Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
eax

eax is on a distinguished road
Planning + mudlib starting to like , maybe good for newbies

Hi,

I ended up going with LPC, I luckily found a codebase with superior documentation to the initial codebase I started with as well as the fact the mud presentation, well the base system is so well presented, I actually wasnt for using partially someone elses code however with the codebase I went with I can avoid many mistakes owing to the good documentation. I believe its called dead souls, and If any other newbie was going down the same path and from a newbie perspective I would say get dead souls, get and linux, follow the instructions on the site , compile it all and you can log in a wizard on your native linux , plus this way you have the benefit of being able to try both windows and linux codebases and know they will work. Theres also another feature on deadsouls which I was very pleasantly surprised by which in essence enables corrolation between devlopers and is a great test to see if the mud is setup well but read the docs about that. There is also a quick system for creating rooms , I have learned how to use its basic features but Im focussing on being able to code directly in the C files for the sake of educating myself.

Im surprised I am following things thus far especially with such a presentable base mud, however I am only too aware that this is the point where I usually fall over, I start coding and then rethinking ways to do things and Its a bit like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back therefore I am curious as to how people plan a concept and go with it to its eventual success? I know I have something as a good starting point for once so the point I am struggling with now is getting a really good idea to work with whilst remaining realistic.

Goals I have set myself at the momment to start tommrow:

Create more rooms
Look over the class and race c files
create a new class
Be competant spawning objects with the quick system then doing it by hardcoding
eax is offline   Reply With Quote