Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Isles of Aedin - Right MUD for you?

I'm going to start off by saying that each of us has their perfect mud fit. Not every MUD out there is right for everyone. With that in mind I'm going to give some information on my newest mud addiction, I almost feel a tad guilty suggesting this game, because it has been so enjoyable for me that I have a hard time escaping its lure.

The game world is an original creation. The developers have done an extensive job creating diverse races and religions. Much history has been written and created for the game world, but the administration is very responsive to the player base and I feel as if we are part of the evolution of the game and world. There are 12 different playable races and 6 different playable religions.

Isles of Aedin is in open BETA. It is fully fleshed out, but the game is growing in features and players. This is an exciting time to start in the game as I feel we players have a greater role in the future of the game. (For those worried about end of BETA player wipes, I've read that no such thing is planned for the future.)

Isles of Aedin is one of those MUDs that seems designed to have a good balance between RP and intrigue and combat and exploration. I like the fact that if I am in the mood to get involved in roleplay I can seek it out (in multiple ways) or if I just feel like training up my character I can as well. What adds to the infectious quality of the MUD is that I find either activity equally as enjoyable on the game.

RP Environment:
The game is RP mandatory. What this equates to on Isles of Aedin is that everyone stays in character on the game. OOC (Out of Character) communication is allowed through whispers but is an infrequent occurrence. The player base has everything in the spectrum from excellent to mediocre roleplayers. The pace of RP is fast, if you are looking for a game with paragraph long emotes this is not the mud for you. One fairly unique thing about Isles of Aedin is that IC (in character) RP also happens on the . I find it interesting to be able to get a glimpse into the RP of different races, classes, and religions. I believe this also is good for those people who at times have access to the internet and want to get involved in the game, but can't actually log into the MUD. The administration has laid a good foundation for RP with the rich history already created. Through its design, I find the game to be enjoyably immersive.

Adventuring: For me, the way the game is designed makes for the most interesting exploring/combat/training that I have ever had on a MUD. Characters get better at their skills by performing them. Leveling is not XP based but skill used based. This seems like a more intuitive way to progress a character. If you want your character to become a better healer your spend more time healing. If you want them be a great swordsmen you spend more time training with their sword. On some games I've found combat to be tedious or way too complex but not on Isles of Aedin. There is a great balance between the practical aspects of combat and not making things so complicated that it is no longer fun. Some of the aspects of combat that make it more challenging are position in room, flight, reach, range, NPC immunities or vulnerabilities, character abilities, and stances. Part of what I really like about the game though is the variety of combat experiences I can chose based on what I want at a given time or what I want to train with my character. Depending on the area chosen and what the character wishes to train, the experience can be more challenging and complex or easy and relatively effortless.

Grouping: I feel that Isles of Aedin is equally as good as a solo game or with a group. The way the mechanics are designed, it is very possible to have a lower skilled character to group with a higher skilled one. I've been in parties that are composed of characters with a wide range of skills and the adventuring experience still seems to be enjoyable by all involved. Whether you like supporting a group through buffs or being a powerhouse both is equally possible and even possible with the same character depending on your mood. But if you like to be largely a solo player it still is very possible to progress just as quickly as those who like to group.

Classes: There are 10 different classes on the game. Some of the classes effectively have subclasses as well (with the way the player decides to build them) which adds greatly to the possibilities. The skills and abilites of your character are to an extent based on both the character class and race, but there are certain base abilities that most anyone can train as well. This allows for a range of diversity of complexity in characters. If find that the classes help provide some frame work, but each character is very individually customizable.

Administration and player base: This game has one of the most caring and active administrations I have seen on a MUD. The admins seem to really listen to their players and their suggestions (both IC and OOC) and are quick to implement or consider them. Since I've started a few weeks ago, I've seen a steady stream of weekly positive changes to the game. Administration has also put a lot of time into minor and more major story arcs for the game. The players on the game are generally friendly, welcoming, and dedicated (though the characters might not be so friendly as the RP dictates.) I've seen every where from 10 to 40 players online at once and this number keeps growing. This is an accurate count because only one character per player is logged on at a time and idle players are automatically logged out after 20 minutes. Honestly, what this game needs more than anything right now is more players and its design warrants it.

Cost: This game is 100% free. I mean 100% free. There are no hidden costs or later catches. It is not a pay to play or play for perks game. You can't beat that!

There is a lot more I can go into regarding the game, and I am happy to answer any questions someone may have. Writing this post I've begun to realize that one of the biggest strengths of Isles of Aedin is its flexibility in the areas of RP experience, combat, training, and character development. For me, it isn't a matter of whether I'm "in the mood" to play Isles of Aedin, the game design allows for a great variety of experiences to suit my changing desires.

If you are a new player that wants to check out the game I would suggest the following resources:
- basic character creation and new player information
- Race, Religion, Class, Archspire Areas for game history and feel
- For both a feel of IC interaction and OOC Help
- Player run site for more detailed information on game mechanics and character building
Helpme channel and help files - Don't forget these as resources in game if you get stuck

I hope to see you on the game!

Last edited by RP Kris : 03-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Turxx

Turxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Isles of Aedin - Right MUD for you?

you dont make it easy to just log on, put your host and port in your post
Turxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road

Thanks for mentioning it.

To play an account needs to be created . It is fairly painless process that only have to go through once. The account name shouldn't necessarily be a player name, but the nickname you want to use for yourself. Then you can log on to the game with that account here:

Server IP: game.islesofaedin.com
Port: 40001
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Saire

Saire is on a distinguished road

I just joined this MUD today and so far it is awesome! I am having a blast! I can tell I'm going to be addicted here. The templar class is so fun.. and i don't know its just fast paced, driving.. really fun to play this MUD! I've had some fun RP interactions already too. And awesome staffer help when I first arrived. This MUD so far has 4 of 5 stars from me but likely will have like 10 in the future! I want to try all the classes. I love the unique features of combat and every class sounds like it would be fun to me.. it was hard to pick!

Anyway, give one a shot, definetely!
Saire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard Saire. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Isle of Aedin. You'll find the staff and players to be very helpful if you have any questions about the game. If you have not already found this link through the official website, You can find additional information about the game here.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote