Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Ashrabia

Ashrabia is on a distinguished road
Akanbar!

Akanbar is a MUD that has benefited from a strong loyal player base. With an epic struggle between Good and Evil, Akanbar pushes every player to fill a substantial role in its developing story. Whether you choose to aid by mining precious ores from the depths of the earth or take sword and shield and slay your enemies; your efforts have the potential to turn the tides of the war. Not wishing to be directly involved in such a struggle? Find your home in the forests of Ysallyra and become one with the Shadows. Though their purpose is largely unknown to the rest of Akanbar, their secretive society has been known to take sides cause mischief in all parts of the realm.

These lands are constantly under development and are growing. Recently, Seawarfare has been added which has caused interesting problems for the naval adventurers. Entire harbors have the potential for destruction leaving Cities without access to trade with their most loyal of allies. Mysteries yet un-descovered by even the most seasoned veterans tempt the curiousities of the entire world.

Might you find yourself the first to discover the Kraken? Or, is it just a myth from sailors who have spent too much time on open waters?

The cities of Akanbar vary in their ideals, beliefs, and values; all of which serving their own purpose which creates a unique conflict for every citizen of these cities. Elysium's proud Templars serve as beckons of hope against the demons of Golgonath which would hold dominion over the land. The Forsaken of Golgonath have been known to attack the mind until it is weak enough to obey their will. Deep within the Shadows, the Assassins guild has been known to kill with stealth; whether it be food lightly seasoned with varying toxins or a swift stab in the back, you likely won't realize you have met an Assassin until it is too late.

Akanbar is a very welcoming land to the avid explore. New adventureres are encouraged to explore on their own, though help is offered for any seeking it. I encourage any that may be interested to take a long visit, may you find yourself a home within the conflicts of Akanbar.
Ashrabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Ashrabia

Ashrabia is on a distinguished road
Re: Akanbar!

Gnomes have found their way to Akanbar! With the aid of a mysterious cartographer, adventurerors were set to discover a place never seen before by mortal eyes. The village of Nisse is thus found! Containing many shops of both unique and magical properties, Nisse is bound to be a destination for both new and old adventurers alike.

By the grace of this cartographer, certain areas have been mapped out and can be procurred at taverns, commodity centers, and various other locations as well. A great addition for those who are not well experienced in the land of Akanbar.

Please join me as we explore this new village and discover the mysteries of the Gnome village of Nisse!
Ashrabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
David17

David17 is on a distinguished road

A lot of new concepts and bashing areas have just been added.

A new client is also on it's way.

This is really just to bump this thread to get all those looking for a good home out to try Akanbar. I will submit a lengthy review here soon.
David17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
David17

David17 is on a distinguished road

Akanbar is a fantastic mud for the adventurer. I have been a dedicated player for roughly 4-5 years and have been part of many ups and downs as a player. I came to Akanbar from a relatively dead smaller mud, and adapted fast to the environment that Akanbar offers. From helpful older players, to the guides that offer help....each played a part in my ability to stick with the mud. I had been searching long and hard for a mud for a few years, and for Akanbar to become my "home" away from home it was instantly a winner to me as a player.

There are numerous guilds for people that have different interests.....three cities each having three fighting guilds per.

Golgonath
Forsaken-Black Legion-Pryomancers

Elysium
Templars- Runesmiths- Storm Wardens

Ysallyra
Assassins- Shadow Warriors- Shaman

Along with each city having a merchant class with the ability to take two trades up.

Each of the guilds have specific traits that they offer Akanbar, and are generally well balanced from a fighter perception outside of a few guilds being a bit more useful in different situations.

Over the years, Akanbar has taken on a lot of changes....some for the good.....some for the bad. It has lost old players, and gained new, but lately it has been somewhat lost to new players and that is a shame. Akanbar is a great home for those looking for a smaller place that a player can gain skills by leveling and by just being around.

Stop by and visit for more than a day......Akanbar has a lot to offer and a lot that has yet to be even discovered.
David17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Pyrok

Pyrok is on a distinguished road

I would like to interject here, and state that if the three realms do not appeal to you for whatever reason, be it not wishing to align to a specific ethical tenet ALL the time (who wants to be a good guy ALL the time, honestly!) There is a fourth option. It's not exactly advertised, but it can be chosen fairly easily and that choice is: D) None of the above.

Yes, you can choose to be a realmless, homeless vagabond in the wide cold world of Akanbar and pick your own rules, your own code to live by and die by.
I myself have been rogue for some time now, granted it is an EXTREMELY difficult existance. I constantly face such issues as:
- Starvation. I'm ALWAYS hungry.
- Inclement weather. Sometimes I don't have the proper clothes to endure the weather. I freeze every winter.
- Animal attacks. Everyone faces this but I tend to see more of it. I don't have the great big walls others do.
- Lack of trainers for my skills.
- Loneliness. Being 'Rogue' you tend to be shunned from some of the more popular group settings.

That being said, I will say that it is HIGHLY recommended that you join a realm. This comes from one of the admins themselves. Being a rogue is about as close to 'Hardcore' mode as you can get in Akanbar. You will be alone. You will be occasionally naked, starving, poor and shivering in a stable eating carrots and pawning off your prized possessions just for a little warmth.
But if you feel like risking everything short of perma-death (which is occasionally hinted that it would come, but only when the admins are in a particularly trollish mood.)

On another note, to continue the trend of listing some of the new things in Akanbar, while they may not be new to you, and perhaps in your mind considered to be standard MUD fare, please understand that Akanbar is not some cookie cutter MUD. The admins here strive VERY hard to be different, sometimes in the face of a frustrated playerbase. This is not to say that the admins do not listen to the players, quite the contrary, they try to fit in our ideas with the game and sometimes our ideas are so ridiculous. There is a standard that is being maintained, and a vision that is being pursued.

'Nuff rambling. NEW THINGS!

- Lottery house! This was added mere hours before this post! Come, bet your life savings, win someone else's life savings!

- Feats! Now you'll know if Gulstaff the Powerful is really as powerful as he says, or if he's just Gulstaff the Liar.
Boast without fear about your own feats!

- Item Customization! Spend hard gold, or if you're particularly impatient and want to support the game,
buy some power crystals and make your boring leather pants really snazzy with a dragon hide trim! Or whatever you feel like adding, within reason.

- Fishing! It's simple, and some people's fascination with it baffles the admins but it's there! Try to catch the biggest fish you can in the sea! It's quite the feat!

- Witness a mortal achieve apotheosis! That's right, perform well enough in the Ascension Trials, the most glorious and rarest of events, and become a GOD!

AND THIS IS JUST THE STUFF I KNOW ABOUT!! There's oodles more to discover, and more rumored to come!

Use the shiny new Java client coded up by one of the resident admins!

or for those with your own client:
akanbar.com
port: 23

Last edited by Pyrok : 02-19-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Sending Link!
Pyrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
nakarym

nakarym is on a distinguished road

In the recent past, following the smaller additions mentioned in the previous post, Akanbar has officially unveiled two of three planned guilds, the final of which will bring us to fifteen player-maintained subfactions.

Our guilds are as follows:

The Empire of Golgonath (Lawful Evil faction)
Forsaken
Pyromancers
Black Legion
Demonologists (new)
Crafters

The Republic of Elysium (Lawful Good faction)
Runesmiths
Storm Wardens
Templars
Monks (new)
Merchants

The Forest-City of Ysallyra (Neutral faction)
Assassins
Shamans
Shadow Warriors
Traders
????????? (new)

More information on our guilds can be found , pending additions of the newest set. In addition to polishing up the third release, our staff are juggling a number of other projects, be they new areas, quests or lore-based introductions, along with progression of the world plot arc that has been going on since February 2012.

Activity can be slow at times, but we're proud to note that our playerbase lately is more steady than past months, and are always eager to see new faces!

Last edited by nakarym : 09-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
nakarym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
nakarym

nakarym is on a distinguished road

Whoa, completely forgot about this thread! In addition to the long-ago release of our fifteenth guild, the illusionist-mage-style Conjurers of Ysallyra, we have a pretty big announcement aside (and it's recent, unlike the first blurb!)

Our coders have been hard at work lately, overhauling not only our , but our own native client - now in beautiful, sparkling html5! It boasts a number of resources aimed at not only pampering those new to MUDs in general, but so too our seasoned players thanks to its stability and server-side retaining.

Of course despite the rigorous testing its undergone by both players and admin alike, there are likely to be little upsets along the way. For this reason we're welcoming any with interest to test the waters and see how well it holds up to your expectations. A thorough guide to using the client is available on the website, and feedback is much appreciated on our forums.

Check it out, stay a while!
nakarym is offline   Reply With Quote