Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Delerak's MUD Vlogs

Thanks a lot for taking a look at the game. It was really good to get an outside perspective, and I went through a number of the things you mentioned (as well as a few you didn't) to see if I could improve things. The 'spurious line feed' thing you saw immediately after login appears to be a side effect of the way that ZMud in particular handles MSP. It can be fixed on the server, and should be handled properly after the next server code upload.

It would have been interesting to see the difference using the custom client, as the automap would have reduced your search time for the cave. There's a 'map' command which displays something similar for non-custom clients, but the graphical map is prettier.

Once again, thanks for your time and effort. It's appreciated

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #22
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

Of course. These are actually pretty fun to do when I have time. I will dedicate my next video to looking at your client.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

Hi guys. Been a while since I put up some new content. This is a long one but I think it's worth a look (listen?). I decided I wanted to get away from my First Looks for a while and I've always wanted to try my hand at interviewing some people who have interesting experiences in the MUDing community.

Without further adieu I present my first ever Mud interview with Jason (aka: Falco, aka Prof.)

Please let me know what you guys think as this is completely new for me and I know there were a lot of issues in this video. IE: Sound quality. Some of it I can't control but would you guys like to see more content like this? Or should I get back to reviewing MUDs and such? I'd love to do interviews with people just to see their point of view, maybe hash out discussions and just get our grey matter going.

I have a big passion for MUDs even though I'm not much of a good player I just want to try and give something to the community. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Delerak : 03-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
Delerak

Been a long long time TMS. Any interest in me doing more video reviews of MUDs? Post here with your MUD and I will either do a First Look or if I've already reviewed your mud once I will do an more in-depth video of the mud.

Thanks,
-del
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Wow, long time Delerak.

We wouldn't mind you doing a new or in depth review of Ateraan if you have time. The game has entered a new Era so you might want to get some of the background on that first and maybe get a feel for it.

Here are some ways to get this background:

These links are the posts related to the Fall and the New Era:

You can also log on and read the help files: help lore and help fall.

If you need special access in order to help the review or have questions to contact me on the game via the question channel during creation or via an otell (read help otell once in the game). I think it would also be nice if you went through the tutorial to show how that works and take the tour at the end of creation (read help tour when you are in the game).

Thanks,

Andrew
Administrator on Ateraan
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #26
Delerak

I will try and first look first. The format usually is me logging into the game with little to no knowledge beforehand except browsing the website briefly and then showing in the video how a new player interacts with the game.

I'll post the video here in a few days.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #27
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road

Man, great to see you back around Delerak!
If you want a second game, feel free to check out Ansalon next .
We've slowed a bit back to 10-15 players on, but regular updates and a great world (22 this summer!).
Thanks bud, I look forward to watching your current review!
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
Delerak

Look for your first look in the next couple days.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #29
Delerak

New Worlds first look is complete. Link is below. Of note is that I discovered multiplaying is allowed therefore the player count is probably inflated. The resolution is also a bit wonky because I haven't used OBS in a while so I am going to fix that in future videos. Other then that this was a pretty fun first look, it's been a long time.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #30
Zivilyn

Nice review Delarak.
Being an experienced MUDder also, it's really interesting to see what others notice/want/find fun.
If their game was DOT, I'd love to see the diku/merc/rom credits put back in. But that's another thread completely.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
Delerak

It's listed as LP Mud codebase. I'm unfamiliar with that, the only reason I mentioned it is because of the who list and I have been working on my coding with dawn codebase so it's really on my brain lately. In hindsight it was missing a few dawn features that are core to the codebase such as 'laston' which I attempted to type in the game.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #32
Zivilyn

Ah cool, LP was Lars Pensejo (sp?)'s base. Haven't used them myself either.
After watching your review, i added 'help features' .
Always like seeing how people think, and what they want and don't find.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Delerak. You have an excellent voice, layout, and descriptive prose of a professional game blog reviewer. I think you should start a blog and review all kinds of games.

I would highly recommend any mud owner to have Delerak review your game. He had a lot of good insight and good pros and cons. So either way he does a great job with good info.

Very fun to watch and get his perspective.

Thanks Delerak!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #34
Delerak

Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #35
Zivilyn

Hah, dyin!
I hear that!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #36
Delerak

Here is Ansalon mud. I want to note that I should not say "review" so many times in the video in fact not at all, these videos aren't meant to be reviews but simple quick looks at the game from an experienced gamer/mudder who can allow others to get a feel for it without having to invest the 30+ minutes to do so.

With that said here is the video:

Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #37
Delerak

I have a few new videos up, stories of old muds I used to play.

I'm working on a tutorial video to start a mud from beginning to finish but am having some problems with concept and hopefully will get that out soon.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #38
Zivilyn

Heyas D, sorry man, switched careers and have been off the grid working 12-15 hour days.
Thanks for the look at our world!
I realize that it wasn't your thing, but I think a few misconceptions were to be had.
1. We aren't RPI, we're role-play encouraged. I think that felt like a major 'um, wth? this is NOT what I though?' type thing with the review.
2. It's Diku lineage, and as such will be _very_ hack/slash as we didn't recode to something without the 'object interaction' it's very much a game where if you drop a dice, the code will know what the number is on that die. It's also the 'murder 4000' type thing for EXP gains etc. That also being said, there has been a major parser change to allow for things like 'get my sword out of my backpack' vs 'get sword back' etc. But, the old 'diku' stuff still works. (see 3)
3. The commands, it's really NOT Rom, (as seen by the 20+ year change logs), but we kept the 'old commands' working so that those familiar with this line of Mud play would still feel at home.
I realize it was a 'first look' type approach and REALLY appreciate the time and look at the game!
I do wish though, that a precursory look into say 'help features' (added after watching one of your previous quick looks) would show 'Hey what's unique?'.

As far as RP type features, some are more akin to PBP type games (you post a story it shows up online on your 'tome' in the Great Library etc). As it was a more 'hands on' type base originally, the RP aspects are more on IC channels etc (back that 'encouraged, not enforced'). Perhaps that's a name/descriptive thing we could change to be more clear?

My approach as always been 'see, feel, touch, smell' etc. So things will have a coded physical interaction.
Long story short, thanks much for dropping in and taking a feel on the game! I'm sorry if it seemed mis-labeled as a RPI, that wasn't the intent. We do have tons of RP but it's not the primary thrust of communication.
I await future videos on games, thanks man!

- Dave.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
Delerak

No worries Z. Wow I sound cool going just by first letters.. anyway like I said in the video your game would be very well-met by 2 types of people, fans of Dragonlance (which I myself am) and newer players to MUDs because of the simplicity of the system in place. Sorry I didn't check out your features helpfile I remember you mentioning it earlier in the thread, I tend to be distracted in the videos.

15-16 years ago your mud would appeal to me greatly, or if I was new to muds, just like RPI's would not appeal to newer MUD players the opposite is true of simpler systems that use a more hack and slash mentality, it's easier to understand especially in todays society.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #40
Sebguer

Sebguer is on a distinguished road

Interesting to hear thoughts on SoI.

Sad how the game's ended up, and incredibly depressing how much history was lost due to bad record keeping, backup management, etc.

I'd love to just get a chance to walk through the world with everything fully intact again.

I'll say that after several years, and having run a MUD myself, Kite gets nowhere near enough credit for how much stability he brought to SOI. He had issues, and Rhubarb was a totally different story, but he's probably one of the most competent head admins the game ever had- and looking at it's current state, he was definitely the right person to be running it.

Also: Crazy to think that SoI has actually been defunct for over 5 years now. The new iteration is only SoI in name, and by the fact that it runs a derivative of the original engine, and is based in middle-earth.
Sebguer is offline   Reply With Quote