Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-05-2002, 10:13 AM   #21
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Things that turn me off about games:

1) Autocombat. I want every single hit I deliver (if any) to be due to my own typing (or lack thereof).

2) OOC/chat channels. If I want to chat, I'll get an AOL account and join a chat room.

3) Room descriptions that indicate there are interesting things there, but when you try to "look" at those things, it turns out they don't exist. Especially annoying in MOOs - OBJECT oriented - I want objects dangit!

4) Roleplay "encouraged." I don't need to roll up a fantasy character in a medieval world in ordered to be myself. I go to these games to roleplay, and I expect everyone else to follow suit in the game I choose to play.

5) Staff members with ego problems. Dood - you're NOT god. Not even in the RP world. You're the representative of this fictional world, and I am your customer. Treat me as one, or I'll find another place to go.

6) Players who go to extremes when dealing with newbies. Meaning - being so overly helpful that the newbie has no opportunity to learn things for themselves, or people who are so overly protective that the newbie no longer has any interest in wading through the manual to figure out why "look desk" returns "You can't do that."

7) If the only two options for colors are those the MUD provides, or none at all, no matter which front end you're using. I want to use the color scheme *I* like to use, which is why I have a front end that allows me to create the scheme in the first place. ANSI ON should let me set whatever background color I want (a very pale gray), whatever text I want (courier 10 font, black for normal text), and whatever highlighted things I want (triggers to allow the word "You" to always be a bold red).

8) Games where the only option for skills is hunting. I have no problem with levels, or "ranks" of skills. But if advancement is part of the system, I don't want to have to hunt in ordered to advance. Hunting should be an option, not a requirement.

9) RP games that have NO skill systems at all - meaning, everything is roleplayed. I LIKE having a variety of systems that include skill checks. The only thing that truly differentiates a "pure" RP game from a chatroom is moving through rooms. I consider that amazingly boring.

Well now that I've posted my pet peeves - and since my tagline shows that I'm currently mudless.. anyone got any ideas of a game I can play? You're probably thinking "man she wants it ALL." Well yeah, I do. So if that means there exists no such game, then I'll go back to being a TV Troll.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:08 PM   #22
TG_Hammar

TG_Hammar is on a distinguished road
I hate stock areas mostly, but even worse is stock areas in a MUD with a totally different theme (ie. a Wheel of Time MUD that is mostly stock and players can choose to be an Aiel Elf that is a Blademaster Aes Sedai). It is very important to have a MUD with code and areas that support the theme.

Other than that, I appreciate MUDs that I can comprehend the very first time I log in. It is nice to see good helpfiles and well thought out areas for you to start in. Difficult areas should be kept at a distance from where new players originate.

I have another problem with MUDs that claim "heavy RP with limited PK" meaning: Some RP and stories over a noteboard and limitless PK and bragging over global channels...
TG_Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:02 PM   #23
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:19 PM   #24
CSmith_Fan

Exclamation

Ok something additional that might become a whole discussion in it's own thread but...lack of information in Listings (here or otherwise).
One thing I'd like to know.."Is it a "Rent" MU*?" If it's "RP Enforced" I can understand, but if it's "RP? I guess so if you want to" type, then I veer sharply away from those. Why? Ok, imagine you have like 3 copper (because the Admins decided to break up the monetary system into 5 different parts and the whole concept needs someone with an Accounting Degree to understand it) and you've been exploring for the past 5 hours online. You find a rare-of-a-rare-to-repop item. An item that 99% of the MU* has never seen..and IRL, you have to log off. Normally you can "Save" and then Quit, but oh no..this is "Rent" and you're the only one on. You cant rent (because it takes 3 gold which equals 3000copper and the wealthiest mob you can kill only holds 4 copper per mob) and you cant go linkless..you become screwed. All that work and for what? Just to be able to see and hold something that has a 1:1000000000000000000 chance of repopping in the next 5 RL years.
Personally, I think listings should include the Save Type system it uses. But that also brings up the "Extended Races" tagline..There should also be more defined labels of the "ER" tagline..I mean if a MUD adds say, orcs to the "core" races, they can be called "Extended Races" versus say, what Retro did with 60 playable races. Maybe "ER1", "ER2" and so on..each "level" of "Extended Races" represents the amount and somewhat orginality they have with the races. I, and others, like to play something not normally played race wise, so why not add the extra identifying stuff to single out what's only got say 3 mores races versus say 15 more races? Would be nice...

