Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Just wondering your opinions on what connection there is between age and roleplaying ability. Does age bring maturity to your approach to roleplaying, or just experience? Or does it even matter?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Almondine War

Almondine War is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Almondine War Send a message via Yahoo to Almondine War
The short answer to this question is: Yes, I think it does.

However, to get more involved with this, it is important to remember that certain people mature at different rates than others do.
Almondine War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Secret Elegance

Secret Elegance is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Secret Elegance
Secret Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus is on a distinguished road
Roleplaying is more about experience and thought. It has nothing to do with maturity, honestly. I was roleplaying at 10, and I was pretty mature for my age, but not mature. I was good then, and continued to develop with experience. Now, in my 6th year and after putting in a lot of thought into roleplaying and how to create a cohesive and interesting story, I think it has much more to do with how much thought and time you invest into it.
Cyrrhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Almondine War

Almondine War is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Almondine War Send a message via Yahoo to Almondine War
I think maturity DOES play a role in role-playing, even if it isn't an enormous one. You have to know how to adapt and respond to all sorts of circumstances, and know when enough is enough.
Almondine War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Eh...I'd say, age only brings experience. Asides from that, it doesn't matter too much as far as I'm aware.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I think it's both - age and experience.

It has a lot to do with capacity.

A young person lacks the capacity to have as much experience as an older person has. An older person might not actually HAVE as much experience as they could - but they have that capacity to have experienced more, simply because they've lived longer.

I think it also has a bit to do with emotional maturity. Kids haven't had time to grow emotionally yet, and will be more likely to go through periods of emotional angst than the older players. The whole puberty thing can cause a young player to do things that he might not do if he was older and past that stage in his life.

Please note - I can't emphasize this enough - that I am being VERY general here on purpose. When I say "will be more likely" I mean just that. I don't mean "will always" or "will usually" - I'm talking about capacity.

An older person has the *capacity* to be more level-headed during tense scenes than someone with raging adolescent hormones. It doesn't mean the older person WILL be more level-headed - but they have already passed that stage and the likelihood of breakdown is reduced.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote

Talking Point: Age and RP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking Point: Playing Kids and Old People Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 11 12-13-2004 10:17 PM
Talking Point: Sex and the Single MUD Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 6 08-25-2004 06:23 PM
Talking Point: Self-Sufficiency Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 8 08-11-2004 06:13 PM
Talking Point: RP Gender Issues Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 35 08-08-2004 02:57 AM
Talking Point: How much is too much? Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 8 08-04-2004 06:11 PM