Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I've seen LOTS of people roleplaying their own age group - or maybe just a little bit older. But it's much rarer to find roleplayers who take on roles as young children and old people.

Why do you suppose it is? What does it take to play these kinds of characters successfully? Or do you even try?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Auseklis

Auseklis is on a distinguished road
Auseklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Brody
Legend

Smile

Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Mikkel

Mikkel is on a distinguished road
Actually, for me ... whats more intriguing is the nature of the character - and that will usually tell me what age the character should be. Kinda like working backwards ...

Now that said, one of the reasons I do like running what would be considered 'younger' characters - and lets say for me thats early to mid twenties - is that , at that age period, the character has (in many cultures) just reached an age of relative independence, and is often standing on their own for the very first time or finally starting on their own journey through life. As such, the events that then happen in the characters life play a major role in shaping their personality, outlook and the direction of their eventul destiny ... and thus the choices they make during roleplay.

Add to what Lee, Lifeson and Peart excellently put forth as a true insight in the psyche of a young person just starting out, and you have the excellent ingredients of an adventuring persona -

Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time

To put it in another way, starting with a so called younger character provides a strong opportunity for growth, development and change, which is one of the things that separate a character that is very believable from one that is thinner and less dimensional.

That is not to say that this cannot happen with older characters ... save that, by their very nature, older characters would have certain behaviors and beliefs set, based on their previous (unplayed) experiences. It lets you experiment with the truth or falsehood of the old adage of whether or not an old dog can be taught a new trick.

True younger characters are probably the hardest to run well as a player character as opposed to an NPC ... having to tread that fine line between being an effective and enjoyable character that allows you to accomplish what you need to to participate and enjoy the game versus the tendency for a "child" character to be artifically advanced in knowledge, mannerisms, skills and cultural influence.
Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
True, which is why - to date - I have only ever played one character under the age of 14; I'm just not sure enough of myself to be comfortable in the knowledge that I won't goof and make the char seem too mature for their age.

That's also why I don't play very old characters either; I don't feel like I know enough about how someone very old would act, and I don't want to muck things up by accident.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Brody
Legend

Smile

Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
Munchkin

Munchkin is on a distinguished road
I've always thought of doing either of these two types of characters-I guess I should try an under 15...seeing as I am. The problem with older characters is that they must understand what has gone on before, and know it. And I know I really couldn't do this
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
Fionnlagh

Fionnlagh is on a distinguished road
Probably my most interesting twist on this was playing a young character playing an old character once. Specifically, playing a young con man pretending to be an old blind beggar.

I think one of the things that's really key in playing a believable character of either great age or youth, or strange races, is to get a clean handle on what characteristics are strongest in the character. What actions and reactions define someone of that age.

Take Roen, a six year old on Chia (not played by me). Her defining characteristics are a clinging lovingness and screaming tantrums. Where an adult might moderate a negative reaction for decorum, she as a somewhat undisciplined child goes into full screaming rages.

Basically, I suppose what I'm saying is that part of the key is to find what's *different* about the actions and reactions of a character of a different age, and keep those in mind when you play the character. Overall, beings are remarkably similar no matter what the age group.
Fionnlagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Personally, I love playing fat, greasy, old dwarves with a generally unappealing appearance. It makes it all the more fun to play someone who is not some attractive person like everyone else. Try playing a fat ugly dwarf or an elf who isn't very good looking. I think most people have a dream about their favorite character, and they want to be the perfect hero that their dream is. But the thing is, your dreams aren't generally very believable. Play a normal person every once in a while, its fun, and it takes an ordinary person to be a hero.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:09 PM   #10
Steel Leopard

Steel Leopard is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Steel Leopard Send a message via Yahoo to Steel Leopard
Hey, I've totally played a senile, old hag before who didn't do anything but instigate, talk about herself, and sit around drunk moping about the past. When she wasn't begging for money with which to buy her booze.
Steel Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Man, thats exactly what I do dude. I love playing beggars and old people who get drunk all the time. You've basically listed half of the characters I've played. I didn't even think there were other people out there like me. Thats pretty cool.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #12
potterhead4

potterhead4 is on a distinguished road
Well, being a younger person myself, I sort've have to play older people. All my chars have been average age for the game, which is certainly older than me.

-Gabe
potterhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Talking Point: Playing Kids and Old People - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking Point: Age and RP Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 7 10-05-2004 09:59 AM
Talking Point: Sex and the Single MUD Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 6 08-25-2004 06:23 PM
Talking Point: Self-Sufficiency Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 8 08-11-2004 06:13 PM
Talking Point: RP Gender Issues Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 35 08-08-2004 02:57 AM
Talking Point: How much is too much? Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 8 08-04-2004 06:11 PM