Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 08-19-2002, 03:19 AM   #1
Nostrum

Nostrum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nostrum
Unhappy

Stock SMAUG has settings for component based spells if desired. As a future project I plan on having component based skills. For example, a player can use 'fletch' to create arrows.  Currently 'fletch' is a creation spell using both mana and components to be completed. Shouldn't 'fletch' be a skill and not a spell? If I have a variety skills like this, how would I overcome the problem of players having to carry so much? What is too much under these circumstances? I had thought about having just a few components with an escalating difficulty in the ease in which they could be found in any given area. Are any of these ideas sound enough to actively pursue and implement?

Nostrum "The Supreme Monkey Boy"
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:16 AM   #2
DSer

DSer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to DSer Send a message via AIM to DSer
DSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:05 AM   #3
Nostrum

Nostrum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nostrum
Yes it does actually. My biggest problem right now is originality in game concept. There is a vast sea of MU*'s out there that have done some incredible things. So, now I am attempting to create what hasn't already been done. By finding out what has been done, I hope to find something that hasn't been done yet. That is what the original post was meant to accomplish.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 AM   #4
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
We're working on a craft system currently that is all compnent based skills. You can go and just find some compnents, others have to be created with another skill and combined/finished using yet another skill. A lot of it depends on characters working together to give parts and pieces to those who have the next skill up the chain.

The limit to this is really not even been touched, for any item you can think of, you can really break it down into many different parts, it just depends on how detailed of a system you really want to have. Go nuts with it, it's a lot of fun,a dn even if you know somewhere else has something similar, you can do it different enough to be unique...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote