Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Con liege

Con liege is on a distinguished road
Help Me Find a MUD, Please

I've been away from MUDs for over a decade, now. I've been working, raising a family, fighting wars... The usual things that can get in the way of a rich and generally pointless online existence. Now that I've got a little time on my hands, I thought I'de see how MUDs have come along.

Back in the day, I primarily played Medievia. I know, I know... That dirty rotten scoundrel Vryce and all that. I'd rather not open that can of worms, buts that's the MUD I liked. Here's some features I'm looking for:

A) hundred of players

B) live auction channel

C) some manner of loot/stat randomization so that everyone isn't just walking around in "best in slot" gear (like WoW). Another words, you and I might both have the "Awsome Sword of Goblin Destruction", but yours has 3d8+4, and mine is only 3d8+3. That means ill just have to keep killing what ever drops it until I get one that's 3d8+5. The equipment tweaks was one of the best features of Medievia.

D) Classic Tolkinian fantasy setting (or similar). No "my little pony" themes, please.

E) NPK/LPK take it or leave it. Non-NPK zones are a plus.

F) Some manner of house would be nice. Or some other manner of mass storage. I'm a pack rat with inventory issues.

G) lots of levels is good. Multi-classing is good.

H) basic class system is better (Cleric, Thief, Warrior, Mage). Some hybrid classes are ok, but nothing crazy (navy seal/ninja/girl scout/Martians are way OP in my book).

I) base code is secondary to the MuDs level of derivative development, so I'm not too picky about that.

I look forward to your recommendations.
Con liege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Nalog

Nalog is on a distinguished road
Re: Help Me Find a MUD, Please

Id try materia magica if I was you. Normally 100-150 online at a time, if you do who now it will show less due to a special item that gives polymorph and those dont show on who. You can multiclass up to 4 times, the 4th time being the ultimate class called Archon. Player housing can be bought with gold, donated for or earned by questing a lot. There are also lockers. The classes are pretty normal the 2 newest being witch and knave, nothing too funky. The site is
Nalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Turxx

Turxx is on a distinguished road

Luminarimud.com 4100

We are a new mud open to ptesting, come check out our code and ptest. You sound like you have great ideas. We would greatly appreciate someone like you. You could even decide to build on some level if you like later. We have a very active staff. I have been mudding 25 years, Luminari has awesome potential.

Turxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

You might want to give Alter Aeon a shot. We've got a good chunk of the features you're looking for:

A) Player load ranges from 50-100, but we're growing, not shrinking

B) Live (and active) auction channel

C) A chance for random loot, some of it with really impressive stats

D) Fantasy setting

E) Not sure about NPK/LPK. AA isn't a pk mud; all pk is registration only or in arenas.

F) We have storage lockers and weightlesses, and also allow storage characters.

G, H) We're a five class multiclass system with mage, cleric, thief, warrior, and necromancer. Characters can get levels in all classes, but generally focus on learning the spells or skills for either one class or a specific playing style. The max level is 36, with 180 total levels. Nobody is yet max level in all classes.

I) The code base is custom, though we've tried to make sure the most common commands from other codebases are implemented.

We also have a custom client with a graphical mapper and other features.

The website address is:

The telnet port address is alteraeon.com, port 3000.

We hope to see you there!

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I second Alter Aeon. I've played Aardwolf and Materia Magica, but Alter Aeon seems to come closer to what you are looking for.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote