Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 06-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
Frax

Frax is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I was just working on a character idea when I realized that many of the mu*s out there have fairly limited weapon selections. It seems like most focus almost entirely on the sword, dagger, mace system and add the others as an afterthought. So, please try to talk me out of this opinion. I’d love to believe that this community is as rational as it could be.

Anyway, this is turning into a rant so I'll stop now. Please don’t post any links to your mud here, as I’ve already seen it if it is in this list. However, if you do know where this perceived focus on a few weapons came from, I’d be fascinated to know.
Thanks,
Frax

Sorry to forget this earlier, but the poll is asking which is the best in reality.
Frax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
I chose sword, only because it is usually the best.

I think swords are almost always the best because there are always far more swords to buy or pick up off monsters in any MUD- try finding a cityguard with a whip, for example. Plus in all the popular RPG games, the main character always has a huge sword, and fantasy books such as Lord of the Rings with their magic swords project the image that teh swords r teh best. I like player forging systems because it allows just about any weapon to be the best.

What I would propose is a system where each weapon type could progressivly get naturally stronger yet less accurate and less attacks, for example-

In order of Highest power/lowest accuracy, to lowest power, most hits-
Polearms
Axes
Spears
Swords
Staffs
Daggers
Whips.

Just a rough idea.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:54 AM   #3
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Many...but not all...

Feudal Realms has the following weapons: axe, bastard sword, battle axe, bow, broadsword, club, crossbow, dagger, dart, dirk, flail, great axe, great mace, hammer, hand axe, horseman's flail, horseman's mace, khopesh, knife, lance, lochaber axe, long spear, long sword, mace, main gauche, maul, polearm, quarterstaff, rapier, sabre, scimitar, short sword, spear, stiletto, two-hand sword, and whip...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I would suggest that any mud which has a "best melee weapon" has a balance issue that needs to be addressed.  Each weapon should be designed with its own strengths and weaknesses - eg a shield should be an effective defensive weapon, but give poor offensive options, while a bastard sword should have the advantage of being usable in either one or two hands.  Whip and nets shouldn't cause much damage, but it should be possible to entangle your opponent with them.  And so on...

Of course it also depends on the theme.  A Star Wars mud might well have a very powerful lightsabre weapon - balanced against the fact that melee weapons aren't very good within that theme.

Re Terloch: You have "polearm" as a weapon? It also seems a bit strange to have battle axe, great axe, hand axe, lochaber axe - and then just "axe".
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
He's asking what's best IRL.

It depends, I would say. Are you fighting a battle, in ranks, or are you alone, against a single opponent?

In ranks, it's situational. A phalanx can cause terrible damage on a formation of horsemen with lances, but then again a flexible sword formation can shred a phalanx, as the Romans taught us.

One on one? Dunno, longsword probably, as it's maneuverable, you have alot of reach, and it's equally good on offense or defense.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Ah, missed that part (strange question though, when posting on a mud forum).

I'd say the answer is pretty much the same though - each weapon has its own strengths and weaknesses. There is no 'best' weapon (otherwise there would never have been much variation throughout history).

Yet it lacks the speed of a rapier, or the strength of a battle axe, or the reach of a spear.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #7
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I know, I plan on seperating out to a couple different types of polearms since they are very different, and the just plain "axe" category will be phased out...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Kenjar

Well, if each weapon has it's own strengths and weaknessess, one will end up being the best and most used, because it's strength will be helpful in more situations than other weapons, and it's weakness perhaps slightly less hindering.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #10
Kenjar

Ooh, especially if it's his own leg!

Bigman tears off your leg, ouch!
(####.)
Bigman wields Smallman's Leg in his right hand!
(What the...?)
Bigman CRUSHES you with your leg, causing total woundedness!
(...)

SKills-
Digging 20%
Fishing 14%
Swords 56%
Limb Wieldin' 100%
Old 06-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Not really (unless you badly mess up the game balance).
Old 06-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Jesters and Shamans in Achaea can blow people up, causing body parts to rain down a bit afterwards. You can eat the liver, use the intestines as a whip, etc. =)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't limbs be a little.... floppy... to use as a weapon?
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:48 PM   #14
Cierel

Cierel is on a distinguished road
Haven't you heard of rigor mortis? Freezing the limb will also help, though of course when the limb thaws it will then melt due to cell membrane rupture from the expanding frozen water.

Clearly, however, the ideal solution is to tie a pair of deflated lungs together and use them to garrote your foes. The irony is a killer even if the weapon isn't.

My, this has become rather macabre rather quickly!
Cierel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #15
KaVir
Legend

Well I never said they made good weapons...

The idea really is just that every object in the mud can potentially be used as a weapon (and by "object" I mean anything you can pick up - which includes small creatures).
Old 06-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #16
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Should also make all weapons eatable.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #17
KaVir
Legend

While I realise (or at least presume) that your comment was made in jest, I would still like to say that IMO whether or not something is edible should be defined by its material (and the race of the eater), not by the object itself.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #18
Alice

Alice is on a distinguished road
My home mud (accursed lands - and note, not trying to pull this off as an ad, just an example of game features) uses all items as weapons. Basically, there's not 'wield' command, to use an items as a weapon, you just hold it.
All of the items not flagged as weapons, use the brawling skill (an all purpose combat skill for any non-weapon).

In regards to the original topic, AL has many weapons, and skills to go with them. Though many of the lighter weapons may not be as offensive or as reliable as say, a sword, or an axe, they make this up in the speed in which you can use them.

Using this example, any non usual weapon can be created - there just needs to be a possible change in the coding of weapons. Adding weight to speed, offensive to hits, and dodge to defense in weapon stats will create a whole new world to combat...but only if you can keep it balanced.

A staff, for example, would have good parry, increase dodge slightly, but would be pointless offensively. An axe would have an increase in dodge, large increase in offensive, but be a very heavy weapon and not be as quickly to swing as say a dagger.

This post would be better off in the coding forum, and possibly no help at all, though to me the original question seems to be more of a coding question than an RP one. In any mud, as long as weapon stats are clearly defined and weight-speed is a factor in their creation, then any weapon is possible. Hope this has been of some help.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #19
KaVir
Legend

Old 06-24-2004, 11:11 PM   #20
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
This is the only system that makes sense to me. Where else would you carry your stuff? If in your backpack then put it in the backpack item.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote

Best melee weapon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lusternia: the Artisan Craft and New Weapon Specia Estarra Advertising for Players 0 07-17-2005 12:45 PM
can you make weapon web ppl? UnKnOwN1205 MUD Coding 3 07-06-2004 11:54 PM
Mob vs. Mob Melee Chapel MUD Builders and Areas 8 01-25-2003 12:34 PM
Popular Fiction Melee Ntanel Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 05-20-2002 03:18 AM
Favourite weapon Seth Tavern of the Blue Hand 22 04-25-2002 07:35 AM