Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 06-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
Holdan

Holdan is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know of a mud like this?

Preferably RP oriented if not enforced, with pvp allowed. I prefer something along the lines of Accursed Lands or Dartmud.
Holdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Ytrewtsu

Ytrewtsu is on a distinguished road

telnet: tharel.net port 5005

Its a Rom 2.4b6 based mud with over 7 years of changes. Roleplay is strongly encouraged, enforced if you join player killing. We would love to have you as a player. The website has a full list of features and a ton of background information.

Thanks,
Ytrewtsu
Ytrewtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Adventures Unlimited is an "Oriental/Samuri styling" MUD?  Last time I checked, it relied on stock fantasy elements like elves and stuff.  It's also not "RP oriented or enforced" as the poster requested.  Your post says "roleplay is strongly encouraged" and your website describes it as "roleplay encouraged (not required)".  "Encouraged" does not mean the same thing as "enforced" despite both starting with an E and N.  Even if there are situations where it is required, that's not what the guy asked for.

It'd be nice if someone could post a request and didn't get responses from MUDs that don't even meet two of three requirements they specified.  Honestly, if your own game doesn't meet the qualifications of someone's request, point them toward a MUD that does.  Be sincere. Don't just offer something in response that someone didn't ask about.  Would you like it if you went to a shoe store and wanted to buy a pair of men's size 10 tennis shoes and the clerk instead started suggesting a pair of women's size 6 sandals?  Probably not.

In response to the original poster, I don't think such a game exists.  I checked both TMS and TMC and didn't come up with anything that meets your requirements.  Sorry.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I'd counter that the question is a little too broad in its scope, and that might be adding to the problem. Does the OP want *automated* PvP, plus a focus on RP? Or does the OP want the option of fighting another player with the help of a referee, which is an option on quite a few games that have an RP focus?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Holdan

Holdan is on a distinguished road
I figured saying that a 'Dartmud' type mud would be explanation enough, but I guess not as many people know about dartmud as I had thought.

Dartmud has a world will full pvp, and permadeath. Players enforce the rules and the law of the land, not the imms. PvP is automated, but not without consequence. If you kill a player, you will answer to someone.

Is that more helpful?
Holdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
Sorry about this double post. It was made in error. Move on to the next one.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
BrettH

Unwritten Legends is roleplay required, and has an entire continent called Vash that is a combination of Chinese, (mostly) Japanese, and Indian cultures depending upon the region.

There are samurai, Daimyo, etc. and gaijin are heavily ostracized there.

PvP exists but must have a roleplayed basis for it, and the game has been around for about ten years.

Sound close enough?

---Brett
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Ytrewtsu

Ytrewtsu is on a distinguished road
Actually there is no need to flame Jason - I missed the ... part of the subject line and it was my mistake.  One thing I would say to you though, in my opinion your tone was pretty much wholly unnecessary.   Also I would argue that my mud is rp oriented.... and that being rp oriented is not necessarily enforced and that is what I replied to.  

My mistake.
Ytrewtsu
Ytrewtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
My apologies if my tone was irate.  My displeasure wasn't soley directed at you even if your's was what prompted a post regarding this (and I thank you for your honesty in admitting a mistake, I respect that as it's hard to come by).  All too often someone posts about a type of MUD and gets responses from MUDs which don't meet the person's specifications, those responding are more concentrated on hocking their MUD than they are helping the person find what they wanted in the first place.

Like Brody said, the original post was vague which could lead to confusion.  I just wish the MU* community was more organized and developed some commonly-accepted standards so confusion and disagreement over terms, be it "RP enforced" or "free to play" or what-have-you wouldn't occur.  There's plenty of opportunity given sites like TMS and TMC exist, but sadly those who are in a position to do so choose not to organize such an effort.  This lack of leadership in the community is a problem that I feel really hurts the overall nature of text-based gaming.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Clifton

Clifton is on a distinguished road
Check out abandoned realms. () It's roleplay enforced, dunno if you'll like that at all. it has a complex pk system, but also Player controlled, you have to run, track, etc.. Anyway, that system prides itself on brains over brawn.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I wouldn't say it's a lack of leadership, really. We've had leaders, or people who sought to lead, but we haven't always had a strong willingness in the community to *follow*. (It's why you see more people starting their own games rather than trying to fix their wagon to an existing game.)
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
Elora

Elora is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Elora
Hola!

So, judging by your two posts you are looking for an RP-enforced mud with perma-death, PK and if possible an oriental theme? Since you didn't mention the theme in your second post, I'm going to assume that it is secondary, compared to the other elements mentioned.

I can't off-hand think of a MUD that fits all of those requirements, but I think you should have a look at Armageddon - they are likely who comes closest to your requirements. I have it on good authority that the mud is addictive and incredibly intense, but I have unfortunately no personal experience with it.

I do know that it is a roleplay-enforced mud with unrestricted PK, perma-death and has a decent playerbase. ,    ginka.armageddon.org:4050

Another option is Harshlands. This is also a roleplay intensive mud with extensive PK and perma-death. muddled.harshlands.net:5555 ,
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
BrettH

I forgot to mention. Unwritten Legends will be introducing perma-death once it's out of the testing phase.

Which means it will, at that point, fill all of your listed requirements.

---Brett
Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #14
Luvan

Luvan is on a distinguished road
Unwritten Legends. Just as Brett said, it has an entire continent that you would love. It meets all of your requirements except permanent death, and that is just till it is out of testing. My characters where always more on the western continent, but from what I understand and learned from people that would travel over from vash is that becoming a samurai is difficult. It is a highly honored title. Not sure how that all works though.

(Also when I say continent, I do not mean some small little area, the place is huge)

I think it is very nice how you can have your oriental style character and if you ever want some adventure or just get bored with what you are doing over there, you can travel to the western continent and cities..and I dont know, mabe your character can experience culture shock? Hehe My characters traveled between the two alot.
Luvan is offline   Reply With Quote

looking for a well established mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
semi-established LP mud seeks new owner/s Shimmer Advertising for Staff 0 01-16-2003 10:01 AM
Established MUD seeks staff: AlazlamBL Advertising for Staff 2 09-21-2002 05:37 PM
Coder: Seeking Established Mud arlorn Advertising for Staff 0 09-17-2002 05:12 PM