Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 10-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Zmud fell to pieces on me after I ran a popup destroyer and *shame* deleted my backups. WSASRV causes an error in something, and long story short Zmud = Kaput.

Any suggestions for a replacement client? Over the past couple months I've tried fireclient, mushclient, gmud, and a few others but they all seem ****ty to me.

I liked zmud alot, and wish I could still use it, so any clients which are strikingly similar or a complete clone would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

SimpleMU - I think.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Keldar

Keldar is on a distinguished road
That depends on what you want from the client. If you need various GUI bells and whistles, then you'll just have to revive Zmud. If all you need is a reliable and comfortable replacement for telnet with decent scripting, then SimpleMu all the way. If you want scripting on both basic and advanced levels then Mushclient is the only possible choice. There are other factors certainly, but I'd say that Mushclient, SimpleMu, and Zmud are the best clients available right now and are pretty much what you should be choosing from.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
You could try .

It does pretty much everything zmud can, with a few minor exceptions. It has no built in mapper and some MXP tags are as yet unsupported (like different fonts) or only partial supported (image tags will show as a link if forced 'on', but the latest versions will indicate to the mud that they are not supported, since they are supposed to be inlined, which the client can't do). However, it does support most everything zmud can do, it isn't prone to crash and bugs when actually discovered usually get fixed within a matter of days (and there are usually no outstanding ones in the non-beta versions). Scripting you get the option of VBScript, Javascript or if installed Perlscript or Python. User data is in XML based files, so you can hand edit stuff if needed. A plugin system lets you create stand alone scripts, along with all related timers, alias and triggers, which anyone can then plug directly into their own world files. Plus lots of other neat things. Oh, and you can evaluate it (without any disabled features) for as long as you like.

I admit it does have some things I wish it did do, like the inlined images for those that need them, but it is expected that a rewrite may happen at some point in the future to make it easier to port to Linux and some missing things may get added then. In any case, the developer is pretty quick at coming out with new updates that add improvements as well. Sometimes within days if something fairly simple to add.

If you are looking for a good replacement for zmud, then mushclient is the only one that comes even close and imho, in many ways it exceeds it.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Sebeq

Sebeq is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sebeq Send a message via MSN to Sebeq Send a message via Yahoo to Sebeq
jmc is alot better if your looking for a replacement.
Sebeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I myself use MUSHclient and find it more than capable in every regard, easy to install (if needed, easy to remove), easy to use, and quite good in the free version (which for what you're getting is a nice bonus).

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
jaaon

jaaon is on a distinguished road
is my client of choice. Fast, bloatless, and easy to script. Runs native on Linux, and on Windows with .
jaaon is offline   Reply With Quote

Decent client? Help me out... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AL Client Lorccan MUD Coding 0 04-11-2005 02:21 PM
Anyone know of a decent C++ codebase? Mierza MUD Coding 9 04-02-2004 05:58 AM
Damsels in Distress looking to hire a decent coder aiyabeth Advertising for Staff 2 09-09-2002 07:58 PM
Damsels In Distress, In Need of a Decent Coder aiyabeth MUD Coding 0 09-07-2002 04:26 PM
Who is the client? Neranz Laverani MUD Administration 0 09-04-2002 01:48 PM