Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-22-2003, 02:10 AM   #1
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:45 AM   #2
Cayn

Cayn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cayn
No offense, but don't we get enough of crotch grabbing, grunting, and generally being useless sports already? I get 5 different 24/7 sports channels on t.v. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play a mud based on sports.

~cayn~
Cayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
An entire mud based on sports would be too much, I feel.
Except for the more blatant sport idiots, and they'd probably be too busy either watching it on TV or performing themselves to bother with a mud.

Although god knows there would be plenty of material for roleplay; not only the training and competition, but also all the backstage intrigue, doping, cheating, sleeping around with the trainer etc...

An entire Mud, no - but the odd zone, yes.  That could be quite interesting as an alternative to the usuall mob bashing. We actually have had a Golf course zone on our mud for ages, built by a kid who used to be a caddy on the course portrayed, so he had quite a good background knowledge.

The zone was not bad, but pretty static, so currently one of my top Builders is revamping it completely, exchanging all the room descs for more or less interactive scripts. When she's finished with it, you are going to score differently depending on what club you use in different situations, eventually slice the ball and land in the rough or a sand bunker, and so on. And if you do the entire 18 holes below par, they'll be a hunk of reward for you...

I kinda like the concept.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 03:08 AM   #5
Enzo

OK, so basically it's just a MUD totally devoted to doing sports. What if someone built kinda a sub-mud sort of thing that could travel around the muds. The Camelot Knights play a game of "off with his head" at the neighboring castle. I don't really know if that would work.

Like a temporary thing where someone can play in a game, then it's shuffled to a different sport, and it just goes in a cycle maybe?
Old 02-23-2003, 03:10 AM   #6
Enzo

And just to add on that...

If probably wouldn't be some kind of code system for that. It would be someone built the basketball court and you just RP on it, and the RPexp (however the imp set it up) would determine how good you are.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
Nemene

Nemene is on a distinguished road
There is a (kind of) sport on one of the MUDs that I play. It's called Deathz Cup (there's a whole series of them been played). Basically, the referee calls out a creature and the first one to die to that monster wins that round (out of 10 rounds). It's a laugh and the top three get quite big money prizes.

On a more serious note, a sports based MUD could be interesting. I would probably try it out to see what it's like.
Nemene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #8
The Vorpal Tribble

The Vorpal Tribble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Vorpal Tribble
Ermmm... so pretty much a hack and slash with mercy on?
The Vorpal Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #9
Vesper

Vesper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vesper
Question

To be honest, I think a wrestling mud could work, and have always wanted to create one...if I knew what the #### I was doing, heh.

Something like one might see on the WWE today. Matches could be like PK....classes could be different types of wrestlers (cruiserweight, brawler, technical, etc...)...and naturally, their skills (dare I say spells) would be the different barrage of moves each class has.

Backstage stuff, interview segments, out-of-arena stuff, at the gym, hotel, anything...

Though the wrestling craze that picked up again in the late 90's has died back down, the thought of making one into a mud still seems to be pretty original...and would probably do fairly well.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
A mud that was totally based on sports might be a fun novelty if it was designed like some sort of very detailed Fantasy Football type mud.

I think it would be hard to make a 100% sports mud that could attract the amount of playing time other types of muds experience.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #11
Wenlin

Wenlin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wenlin
It's a good idea, but you just can't do certain things with a MUD.

That's what Starcraft maps are for.
Wenlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sport Orineted MUDs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old muds makila Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 06-08-2012 05:13 AM
Looking for RP MUDs Almondine War Advertising for Players 13 10-22-2005 02:07 PM
Top 20 muds Cayn Tavern of the Blue Hand 141 08-25-2004 12:30 PM
Any Muds? Asalyt Advertising for Players 6 03-10-2004 09:10 PM
RP Muds.....again Realedazed Advertising for Players 3 08-14-2003 10:43 AM