Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Kopribear

Kopribear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kopribear Send a message via MSN to Kopribear Send a message via Yahoo to Kopribear
Smile

Though it's futile, one last stab at defending myself: I do have a mind of my own. I am not a sock puppet (or any kind of sock, for that matter), nor am I a zombie, or free-will challenged. It's not as though Logos asked me to join the boards just to back him up... he has no idea who I am. He may even be a little weirded out that I'm speaking in his favour... even though it's not just in his favour, if someone else amused me as much then I would state thus. These arguments are stupid, and I think that's what he's trying to get you to see. Arguing on these boards is going to change nothing but the way you feel about yourself, even if that self-esteem comes from cutting other people down and tearing apart what they say word by word.

All of you are so self-righteous that people are afraid to come here and have fun... these boards shouldn't be a threatening place, they should be a place that MUDers can come and meet and talk... yes, a civil term: TALK... about MUDs and the things going on in them.

Nope, I had no idea when I came here what the whole Medievia controversy was about, and for that I apologize. I'm sorry to have interrupted your dead serious 'discussions' with my mindless babbling and 'schizophrenic ramblings'... intelligent people conversing with people trying to defend their own intelligence, even when not under attack, amuse me. I expressed my amusement the way I always do. So if I offended you, I'm sorry. If I ****ed you off, I'm sorry. Get off my case. If you don't like what I say and you think I'm as insignificant as you claim, then just ignore me instead of giving me a reason to reply. I thought you were all advanced, perhaps this method escapes many of you because you like to hear yourselves talk, and get your jollies off of ripping people apart no matter what they say.

Mmhmm, I like attention, just like the rest of you who post, because otherwise you wouldn't be posting, as posting tends to draw attention. Maybe I like it more, sure. And okay, I'm immature, I'll take that. But God forbid anyone list your faults, my friends, or we shall be here all day. Luckily, if this too ****ed you off, I don't care, and neither should you. They're just schizophrenic rantings of a teenage dramaqueen, after all. Have a lovely day, friends.
Kopribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
I like it.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Kopribear

Send a message via AIM to Kopribear Send a message via MSN to Kopribear Send a message via Yahoo to Kopribear
*chin* nothing seemed to merit a new paragraph, actually...
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Talk about a run-on sentence! Jazuela taught me about that.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
A simple sentence consists of a subject, a verb, and a predicate. When a reader must do research in attempt to find each of these three, then you have already lost your reader.

Regarding paragraphs:

A typical paragraph will begin with the point. A brief explanation of the point follows, and a summary of the point will end the paragraph. Often, a paragraph will contain only three sentences; though there is room in the "rules" for variance. If, however, your point is hidden within a "wall of text" and is not easily discernable, then once again you have already lost your reader.

A hundred words strung together with elipses (...) does not a sentence make.

The written English language: love it, embrace it, own it.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Kopribear

Arrow

*gigglefall* I love you...

There, I just paragraphed it... poorly. Oh well, I don't have much time. But is that better?

Also... I like elipses. Obviously... and I don't care what JK Rowling said about elipses being personified writer's block...

... ... ... ...

^_^
Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
Jazuela

Much improved. Now I can actually comment on what you said, rather than the existence of the wall of text!

Let's see:

First, kudos for acknowledging that you came into this forum, a veritable noob, and interrupted a rather serious discussion with silly bouncy giggly happy smurf-speak. Kudos for appreciating why it wasn't appreciated.

Second, what the heck is gigglefall? Is that like a waterfall with giggling smurfs falling down from the top? Remember please, this isn't a MUSH or MUD, it's a forum. We don't have a verblist here in this forum. It's always a good idea, if you wish to be taken seriously, to avoid using faux emotes in a public forum (though the occasional <smirk> is always entertaining).

Third, feeding trolls is never a good idea, because you end up dropping to their level and annoying everyone in the process. Some folks here get their jollies by attacking each other. Some attack each other only when they are seriously offended by something. And some prefer to just lurk and be amused and avoid the line of fire.

