maps (solve the map, find the node and kill the guardian to convert boosts into primal at a twice the exchange rate you'd get for a same-strength mob kill). In addition, if you are killed by a player while you're using boost points, you become safe from PK until you've finished using them, or until 10-30 minutes (depending on age) have passed, whichever comes first.

Various supernatural powers allow people to sense whenever you enter the world, and also every time you kill a mob. Every Daily Kill increases the range at which you can be detected by 15 feet (or 5 feet for accurate pinpointing).

Every daily kill beyond 50 is added to your age for the purposes of calculating how much primal other players earn for killing you. The amount of primal earned from PK is twice what you'd get for killing a mob of the same age, minus the amount your victim would get for killing a mob of your age, which means killing someone of higher age tends to be very beneficial.

Every mob kill beyond 250 is added to your age for the purposes of calculating how much primal you earn from a kill. Unless you're a bot or a hardcore low-age player, this isn't going to effect you (and low age players can also do a one-shot quest to earn 100 Kill Buffer points that soak up kills beyond 250).

In summary: The more you bot, the less you earn (relatively speaking), the easier you are for other players to find, and the bigger the reward they get for killing you. A bot won't match a skilled player, plus the active player can adjust their build specifically to deal with the bot. You're basically turning yourself into a big, juicy target, and other players will harvest you for primal.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum

After rereading your post KaVir (math story problem on too little sleep - UGH! ), it seems like a cool idea of how to discourage players from using bots.

But then I had a thought. From both your and Angie's posts, the pay off for hunting bot users seems very profitable. And Vrak seems pretty sure people are botting ... so I'm curious if you are worried about players creating bot char's for each other - to make those big juicy targets you are talking about. Seems like an easy way to farm "primal" if you ask me.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Well technically you don't earn primal for killing another player - you take it, and you can't take what they don't have. So the bot would have to run around earning the primal (at a much slower rate than a regular player) before you could transfer it to the other character.

The bot would also have to be around the same age as you (or higher) because of the way PK primal is calculated - kill a bot weaker than yourself and you could even lose primal. So while you could feed on the bot for a little while, you'd very quickly outpace it.

Another thing I forgot to mention is 'safe primal', which works exactly like regular primal except that it's spent before regular primal and cannot be stolen. You only earn safe primal from one-shot activities, such as exploring new areas or completing tasks, so they're irrelevant from a botting perspective (there's no point botting something you can only do once, and you can't transfer it between characters). You earn 100 primal for discovering each of the (currently 78) areas, while the tasks give between 1500 and 25000 primal each. To put that in context, killing a mob of your own strength gives 100 primal (or 250 boosted).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #16
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum

Ok, then back to my original thought - sounds like a good system to discourage botting and encourage discovery.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote