Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #41
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road
Re: List of RPI MUDs

Moving through older threads, and just thought I'd come back to touch on this, and frankly, plug in . There have been many iterations of the Inquisition theme, most with different head admin(s). I can't cater specifically to what was said, or which game it was said about. However, TI: Legacy meets perhaps every element of being an RPI aside from a lack of public channels.

To the OP: Games like Dark Isles, the Inquisition, and others are a great variation on more hardcore RPIs like Armageddon and SoI, the main disparities being their stance on OOC communication, spontaneous PK, and emote length/courtesy. It's a great way to look at some of the compromises that have been taken between genres within the genre.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #42
englishlad

englishlad is on a distinguished road

Nice thread with lots of info!

I've recently got back into Mudding after a few years break - and feel that I'd like to give RPI a proper go. A few years ago I played at SoI for awhile - and enjoyed it - but at the time I was still heavily involved in a more grind > achievement focused MUD - and I don't think I gave SoI a proper chance, due to the responsibilities I had on my 'main' mud.

I noticed that SoI went offline - I played back when Traithe was still running it - and While I've dabbled around the edges of the new SoI I haven't heard good things. I'll probably continue to try it out, and maybe it will surprise me - but I was wondering what other options there are for Fantasy orientated RPI players. Most of the Genre seems to be focused around post-apoc / Desert Themes, and while I'm sure that's fun - it wasn't really what I had in mind.
englishlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #43
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

If you are set on a game that is the main basis for the "RPI" tag which is: character Permadeath, No ooc channels or conversation (except in forums), variant coded emote strings, and limits to levels for character, then I would probably stay with SOI. As you said, there are few of these types of games that are in the fantasy medieval genre.

However,

If you are just looking for solid intense roleplay and you haven't tried other enforced roleplay games you might find one that meets exactly what you want. If this is the case I would try New Worlds Ateraan as we have both Permadeath and Resurrection death as well as many features that make the social, political, adventure, and roleplay arena much more engaging.

You might also try Threshold which has a roleplay intensity all its own.

Welcome Back too!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #44
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Shadows of Isildur as it once was, no longer exists. It has a new staff, the game world was scrapped and the new world is in the process of being built. It's in alpha, which means roll-out and bug-testing. It's understaffed, and if you play, you'll be playing as an alpha-tester. If I were looking for an *immersive* world, and was expecting a finished (or mostly finished) game with robust, unbuggy code, so that I could focus my attention on roleplay along with others who do the same, I wouldn't be picking SoI at the current time.

However, if I wanted to get in on the ground floor of a new incarnation of SoI and be an integral member of the creation team from a player perspective, I'd check them out first, before anywhere else.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

For what it's worth, Tiamat and I are working on a project that we think the RPI Community will find quite interesting:

It's an RPI/Rogue-like Hybrid, completely modular, designed for players to create long-term permadeath campaigns of 1-4 players in an immersive world that is different with each incarnation.

It features crafting, permanent death, all of the roleplaying tools that we designed for Atonement RPI, but we're building it from the ground up (a brand new RPI Engine) so that we can allow for both hobbyist and professional licensing of the engine for folks interesting in creating their own RPI.

Combat is turn-based and strategic with a matrix-based combat system (think, a MUCH more complex version of Rock-Paper-Scissors), and we've replaced stats/skills with "Traits". For instance, instead of rolling stats, character generation gives you Trait Points, and you buy Traits (ex: "Brute Strength") that have various affects in and out of combat. You can also purchase negative Traits that give you more Trait Points (ex: "Chronic Illness", "One-Eyed", "Clumsiness", etc).

Therefor combat is exciting and strategic, and building your character requires choosing roleplayable Traits for them, instead of merely gaming whatever hidden systems exist in most RPIs. This also means that there is no grinding skills - at all. The focus of the game is on exploration, combat, and roleplay, all of which are only hampered or bolstered by your personal skill in those areas.

The gameworld itself is basically survival/wilderness/fantasy based with a large number of massive, random and highly varying dungeons with modular lore, stories, goals, enemies, dynamic events, puzzles, and (of course) loot, where you are forced to make difficult moral decisions that will impact the dynamic events to come, and (ultimately) how your campaign's story ends. This is all for the sake of replayability and immersion.

In addition to the campaign setting, we feel the combat system is strong enough to allow for a "for fun/for competition" arena mode separate from the rest of the game.

I certainly wouldn't call this project an RPI. With Atonement, my goal was to create an RPI that wouldn't flounder as many inevitably do. I wanted to create a game with a distinct beginning, middle, and end, where the story was a result of the player characters' actions. It was a unique project, which appealed to me, and it was an amazing three year experience for many people - even if it wasn't for everyone.

And while I wouldn't call this current project an RPI, I think that our ability to design it to feel like an RPI, with all of the tools (and more, since we're designing it from the ground up) of an RPI, will make it a lot of fun for folks in the community who want to get a couple of Hardcore Roleplaying friends together to create their own RPI-like story in a challenging, dynamic world.

And that's all the tease you'll get out of me about it, until we're ready for Open Testing.

Until then, ARM and SOI and EOE are probably the most RPI-like options available. Haven, New Worlds, Carrion Fields, and Threshold RPG are options if you feel like exploring something a little beyond the boundaries of a normal RPI, but still with a focus on meshing coded action and a dedication to roleplay.

Best of luck to all. My ghost is still around here, as always.

Last edited by DonathinFrye : 12-14-2014 at 02:09 PM.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #46
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jazuela.

I hadn't been there in awhile and had no idea about the changes to SOI.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote