Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Exclamation Delerak's MUD Vlogs

TMS,

It's been a while since I posted here but I thought I should go ahead with this thread for my youtube channel where I discuss a variety of topics in MUDs. Coming from an RPI background I focus a lot of my topics on Armageddon MUD where I spent many of my days pecking away at the keys (until I got good enough not to peck).

My channel isn't just for MUDs though as an exercise enthusiast I post other stuff up on there from time to time but it's easy to find my vlogs as there is a Playlist dedicated only to my MUD vlogs. Take the rest of my channel with a grain of salt as I am a pretty silly guy. I do tend to curse like a sailor at times so I apologize in advance for my vulgarity!

Here's the link:

Remember that I have multiple playlists. There is one for exercise only called Deleraks Domain and the other is called My Vlogs.

Thanks guys! Post your feedback to this thread. Any video requests can also just go in this thread. Some ideas I already have in the works for future vids are me doing introductions to certain muds that have a really high learning curve; ie: God Wars 2. Is KaVir still around? I hope so! Love that guy.

-D
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
ww_crimson

Home MUD: Aarchon
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road
Re: Delerak's MUD Vlogs

Delerak,

Thanks for sharing.. Don't care to comment much on Youtube so I'll join your discussion here. I think your vlog on staff avatars raises many valid points, but it only targets one niche of the MUD genre, which is RPI. "Immortals" playing "mortals" has a bit more merit in MUDs where changes/content additions benefit all players equally. Anyway, wanted to write a bit more but a bit burned out this evening. Looking forward to more of these and I hope that you relate your personal stories / armageddon to other MUDs.
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

I appreciate the feedback. I would prefer comments here anyway as well, as youtube comments are a bit difficult to keep track of and this is a much easier format.

I will definitely be doing more videos in the future I just need to figure out where I want to go with it. So far my vlogs are me rambling about my thoughts and trying to make my points as best I can. But I really want to do some videos that apply to the general overall mud community which I plan to do with some MUD introduction/chargen vids for MUDs that I really have enjoyed over the years.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

I enjoyed your last one, but that was pre-GUI. If you did another, you could use the MUSHclient plugins, and perhaps include sound as well

Actually if you're looking for ideas, a vblog would be a pretty good medium for giving overviews of different muds which offer custom interfaces.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Delerak

Kavir! It's good to see you still active in the community my friend. I didn't know you made Mushclient plugins. I will have to download it and give it a look.

I logged into GW2 last night and fiddled around to make sure I didn't look like a complete idiot during my vid. I will definitely do the mush client if it's more intuitive since I used to just make buttons for all the commands in zmud.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Delerak

Episode 3 is up guys. God Wars 2 is the topic and I basically just load up mushclient and have fun with it.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Lorana

Name: Joanna
Home MUD: End of Time
Lorana is on a distinguished road

Dude, totally awesome idea. Love it. Technically haven't -watched- the videos, but I will eventually.
Lorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Delerak

So I had this idea today to do videos called "First Looks"

The idea behind it is I login to a random mud (or at a muds request) with my camera rolling I go thru the character generation process and start playing for 10-15 minutes. The first look could then be looked at later by the programmers/builders of the mud to see how a fresh player views their mud from a players perspective.

What do you guys think? Am I off base here or would this be a good idea that the mud community might be able to take advantage of?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Lorana

Name: Joanna
Home MUD: End of Time
Lorana is on a distinguished road

Sounds good to me
Lorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road

I would love to see a 'first look' section! I'd like to see more concepts like this come around in general, with different medias used to advertise MUDs and get them out there. I think it's a great way get our small community to branch out into different MUDs and even introduce others to our text based fantasy worlds!
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
ww_crimson

This is a great idea IMO. I've asked players before to log in and provide feedback.. any and all is useful.

-Astark
: 7000
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Delerak

Ask and ye shall receive. Aarchon Mud first look

Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Delerak

Also this vid went way longer than I anticipated but it was too fun! Really brought a lot of nostalgia back during my pk mud days.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
ww_crimson

Delerak,

I'd like to thank you for taking so much time to do this first look video. You gave me quite a bit of insight into some things that can be improved upon in the newbie zone, and for new users in general. One example is that the "kick" skill can be used by any player at any level, regardless of their skill %. This would have sped up your leveling/combat at lower levels quite a bit.

This "service" you offer is something that I think every MUD will benefit from and I hope that you find more MUDs who are interested in something like this. I'll probably end up watching your video a few more times and decide on the best way to implement a few other changes before moving forward, but I've already fixed the "practice" peeve you came across. It will be on the main port in the next 24 hours.. Change shown here :

You also came across a bug in the Disney area with Goofy's Hovercraft being worn on the "hold" location. A little surprised that it's never been reported before given that it's one of our oldest zones!

The only thing I'd like to mention here is that Aarchon isn't exactly a PK MUD. While many (most) of the hero characters enjoy PK we don't have a lot of action going on at lower levels.

Some feedback that I have for you, is that doing a slightly longer summary the end of your video would be extremely helpful for the MUD admins and players contemplating joining the MUD. I think you mentioned enough during the video for me to keep busy, but thought this might help you with your vlog format. I'll see if I can come up with any response/feedback for you after I watch the video a couple more times, and in the mean time I'll link your YouTube Channel on our facebook page and website.

Thanks again,
Astark
: 7000
Old 12-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Delerak

Hey there Astark,

Thanks for responding so quickly to my vid! It was a pleasure to login and check out your game man. It has a LOT of features and if I had more time I actually could see myself playing there for fun. But as I said this was more of a 'first look' type thing and I spent around an hour or so on there which is a lot for me right now during my final week of college.

- About the PK MUD thing. In hindsight I should have said 'hack n slash'. Which to me is quite the same as PK mud. The way the games are setup with lots of skills, plenty of zones for power leveling and getting gear. It's old school. For me personally the only incentive to play these are to eventually get into player vs player combat. While I thoroughly enjoy roleplaying it takes kind of a backseat in this case and with this kind of system as the system isn't necessarily designed around roleplay as much as it is designed around: Go here. Kill this. Loot that. Rinse and repeat. It's a super fun model that works very well.

- Finding bugs/typos/minor annoyances etc is easy for me. It comes naturally as I was a beta tester for activision for a while. (9 months meh.) but that was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about gaming while working there. And yes my vids are definitely lacking in a 'format' I need to do some research and talk more about features, but I think actually connecting and logging in is also the meat of the vid. Being able to watch a HD vid of a MUD isn't something you see very often. However; YES I need feedback and I need help figuring out how to format my vids. If I had a script it would be much easier but I don't really have time to do all that and the main point of the 'First Look' vids are that I've never logged in and I know nothing about the game.

-Thanks for the links! Always good to increase viewership and I don't do nearly enough. I don't think I've done any advertising besides this thread.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #16
Delerak

It's been a while folks got some new content.

I again want to apologize to Carrion Fields for taking so damn long doing this one. They requested it many months ago and I was just super busy. I'm kind of gimped up right now and was able to finally get on and have fun with the game. I really enjoyed this one and may come back for a Second Look soon!

Anyways here is a link to the video for your convenience.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
Delerak

Also I promise to be more active. Any and all requests for first looks or topics of discussion/questions will be posted in weeks instead of months. 8 months with no reply on this thread is unacceptable to me personally and I think it makes me look lazy. While I am lazy I can't have people knowing that so if anyone has anything feel free to PM me on here and I will do a video as soon as I can.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
PhasmaInMachina

PhasmaInMachina is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick run through Delerak. Really appreciate this and it sounds like you've been busy with your move so I hope that is going well. Would you mind if we linked this on our website and FB page and so on? We would of course give you full credit and direct folks to your Youtube and thread.

To clarify on our player base size, the peak time is early evenings CST and is typically 35-40, with our busiest day being a Sunday night. In off-peak (European mornings/Australia afternoon) we don't have too much traffic. (Typically known as the regear/potion gathering hours.)

Anyway, thank very you much again. Truly awesome video and you picked up the basics pretty quick.

Last edited by PhasmaInMachina : 08-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
PhasmaInMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Delerak

Not at all. That's what I do it for. I will probably return for a Second Look some time soon as well. To be completely honest I feel like I didn't get nearly enough playtime with this video to do the mud justice.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #20
Delerak

Hi all. As promised I am being more active with my channel and so here is another first look on Alter Aeon this time. Link below for your convenience.

I will apologize in advance for my video is a bit off on the bottom and you are unable to see some of my commands going thru but overall the quality is okay I adjusted the resolution to 1080p I will make sure it doesn't happen in my next videos.

Thanks.