Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Hello all
My name is Avguste and I am more or less new to MUDs. I have been trying MUDs on and off for the past 1-2 years. I have tried all of IRE's muds, Carrion Fields and Materia Magica. During that time,none really clicked with me, and I think that was mostly due to my busy lifestyle and such. I am now in summer vacation and although I am playing quite a few graphic MMORPGs(Eve Online,Minions of Mirth,Dofus,2Moons), I decided to give another more serious go to MUD gaming.
The games I am going to attempt,give a more serious try are Aetolia, Carrion Fields and Materia Magica.
I do however have a few questions:

1. As as more or less a new player,how can I get used to the fact that it is no graphical and there is so much reading?
2. As a new character going into a MUD,how can I fit within the story and the other characters?

I am sure I will have some more questions,but as of now,that is it.
Thank you
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
Welcome! As an MMO player, what about MUDs appeals to you enough to try them in the first place? The answer to (1) probably lies there. As for (2), the smartest thing you can do on any mud is just sit and watch for a while, get a feel for the game, get a feel for its "chemistry" then decide if it's right for you.

As for story, some MUDs have stricter themes than others, but once you're a regular you ARE the story...
TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
lovechiefs

Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Well,I think what always attracts me to MUDs is the difference between MUDs and graphical MMORPGs.I mean, I love graphical ones,but sometimes one needs to diversify.But it is still hard to get used reading all the time,LOL
Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Based on your posts (which I've read most of) I think you might enjoy AVP.

1. As as more or less a new player,how can I get used to the fact that it is no graphical and there is so much reading?

Just play, because once the places form in your mind, you don't bother reading anymore. The more you play the less you bother to do. Even for the combat, you'll find you develop a filter for ignoring information that doesnt matter. A well-designed mud is no more difficult in combat than a graphical one, although it might demand you do it faster. *wink*

2. As a new character going into a MUD,how can I fit within the story and the other characters?

Depends on the game world, if you played AR you would probably start out as the guy pounding the Mystics with these sort of questions, since they're the "newbie help" organisation meant for you. =D I think on the muds you mentioned, look forward to speedbump status for the next couple years, that's just my opinion.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
lovechiefs

Thanks for the response.
What is AVP?

As far as controls, I am mostly used to the controls and such. I just need to get used to reading so much text. I mean, doesn't the text provides much needed info for the life in the realm,including story and such?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Opie

Opie is on a distinguished road
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
New mudders benefit most from a website seperate from the game itself, containing the game rules, syntax, commands, environment, IC history, info on races and cities and all the rest of the "stuff" you would want to know.

It is ridiculously difficult though, if all those "help files" aren't clear, intuitive, and categorized logically. I've actually seen one game, where if you wanted to find out about a certain type of tree mentioned in the room descriptions, you'd have to be IN the game, and then:

help
>Please select from the following categories: General, Skills, Combat
general
>I do not understand that.
help general
>Please select from the following categories: Commands, Verbs, History, Races, Cities
(Thinking to yourself: Uh, trees don't fall into any of those categories. Hm, I'll try history.)
help history
>Please select from the following categories..

and so on and so forth until you decide not to bother even trying, and go stick your fingers in a blender for a thrilling change of pace.

One really awesome (and I mean AWESOME) website for a mud is the Inferno site. It's outdated but I've never seen such a gorgeous layout for a mud before (that's a hint to any web workers for muds). Here's the URL for the main page:

and here's the manual layout:

I think Inferno might even be a good game for you to try out; they're fairly newbie friendly, free to play, there are ongoing plotlines and a few "autoquests" for you to work on, and they have a pretty active staff and player base (though they have a -very- small player base).

Even if it turns out Inferno isn't for you, I think it is a REALLY great introductory game for new mudders to learn "how" to immerse themselves in an ongoing novel where they are one of the characters.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
Nice looking site, nice skin they have on the forum too!
TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
<Snip. No real need for that kind of response - Xerihae>

Last edited by Xerihae : 08-15-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
lovechiefs

Thank you for your replies guys
I have decided and became involved in three Muds: Achaea, Aetolia and Carrion Fields. I have to say that so far I am having fun

I tried Materia,but I have to say that it wasn't as interesting as the three above. The only good thing I found in Materia is their client.

I have also just found that that it is somewhat tough to play more than 1 Mud at a time. Tough because of all the story and roleplay.
Any of you has tried playing more than 1 mud at a time?Opinions

Heritsunm,which MMO are you working for?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
Opie

Opie is on a distinguished road
Greetings,

I have indeed tried playing 1 MUD at a time. It didn't work very well for me. Then again, I never really played more then 1 game at a time. I enjoy sticking to one, and when the time comes, move on to another. I did, however, work in more then 1 MUD at a time. Usually would program in one, PR another, etc.

As for what MMO I work for, I'll send you a PM.

Regards.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote