Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
Klered

Klered is on a distinguished road
Press Release Source: Microsoft Corp.

Microsoft Game Studios Sets Out to Revolutionize Massively Multiplayer Online Games With 'Mythica'
Friday April 25, 2:57 pm ET
PC Title Brings Depth of Single-Player Role-Playing to MMOG Set In Norse Mythology

REDMOND, Wash., April 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Game Studios today announced the in-house development of "Mythica," a revolutionary online PC game that uses new Private Realms Technology to merge the depth and sophistication of a single-player game with the social experience of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). "Mythica" is scheduled to arrive on store shelves in 2004.
(Photo: )
"Mythica" places gamers in the role of a fallen hero who has ascended to the afterlife as an immortal seeking to achieve godhood in the Norse realms. Utilizing innovative Private Realms Technology, players enjoy grand adventures, handcrafted for one-of-a-kind gaming experiences based on their actions, strategies and whims.

"When playing 'Mythica,' players will feel like genuine Norse heroes on a personalized journey unique to them," said Adam Waalkes, studio manager for role-playing games at Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - News) "Through 'Mythica,' Microsoft Game Studios will revitalize the massively multiplayer genre by putting the focus where it belongs: on gameplay."

In the quest to become the one true hero in a vast gaming world, players may adventure with a band of fellow immortals into huge, populated public spaces or enter a Private Realm. "Mythica's" Private Realms Technology envelopes players in story lines and environments that react to their actions in private areas of the world. Here players become the central characters in a heroic tale where actions have lasting consequences in their own persistent game world.

The Private Realms are spread across several traditional planes of existence from Norse mythology, from the grassy fields and eternal spring of Asgard to the fiery heart of Muspellheim. Using godlike powers, players can dispel droves of menacing monsters with a single blow or battle massive, monstrous beasts such as the Midgard Serpent.

"'Mythica' is a delicate balance between a massively multiplayer game with mechanics, depth and socialization expected by veteran online gamers, as well as the intimacy and self-determination of a single-player adventure," said Matt Wilson, executive producer. "In our game, players truly feel like they're center stage in their own adventure."

"Mythica" will be shown publicly for the first time in Microsoft's booth at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, May 14-16, 2003. An ESRB rating for "Mythica" is pending.

About Microsoft Game Studios

Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the PC, Xbox® video game system and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse game portfolios for the PC (), including such franchises as "Age of Empires®," "Flight Simulator" and "Zoo Tycoon™"; Xbox ( ), including such franchises as "Halo™," "Project Gotham Racing™" and "NFL Fever"; and Zone.com ( ), the official games channel for the MSN® network and home to such hits as "Bejeweled" and "OutSmart™."

About Microsoft
Klered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:24 AM   #2
Kastagaar

Kastagaar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kastagaar
Vikings everywhere - sue Microsoft for copyright infringement!
Kastagaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Slanted

Slanted is on a distinguished road
I read the gamespy preview on this game a while back. Honestly, it sounds like it is gonna be pretty dang good. My only concern is that they are promising a LOT of new features. Usually I find that these features are not what I expected, and are usually tamed versions of what they originally promised. One thing I noticed is that they are creating challenges that require different skillsets than simple combat to overcome. That is old news for those of us who play MUDs, but in graphical MMORGS, it is practically unheard of.

Anyway, I will be monitoring this game to see if they come through on their predictions. Although I must say that I see a much higher likelyhood of them coming through since they have the unbeleivable capital of Microsoft to work with. We shall see.
Slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
Ingham

I'd sooner believe Mr. Mohamed Saeed Al-Sahaf then anything wrriten by GameSpy. At least Mr Al-Sahaf only proclaims bull**** and doesn't try to install spyware on my PC and sell data to "valued partners" and other corporate sell-outs. Also, I can talk to Mr Al-Sahaf without giving him my name, email adress, phone number, shoe size, sexual orientation and my social security number just to be able to hear him rant.

Also, MS MMORPGs ought to be funny. The game would technically run on Win98 with Direct 6 or so, but a bunch of nice installation script will enforce you to use Directx 10 (diabolical EULA included) with Windows Longhorn (EULA included and available for you to read as soon as you for over 500 USD). After that, the game will install, cry havoc a few times as it devours HD space like a black hole and generally annoy you a long time because MS installs always take ages for some reason. Okay, but after numerous reboots, driver errors, a few random oddities and enough swearing to launch the Vatican into Martian orbit, you can play the game...

If you for over another 29,95 USD initial sign up costs ofcourse. ####, you got money to waste and you do fork over the money. You pay securely via MS Passport and get a login name and password with which you can log in to your character, along with 1.500.000 other people who can be bother to crack their way into the poorly secured MS Passport database to run of with either your char, your CC number or both. After a bit of trying around, and getting used to controls, you decide to attack something, picking a nice little mouse to charge at with your iron short sword. All is fine and well untill suddenly a 5 minute long non-interruptable animation pops up in which a paperclip happily introduces himself as your helpful guide to your new games as your character is being slaughtered by a mouse chewing through your kneecaps. After trying to close the paperclip for ages, causing him to ask roughly 30 times wether you really want him to go, you finally succeed and get rid of it, focussing your attention back on your character who is now finally making Mickey Mouse filet!

The game continues with the occasional hickup. Every item you pick up causes a 349 page long EULA to pop up in front of your nose which you happlessly click away. Accepting the EULA grants MS your car, your house, your significant other and your first born, while declining the EULA kicks you out of the game, bans you, labels you as a potential terrorist with the FBI and reserves some nice single flight ticket toward Guatanamo Bay for you. Some leveing up later, you come across a hidden plot in the game, which takes you directly to an area worse then ####, where the insidious order called OSS (Ordo Sceleris Seclorum -- World Order of Villiany) has taken hold of the citadel called IBM (Insidious and Blaphemous Monastery) where the evil overlord Li-Nus "Satan" Torvaldus plans to take over the world.

Just before entering the area, Windows freezes and requires another quarter, causing you to die and loose all your equipment. Woo!

(The word "h-e-l-l" is censored?)

Microsoft and MMORPG - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMORPG Survey Vladaar MUD Announcements 0 10-24-2006 07:30 AM
MMORPG writing internships available Brody MUD Announcements 0 05-12-2006 02:31 PM
MMORPG = MUD the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 04-14-2006 01:45 PM
Microsoft to Buy Vivendi Games Division? Threshold Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 01-24-2003 12:34 AM
Alphalon MMORPG Hiring Builders vvortex3 Advertising for Staff 2 05-02-2002 06:56 PM