Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Ganking MMO*s

I have always thought that a very good place to advertise MUDs is at colleges, where many people get increased access to computers and computer-time (you could also argue that colleges are the places where MUDs would do the most harm by taking people away from study and into gaming). As for how to promote MUDs, I was thinking that it does not sound absurd to me to have some sort of mini-world set up in a way that you can create an avatar and join a server that works as a portal, the portal would then have different parts of the MUD life as in H&S, RP, Futuristic, Medieval, Fantasy etc. The difficult part is that it would need to be a display and not require many actual active people inside to work, otherwise it would mean having people playing in the 'portal' actively, but if through some sort of scripting you could allow people to get a first idea of what MUDs are about in general in a kind of centralized way it might work.

I know it sounds odd and might not work at all, but the idea is broadly to have a place to refer people to that is not too complex and has a little of many different styles embedded, that has nothing in much depth but allows for some kind of interaction in a canteen like environment.

Well, just something that came to mind and might be just as worthless as the next idea
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #22
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Ganking MMO*s

Given that many of us (like me!) started MUDing while in college it does seem like a good idea. We had posters made up awhile ago (like ) that were intended to be printed out by fans and posted up in internet cafes, colleges, schools, and so on but I'm unsure how many have really been put up. We didn't follow up on it all that well to be honest.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #23
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Ganking MMO*s

Same here. It's an excellent idea, but we just keep forgetting to remind people about the option. Maybe I should add a "fliers" section to the MU*Wiki and make it so people can upload PDFs that can be printed and posted?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote