Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Lorana

Name: Joanna
Home MUD: End of Time
Lorana is on a distinguished road
Question Age of the Throne

Any former AoTT players out there? It was the first MUD in which I invested time, I'd love to chat with some of the players!
Lorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Freela

Freela is on a distinguished road
Re: Age of the Throne

Hi Lorana
Yes I used to play Age of the Throne. I enjoyed it very much. Since it was a pay to play mud, it avoided something I really dislike which is "donations" which buy the richer players outstanding gear which regular players cant afford. AOTT was a level playing field in that sense, which made it very interesting to develop your skills and your relationships on the mud. It had excellent role-play as well. Some very interesting features not found elsewhere like socializing and toadying earned you "social" points which could be very beneficial.
Unfortunately the Admins were blatant cheaters who regularly helped their favourites or hindered people their favourites didn't like. Which is why I quit.
Freela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
aktillum

aktillum is on a distinguished road

I used to play AotT quite a bit back around '99 - '00, before Zadig (a player there) introduced me to Achaea. It did have some nifty features and the codebase was built entirely from scratch. Sadly though, it was pay-to-play and 15 - 20 players was considered "peak". Great introduction to MUDs for me though, miss it sometimes!
aktillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Bartholomew

Bartholomew is on a distinguished road

Oh man, this game brings back so many memories. I was sad to see that it eventually went defunct. This was the first Mud I ever played. *name of char above*. Hope you all are doing well if I played with you!
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Avruch

Avruch is on a distinguished road

I played from late 99 to... 2005 or 2007 I think? My character name was Cirinos. I think last time I logged in, the account had something like 3600 hours on it. Looking back, I liked a lot of things about AOTT and I still keep in touch with some of the players... But the game and the community were deeply dysfunctional and on a downward trend the entire time I played. Corrupted ahead of its time by the switch to pay to play, I think.
Avruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Freela

I played AOTT for a while and I actually LIKED the fact that it was pay-to-play because it made for a level playing field, gear wise. People could just go out and buy godlike gear. Everyone had more or less the same chance at the same gear. This made the game much better imo, particularly when it came to Player-vs-player contests.

The game was deeply role-play , and coded to reward role-play in many creative and interesting ways.

Unfortunately I have to agree with another poster who said admin was deeply dysfunctional. They were. Which Is why I reluctantly quit playing. But they had real life infor on the paying members and it got kinda scary at some point.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Freela

I meant people could NOT just go out and buy godlike gear.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Freela

I totally agree with you Lorena. I wish there were more simple pay-to-play muds, with NO "donation" gear.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Avruch

Avruch is on a distinguished road

Hi Freela! I remember you. I think the problem with the pay-to-play was that it cut the player pop by like 2/3rds. And then not long after, it became pay-to-win - you could by discipline points that made it possible to train to the top of the skill pyramid, instead of the long and slow grinding process many of us had gone through. That caused another drop in the playerbase and also elevated some people in the game who did nothing more than charge up a credit card.

But the worst part was definitely the first absentee and then sadistic and twisted corps of administrators, as well as the equally twisted senior hangers-on for whom the game was more about social machinations than anything else.
Avruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Annalisa

Annalisa is on a distinguished road

This has brought back some memories!

I played AOTT for about 5 years back in the day, almost until the end but finally left after I seemed to become disliked by a member of staff and so refused to pay any more money just to be b!tched abot.

Be good to catch up with others who use to play there!
Annalisa is offline   Reply With Quote