Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
Arrow

Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I would argue that the 'classic' muds are the ones that focus on gameplay. That's what muds used to be about, before the trend towards roleplaying and story-driven muds.

I think it's more to do with people designing the mud around the thing they hold to be the most important, which is almost invariably the thing they're best at. A good coder who creates their own mud will typically focus on interesting gameplay and original game mechanics. A good builder who creates their own mud will typically focus on a high-quality world and well designed theme. A good administrator will typically focus on imm-run events and a fostering a good atmosphere for the playerbase. Each of these skills are important, although the distribution of importance depends on the style of mud - however the muds that fail often seem to those run by people who don't really have any of those skills, or who are very badly lacking in one or more.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Ashon

Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
Perhaps, as I seem to be prone to, I used the wrong word to describe what I meant. I think the terminology, should be as you stated, "the current Trend" in Mudding is .... gameworld play.

I would almost disagree. I don't think that people focus when creating MUD's. I think that they try more to 'cover' the bases then they do trying to do what they are best at. It seems to me (with the caveat that I am trying to ignore the muds doomed to fail at conception) that many people try unsucessfully, try to do too much at the same time. They don't focus on the one aspect (Gameworld/Gameplay) they try to go full bore into both. Instead of making a defining decision on one aspect or the other.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Ashon wrote; April 25 2005,13,02
LOL... It may seem like KaVir and I are bickering most of the time, but actually we agree on a lot more things than you may think. I have the deepest respect for KaVir even when we disagree (which is quite often), and I hope that respect is mutual, at least to some extent.

And although I am flattered about having 4D bunched together with a roleplay focused Mud like Brody's Otherworld, I have to admit that roleplay in 4D is pretty rudimentary.

Dragonmaster is right in that we are focused a lot more on Gameplay than Roleplay. However I think that he is wrong in that we are more focused on Gameplay than Gameworld.  In fact most of our main features are based on exploring and questing, and the descriptions play a really large part in that. To us descriptions are not just 'creative writing', meant to conjure a vision of the virtual environment. We use the descs and extra descs actively, sometimes to tell a story, but mostly to give hints about concealed objects or key phrases that you need to solve the many built-in quests in the zones.

I honestly think it's mostly coincidence and a question of what staff you have available at the start that decides which way a Mud is going to develop.

For many years 4D lived with a pretty inactive coder, but a set of very active builders. This lead to a focus on the world rather than the code, but it also lead to us developing scripting abilities that I believe are quite a bit above the average. We have loads of interactive mobs that you not only can talk to, but which may also present you with some pretty nasty surprises in a combat situation. And those advanced scripts would probably never have been developed, if the coder hadn't been so tied up in RL.

During the last 1-2 years however we have gained an inventive, talented and active new coder, which means that the code is now being brought up to par with the zones, and hopefully a bit further. And this is probably what out game description on this site reflects right now.

I don't really believe in categorising muds, like Ashon does. The best results are usually achieved when coders and builders work very closely together, respecting and inspiring each other.

And I never was any fan of one-track themed muds, I like diversity. Roleplay is fine, but if there is nobody I like to roleplay with on line, I want the option to explore or even bashing a few mobs instead. That's what I've got mostly against Mushes and pure RP enforced muds, there don't seem to be much to do, if you tire of the roleplay. And the same thing goes for pure PK. I like to have as many alternatives as possible.

In fact I think a good mud should present several  options to entertain a player, even if he happens to be the only person on line at the moment.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
Ashon

Hrm. I seem to be lacking the cognitive ability to communicate my thoughts properly. For this I apologize.

Quote Dragon master:
Cool Skills, and Cool abilities, new races, new classes, are not what I would term gameplay additions. They are Gameworld, themed additions to the game. They usually do not extend the gameplay beyond any other derivative MUD. I seem to have made a bigger deal about the detail in gameworld focused muds, then I probably should have. Perhaps, I should have said something along the lines of:

In a MUD where the gameworld interaction is more paramount, the code focuses on providing more intriguing Gameworld content.

In a MUD where Game where gameplay is more important, the code focuses on providing a more detailed interaction with game elements.

Quote Molly:
I hadn't considered this option. Interesting insight.

I agree. The couple of times I tried to work with other people on their MUD's, well the lot of times that I did, I didn't get the respect for my thoughts on the process of developing the code to meet the needs of the game. And so my interest in the project lapsed.
I agree again, that there should be many avenues of progress or entertainment in a game to make it successful, and even fun to play.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Hrm, I think its difficult to define it as clearly as that - skills, abilities, races and classes are often the means used to extend the gameplay. Archery skills and elven lore to utilise your ranged combat system, darkvision and lycanthrope senses to take advantage of your line-of-sight code, magic-using classes and associated skills as the means to access your original magic system, and so on.

I suppose you could argue that in such cases the skills, races, etc are simply the interfaces through which you access the gameplay, but if you do that it raises the question of what exactly a 'class' or 'race' is.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Ashon

I think that might be what I'm trying to get at. Are Races and classes simply being developed for the purpose of the gameworld? Simple change of features, walking messages, available skills, added or subtracted stats or are they more unique then that? Does being a Dwarf give the character an ability that actually makes them a dwarf?

I want to draw a parallel between MUDs and Tabletops on this subject, but I'm not sure if it is completely justifiable. Take for instance D&D. The difference between playing a Human and an Elf, are a couple of changes in stats, higher dex, lower con (If I recall), and the ability to sense hidden doors and being more immune to charm spells. The differences here are more superficial. And that's the reason that they balance so well against each other. This would be in my evaluation A gameworld focused change.

The Difference however between a Human and say a Shapeshifter, is much different. All of a sudden a whole new aspect of Gameplay is opened up to the player. The change isn't superficial.

It's the difference between playing a fighter and a mage. The gameplay between the two is drastically different. But the gameplay between a Mage and Cleric, or a Fighter and a Monk are not much different. They are gameworld changes.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
As a designer...

Well, the first thing we mentioned is that we bothered to have 200 full-sized areas written for us.  (I believe when you add in religious shrines, cabals, and other smaller areas, we're closer to 300.)  When a roleplay-mandatory MUD puts that up front, it's a good bet storyline is pretty important.  Please don't (mis)characterize us otherwise.

In a short blurb like that, we focus on easily quantified or classified items, because we want to get information across concisely.  Free.  No stock.  RP required.  PK.  Etc.  The format of the text you chose to quote forces this on the designer.  Saying we don't care about our gameworld because we don't mention room descriptions is arbitrary and meaningless.

In contrast, in our ads (like one) give us a lot more room to play with, and we make an effort to show things holistically, as in "We have thieves, and they have all these features and code support, and there's all these factions and guilds, and we support a range of roles, and...".
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
I think you misunderstood me. I am in no way saying Carrion Fields has a small emphasis on the gameworld. I know it has a pretty large one. But, correct me if I'm wrong, it also tries to provide very strong gameplay with interesting PK situations, tactics for winning and stuff like that. I was saying that muds in general tend to focus more on gameplay then game world, using Carrion Fields as an example, showing that even in an RP mandatory game like CF, a very heavy emphasis on gameplay can be seen. I am in no way trying to say CF didn't put much detail into their gameworld, but rather trying to show that even RP muds (which are probably considered to be more strong in "gameworld" and lacking in "gameplay") can have a large focus on gameplay.

If the posters statement was true and gameworld was more often the focus than gameplay, you'd expect that in an RP mud like CF, there would be practically no focus on gameplay at all, which I was attempting to point out was obviously not the case. Therefore the original posters statement couldn't be true. From what I have seen of Carrion Fields, it looks like a very well created game and I did not mean to insult or downplay it's gameworld.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Why is it that every single discussion about MUDs always seems to turn into two developers bickering with each other? In any manner, I think that a gameworld and gameplay must coexist in order to greatly enhance the experience. But if pressed to pick one, I would invariably go with gameworld.
I enjoy a deep story and variety in races which lend a sort of life to the MUD. These things make a story, when I play a MUD I want to make a story. I want my little puppet to act out things that I would want to do. But that is where the gameplay comes in. How can I have my puppet act out a play with no stage directions?
That is why gameplay and gameworld must exist hand in hand. I do not wish to be hacking away at goblins for no reason, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy hacking away at goblins. I want, maybe, the goblin to be my archenemy who I have been fighting with because he killed my brother, or because he stole my magical shield. This way I enjoy myself and feel useful all at the same time.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
Singer

Singer is on a distinguished road
I think its clearly shown if the MUD chooses to advertise with:

"Over X races, and Y rooms, and.."

Or "An in-depth immersion into the world of X where the.."
Singer is offline   Reply With Quote

Gameplay vs. Gameworld - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indepth D&D Influenced Rom Gameplay Viwrathe Advertising for Players 1 01-10-2007 10:01 AM
Time of Troubles - D&D Influenced Gameplay Viwrathe Advertising for Players 0 09-17-2006 03:45 AM
Time of Troubles - Indepth D&D Gameplay Viwrathe Advertising for Players 1 01-30-2006 03:12 AM
Time of Troubles - Indepth D&D Gameplay Viwrathe Advertising for Players 0 12-06-2005 07:24 AM
Realism and Gameplay Taniquetil MUD Administration 18 03-02-2003 03:08 PM