-Jon
Old 09-10-2002, 05:36 AM   #25
John

John is on a distinguished road
My pet peeves are:

1> Ansi is blinding, I don't mind having NO ansi.
2> It -isn't- RP enforced. I'm sorry, but I LOVE role-playing, and I can look over a lot of things if it has role-playing.
3> Atmosphere. I like to feel as if I am within the world.
4> Imm/players have giant egos. I don't want too have to deal with big-headed people, nor do I like people who ruin the atmosphere by being too helpful. There is a difference between IC and OOC. If it's IC for someone to treat my like dirt, I want to be treated like dirt, however if they need to talk OOCly I expect to be treated like a person and not be treated like dirt.
5> lack of numbers, I like in on-peak times for their to be at least 20 people.
6> I kinda said it before, but a nice, friendly OOC attitude from both the staff and players.
7> the emote system, although I'm kinda spoiled in this respect.

I read all of everyone's pet peeves and noticed a game I am playing at the moment to have some of their annoyances, but to fit -most- of their requirements, especially Jazuela which fit every single criteria except one.

For anyone who wants something a little different or is looking for a good Mud, I suggest It is set in a harsh desert theme, so don't expect to be held by the hand, however on the message board and in the help files you'll be given a lot of advice on how to survive, but nothing that gives away IC information.

It also has perma-death which helps stop the players from getting a big-head as they can be playing the most powerful noble in the whole known world one day, then playing a lowly beggar the next.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 06:25 AM   #26
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Interesting answers =).

My personal top peeve is the same as Molly's, too many rules/regulations/mustn't/shouldn'ts - ie too much imm-enforced "control". I guess I come from a tradition and belief that it's up to the game to be coded well enough so that absurdities are simply not able to happen, as opposed to relying on imms being heavyhanded, laying down the law and saying "if you {yaddayaddayadda} then we'll zap/penalise/whatever".

Ingham - je bent dus ook een Nederlander? hrm.
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:30 AM   #27
Alaire

Name: Lisa
Home MUD: The Southlands
Alaire is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alaire Send a message via AIM to Alaire
Alaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:56 AM   #28
GenmaC

GenmaC is on a distinguished road
I've come to hate MUDs with LONG lists of rules and punishments. And also MUDs with abnormal restrictions against PK (hey! you are PK! no one is allowed to give you directions! <-- seriously happened to me on RoD).

I mean, yes, I was less than happy when my flesh was burned from my body by a rogue Healer in Achaea, but I had recourse, I had a guild, and didn't have to trek 10,000 miles back to get my body.
GenmaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 11:11 AM   #29
Grendal

Grendal is on a distinguished road
I haven't played that many other muds in my 3 years of mudding, but I have tried quite a few and then quit after the first 15 minutes or the first day.

I've basically only stuck with one MUD and it has become my home.

I compare all other muds to my HOME mud (the one I think is the best).

Things that will drive me away fast from a mud.

Color - Excessive color will cause me quit a mud within 2 minutes.
No PK or even restrictions on PK.
I hate the idea of having to get permission to kill someone.
Skill sets (I need stealing - like a pick pocket, abilty to knock someone out without killing, limited magic, a good crafting system that allows you to make everything you will use in the game)
The flow of combat must be of a high quality
Movement in the game must take time - If I travel from one room to the next room in less than 1/2 a second, I just can't stand it.
If I find a sword on the ground, I should be able to use it. I have been in one mud where I got a message saying that I must be at 15th level to use this sword. It's sword for god's sake, not an airplane. The same applies to armor. If it fits me, then I should be able to wear it. (Not - you must be 30 th level to use this armor) Geeeeeeezz

In my mud I have one complaint - No Events

There are player run events, a festival here, a gladitorial fighting competition there, but it's truly not the same as a large scale creator run EVENT.

I've tried many times to get the creators to take a break from coding in order to have some fun, play with US, the players.
I suggested that on the first of every month, they should drop their coding for a while and just have fun. RP with the playerbase. Send a nasty horde of thingys charging at the Fort. Cause the sky to rip with thunder. Meteors falling and causing great craters in the world map. Children locked in a dungeon that must be rescued. I mean just (ANYTHING)

They simply refuse and tell me that I'm bothering them while they are working.

I can only whittle so many clubs, carve so many stone arrow heads, travel and fight everything in the land, discover secret areas and kill so many people. I need a storyline. I need to be drawn into the game, not just sit on the sidelines practicing a spell until I'm blind.

I'm done now
Grendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #30
Pyxl

Pyxl is on a distinguished road
1. Bad colors
2. Getting PK'd right off the bat.

Those are the only two things that will make me log off right away.
Pyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:14 AM   #31
Shao_Long

Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #32
CSmith_Fan

I think also..if you check out (like here and maybe at TMC) the player reviews for the MUD and, for example, out of the 10 reviews, ONE is an actual players and the rest are all Staff..red flags go up. I mean, if a MUD has more staff reviews than player reviews, then the players (current and former) obviously know of some bad stuff we dont know about. It'd be like me going "C'mon Enzo..swallow this crushed glass..it's good for you" and 5 other wierdoes saying the same thing but everyone else going "no way"...Enzo would run away (or kick my butt then stroll off..and sorry for using you as an example..it was the first name to pop to mind). Maybe have restrictions as to how many staff reviews can be placed because there is already a small review (in a sense) in the MUD's listings.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:59 AM   #33
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
And just how do you propose to tell which ones are written by players or by the staff? They all sound like the same blatant advertising to me.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:54 PM   #34
Lovelorn

Lovelorn is on a distinguished road
Ditto! She hit every nail on every head for what turns me off in a Mud.
Lovelorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #35
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
For me, more than anything, theme. I only want to play rpis. If it's not an RPI I don't want to play. If it is I'm willing to put up with most of the other issues mentioned.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #36
parrotslave

parrotslave is on a distinguished road
When I walk into an outdoor room and try to look at the ground and get told there is no ground. What am I standing on? Or try to look at the sky and get told there is no sky.

Or in an indoor room and try to look at the floor and get told there is no floor. Again, what am I standing on? Or try to look at the walls or ceiling and get told they don't exist.

Plus anything mentioned in the room description should be able to be examined. It is especially bothersome if it mentions a person or animal in the room yet when you try to look at them you get told they aren't there.
parrotslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #37
Daedroth

Daedroth is on a distinguished road
Uhh? Ive never cared to look at the floor or ceilings of rooms before... Unless theres some sort of secret to be found there, its pretty much pointless to have the floors be considered an object in every room of the game. 0_o

Anyways, my pet peeves... For the most part I like muds that enforce rp. Where there is only ooc over private conversations/channels.

I also prefer non-automated combat. I like to have my character do what I want him to do in combat... Not just do the same slash over and over again, sometimes COMPL373LY EVISCERATING HIM DUDE!!!1 once in awhile...

I hate logging on to a mud and being forced to look away or be blinded by every word being bright.

I also dislike cliques... or muds that are made for only ten people to enjoy, and screw everyone else.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #38
Graeblyn

Graeblyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Graeblyn Send a message via MSN to Graeblyn
Graeblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #39
Legali

Legali is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Legali Send a message via MSN to Legali
I will leave a mud with IMMs that have characters on the mud that are oddly INSANELY stronger than everyone else, have so many more assets than everyone else somehow.. (I will not leave just because of suspicion of imm cheating though, I will have to see it first hand or have solid proof.)

I will leave\not play a mud if I get pked the moment I step somewhere.

I will leave\not play a mud that has no rp:P or VERY poor rp.

I will leave\not play a mud if it is not for ages sixteen and up, at least. heh

I will not play\leave a mud that has what I feel are completely unrealistic rules.

Ugh I could go on and on
Legali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #40
Almondine War

Almondine War is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Almondine War Send a message via Yahoo to Almondine War
When I log into a MUD, I'll usually log right back out if:

1. I see WAY too many colors. The point of color is to highly important items and to enhance an experience, not to cause someone to go into eptileptic shock.

2. I see WAY too much spam. If I can't enter a MUD without having to press the ENTER key 15 times, or I can't keep up with what's going on (Bobo and Jubjub keep 'goto'ing or recalling into my room, walking three spaces west, and recalling again, or that damn NPC feels the need to cast healing spells every 2 seconds), there's no point in sticking around. I'll get PK'd and won't realize it for the next 10 minutes.

3. I see that the channels are filled with bigotry and cursing. I don't want to be a real pansy or anything, but if you can't keep your channels under control to a certain acceptable level, you can't keep your MUD under control.

But the biggest reason that will drive me off a MUD, is when the staffing is terrible. I can make do with a small playerbase (its often homely), and bugs, and poor uptime. However, I will not tolerate when the immortals show their asses, make god-characters, or show favoritism that puts other MUDders to a disadvantage.
Almondine War is offline   Reply With Quote

Things that make you NOT play a MUD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you like doing "Things"? Amnon Advertising for Staff 2 07-08-2004 02:42 AM
Things people do for text?... Shao_Long MUD Humor 0 01-10-2004 05:26 PM
All good things must end... Brody Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 12-09-2003 09:49 AM
New things to do and see! jornel Advertising for Players 1 01-20-2003 02:11 PM
The odd things people on muds say Keljorian MUD Humor 2 07-10-2002 12:55 PM