Bear in mind, the moment you step into the firepit, you become a target. Topmudsites can be brutal that way. If your asbestos suit is at the tailor's for repair, or if you walk into the firepit because you didn't bother to open your eyes and notice it was there, then you've only yourself to blame when the flames start boiling your skin.

It's a fun place here, but what constitutes "fun" is vastly different from many of the muds our members play. Giggling happy bouncy smoochy types usually get trampled. I get my beatings on occasion, and I'm about as anti-giggle as it gets. You learn to either take the beatings, or stay out of heated discussions, or say your piece and bite your tongue and absolutely positively refuse to take the bait when someone attacks your post.

Good luck and welcome to the 7th layer of Suk-krath's fiery pits of h311!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
While some of it may be some attention drawing, forums, and the internet are places where ideas can be shared. People who have ideas, or are drawing blanks on Ideas that they are developing want to hear feedback about those ideas. We don't post just to post (well, at least not here I don't).

When your signal to noise ratio is low, you tend to lose respect in a community like this. It may not be nessicarily so, in this forum, but in other forums, signal is good, noise is bad. And as Jazuela noted, a little fluff is okay, a lot is annoying.

Oh, and first impressions mean a lot.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Delerak

I wonder what my 1st post was..
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #11
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
One thing you should know Kopribear is that these boards are really not worth visiting if you're not a mud developer. They're extremely newbie unfriendly, particularly if you have a whif of commercial mud player on you.

Heck, these boards aren't even veteran friendly. They're so flamey that the denziens of #### must look on in envy.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
Kopribear

*whispers* a gigglefall... has nothing to do with smurfs. It's falling down laughing, or giggling in fluff speak. And I apologize for annoying you all with my... 'fluff'... it's just the way I am I suppose.

I'm not a MUD developer... but I still find the discussions interesting and will likely continue to remain here, wanted or unwanted. As for my first impression... whoops. Guess that went out the window ^^;;
Old 05-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
I'm not a mud developer and I can tell you right now I have found these forums to be amazingly entertaining. The amount of energy to flame Medievia could be used as an infinite fuel source to heat the
world!

By the way, I'm new here too. I'm very opinionated when it comes to my mud, balance, and a variety of other things.

Have a nice day. Oh, and watch for me...I'll be here.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Very well said Jaz and I apologize for not applauding that work of art earlier.

Kopribear...you ARE welcome here as is everyone else who is part of the mudding community, noob or not, frequent poster or not. While occasional jibes 'gigglefalls' are certainly fun and entertaining, I think we strive for comments that actually contribute to the overall discussion. Think of reaction before you post is probably a good golden rule.

Welcome to the fray, Jeena.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
Just as the amount of damage that Mercthievia has done to the mud community could be used as a weapon of mass destruction.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I'm not a MUD developer and I think it's worth coming here. If only to discuss all kinds of things. There is a good exchange of ideas going here and I like to take part in it, even though I may not program the MUDs.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
Kopribear

Shh, okay, non MUD developers are fine here, too. I'm sure he sees your point after two or three people have said the same thing. It's not worth the argument.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
Jazuela

I'm not a mud developer either. It's also not much fun telling Hardestadt he's wrong, because he always takes it so well. Tavern of the Blue Hand is the forum category most of us "lesser beings" hang out, but on occasion most of us will take a shot at responding in one of the other categories.

And whether he wants to believe it or not, there's more of us than there are of him. He is outnumbered. Let's just humor him though, hm? Or maybe gigglefall and lol and rotf and stuff on him. Yeah, that'll show him!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #19
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
No! Please don't! That'd be worse than reading another dissection of the Diku license. *sob*

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #20
Kopribear

I must... I cannot contain it... *takes a deep breath*... *gigglefall!*

...*ahem* anyway, 'lol' is a sin against the internet.