Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Inferno? Still around?

I am back into MUDing and I remember this game as one of my firsts. I remember it coming back, but I was too busy to really get back into it. But where did it go?

The game has really great RP and crafting, which I loved. Is it around anywhere? Or is there anything like it?

Basically, a game that I can get into and start RPing. Weekly (or close to it) RP Events, gods to worship, deep racial RP with quirks. I interesting magic learning system.

Those were the things I liked. I've played Armageddon and loved it, but sometimes I'm not up to the harshness of it. If I could get a high fantasy and slightly less harsh Arm, I would be in heaven!

Oh yea, player housing, too. I have no idea, but I love MUDs that have player housing.

Last edited by Realedazed : 04-13-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Almost forgot about my favorite feature.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road
Re: Inferno? Still around?

Although I don't know if that MUD is still around (Inferno), Dark Isles sounds quite similar. For more info, feel free to visit here

Or...

dark-isles.net

It meets all the criteria aside from weekly run events. Though they are often (probably monthly, I'd say), there are not enough staff or players to assure weekly events as of this time.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Could check out this thread:

I miss Inferno. Great role-play, good crafting, wonderful spell system and timed, non-auto combat.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Realedazed

Hey that's awesome. Thanks for the link.

I wish I knew more about coding, but I'm still in the learning stages. I wouldn't love to work on a really good MUD.

But the crafting was so detailed, much like the combat. For example, if you were to forge a dagger: light the forge weigh the metal, cut the shape, heat it, hammer it, drill it, and a bunch more that I can't even remember. You actually had to pay attention to what you were doing, or you would miss something. Like for newbie smiths, you could only work the metal when it was a certain temperature (or color) and the better you were at doing that, the better the outcome.

Aw man, now I really can't wait for the new game.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

I loved the gameworld of Inferno, the history and background, the smooth code, depth of room descriptions, etc.

What I didn't like was the crafting or the combat or the levelling parts. I didn't like how easy and attractive it was for min-maxers to write scripts and park their characters in a spot to "bot" for hours while their players were out at the supermarket or the bar or at work. I didn't like that people would -want- to do that, because it was clearly obvious that there were only two ways to obtain power: gain coded advantages through skill-grinding, or gain knowledge or help or "favor" from staffers either directly or through roleplay with the staffer's avatars.

Crafting was drudgery to the extreme. I played a tanner... I can't even remember the syntax but it'd look something like this:

scrape hide with soft
(roundtime 37 seconds)
scrape hide with soft
(roundtime 37 seconds)
scrape hide with soft
(roundtime 37 seconds)

rinse and repeat until that ONE hide is done. Then move to the next hide and do it again. Figure around a half hour real-time to scrape a dozen hides.

THEN

put each hide in the first barrel, a tanning vat containing noxious poison.

THEN

find something to do, or log out, for around 3 RL hours.

THEN

Make sure you actually log back in 3 hours later because if you don't get those hides out of the barrel in time, you'll ruin them and have to start all over again. Or - someone else might get to them first, because it's a public tannery and anyone can/will take anything not nailed down if it's something useful. If you take them out too early, the poison in the vat will kill you. AND ruin the hides.

THEN

scrape each hide again for a half hour.

THEN

Put them in the second vat, a pickling barrel, with more noxious fumes or whatever.

THEN

find something to do, or log out, for another 3 RL hours.

THEN

get to those hides in time, and put them in the finishing barrel for 6 hours.

THEN...take them out in time and they're ready to be turned into something other than..tanned hides. Except, if you're just starting out, that's pretty much all you can do with them. So now you have to sell them. And that's it. That's the whole of your character's existence, so far as "work" is concerned. His job is to sit in a tannery for around 12 RL hours, and your job is to type "scrape hide with soft" every 37 seconds. Usually by yourself but if you're lucky, someone who hunts for a living will stop by to say hello on his way to selling all the sparklies he got from grumgarts.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Realedazed

Yea, I stayed away from tanning for that reason. I thought it was odd that you had to do all of that. I didn't like that it took forever to light the freaking forge to start smithing, either. So, I had a script for that.

But, I was also one of those folks who used a script for crafting, too. But, I did so within the rules. I was a newbie so I didn't get to deep into my craft, so I mainly did small things like daggers, which don't take more than 20 hammers, I guess. But I would also always drag someone into the shop with me to chat and RP with while I worked. So I never really noticed the crafting time and roundtimes.