Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Should I wait for Armageddon?

So, I've always heard about Armageddon, read a little about it, read stuff by people who play and run Armageddon. So tonight I thought, why not, go check it out seriously and make a character.

However after reading a fair bit of background information and what not, I find out that the game is getting reworked into a totally new version -- originally scheduled to open last year, but looks like the schedule was pushed back.

So, should I roll up a new character now or wait? This 15-year-old game has a lot of stuff to take in. Is the new game coming in soon? Is it worth it to spend a bunch of time with a game world that's going away?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Should I wait for Armageddon?

I would suggest rolling up the character. Why not? Why wait? Even if the system is changing you will want to get to know the features of Armeggedon anyway and maybe get to know the community.

All of us in the Mud community have a hard time sticking with exact schedules for many reasons, some of which include our original plans get modified during the changes, or the changes are more robust than originally planned.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

You should definitely play the current version.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

It'll give you a chance to see if you like it or not, and from what I've heard, the world ending event is going to be quit interesting. Plus, you can see if you like the setting and the syntax as well as the playerbase. You'll also know what actually happened in the world event if you decide to stick with it.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

I will play devil's advocate and suggest waiting if for only one reason: I encountered the same problem many years ago and was sad to see a character with much potential get very little opportunity to explore that potential because the game closed. As a result, when I test games, I now use a less developed character design, just in case all the time and effort ends up being wasted. The character is still capable of growth and potential but should something happen to limit that, be it the game closing or my loss of interest in the game itself, I haven't lost a large amount of work which would only contribute to the disappointment of the situation. If you do decide to give it a go, that might be a wise course just in case they close shop the next day.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Jherlen

Jherlen is on a distinguished road

Definitely, definitely give Armageddon a try.

Yes, there are plans to rework the game into a new version, but it's going to be a very long process still. You'll have time for several character concepts to play out before Armageddon 1 goes down, and it'll make you more familiar with the game for the next version. Plus, the plots running in Armageddon are more exciting than ever right now. Jump in, you won't be disappointed. There's no danger of Armageddon up and closing tomorrow or next week or a month from now without warning.
Jherlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

Well, now I am waiting for Armageddon. I'm so used to instant character creation that this waiting period for the app is kind of bothering me.

The character creation process is pretty old-school too, as far as the interface goes. Maybe this is going to get updated in the new version?

edited to add: I'm approved, so all in all that was fairly quick, even for my ADD generation .

Last edited by Ide : 03-16-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

You'll like it if you like roleplaying and like a gritty harsh desert theme. And I thought the interface was actually pretty decent compared to others, but I guess that all depends on the other mud.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

It's been a while since I read the Armageddon forums in any detail so I'm a bit hazy on what the "new version" will entail. Will it be a code change, addition/removal of features, or a modification/switch of setting, etc? I'm curious as always about what's going on in RPIs but haven't had time to surf your site lately (odd as it may sound since I spend so much time online, but it's time spent online with a purpose).

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Jherlen

It's going to be all of the above. They're being rather ambitious with the project. The new game is going to be set in the same "world" as the current one, but several ages in the future following a cataclysm that has destroyed much of the major cities and civilisations that exist in the current game.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

The little I have seen of Armageddon, it is incredibly impressive. I found it quite interesting just how many component parts a dead insect can be broken down into :-)

However I have created three characters, and the longest lastest just over 1 hour 30 mins (I did not do anything majorly reckless, its just a very harsh world).. and as a person who like to give his characters a LOT of thought, to me this was very frustrating, hence I just chalked it in the 'Would love to play it but permadeath sucks' column.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Jherlen

There are player helpers who can assist newbies with tips on how to live longer, if you choose to look at them. Learning the ropes is unforgiving, but on a permadeath mud every mistake is a new lesson.

Also, I believe there is a two hour newbie grace period, so if you die once within the first two hours, you get a second chance with the PC. Of course if you die twice, you're dead.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

unless its changed, I think it only one hour, and I never got any indication of player helpers.. but its not relevant. I am not putting Armageddon down.. like I said, very very impressive MUd and setting, I just am not interested in permadeath, and Armageddon only enforced that dislike.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Delerak

I put a lot of thought into my characters too and I died a lot on Arm, you need to have thick skin to play the mud.