Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-02-2003, 03:14 AM   #1
markizs

markizs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to markizs
Well i have seen loads of muds where colors are sooo over used that i get a headache trying to read basic stuff in mud. I prefer to have few colors only for basic things, to point out whats important and no eye cuting. (Actualy just got tear in my eye after reading one very colorful mud just a sec ago)
What do you prefer?
markizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:58 AM   #2
enigma@zebedee

enigma@zebedee is on a distinguished road
Hmm, fairly predictable results on this one really :-)

Certainly on zeb we use colours only for selected message types, and coders/players are heavily restricted on their colour use for just that reason:

Players/Monsters/Tells/Shouts/Hp pretty much being it.

Of course players can configure what colours are used where on their own displays, but that doesn't mean other people have to see the technicolour nightmares they produce...
enigma@zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
I dunno, I like it better when the color combos are good...

For example, a line that consists of ----------- in alternating cyan and light cyan...

Or a "Flamethrower" where it goes from Dark Red at the edges to bright yellow in the middle...
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I like colours for emphasis and in places like channels. On our mud, many of the channels don't show the channel name, so the colour is the easiest way to tell them all apart.

I don't mind colour for emphasis, the flamethrower example someone else posted sounds interesting. But I hate colours for the sake of colours. Generally, leave my text grey with emphasis and I'm happy.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:20 PM   #6
cowofjoy

cowofjoy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to cowofjoy
It wasn't until I tried a few alternative MUDs that I came to truly appreciate the relatively strict ANSI guidelines my MUD adheres to. There are some things that should just never be done with colors... Aigh! My eyes tremble at the mere memory.
cowofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
I'm not a big fan of colors, ever. First, I've come to prefer certain systems that don't support ANSI well, and that's obviously going to kill your desire for color. But, also, even when I'm using something that does, I tend to simply kill all the color, which can irritate my eyes even in small doses and can hurt the ambience (imho), and use client hiliting to get things done, if I need hilites at all.

Then again, part of it probably is that I'm a die-hard roleplayer, who tends to play muds with little or no combat, and the need to differentiate between spammy combat messages is less common, and often channels don't exist, or only one or two exist.

My two cents, I realize that this is a far cry from the opinion of the general community these days.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
Artemia

Artemia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Artemia
I started playing on two MUDS with a very well-planned use of Ansi. Names purple, objects green, tables blue. everything else was black.

However, when I started playing at a few certain H&S muds, I found that I could no longer have -any- color because of the fact that it not only made my head hurt, but it took me about 10 minutes to find the help file to turn the color off. *sigh*

I suggest either specific color or absolutely no color. Any color in a room description is uncalled for.. i just skip over it, even though its supposed to make something stand out.

*tosses in her two cents*
Artemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #9
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
In agreement with Artemia, if your room description needs color to make things stand out, you wrote it wrong.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:09 AM   #10
markizs

markizs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to markizs
i agree with that.
Altho i have seen some room descs where colors are good. those made by Amnon. when ---------- showed from red to blue armour or energy or whatever tank have left.
but thats rare example.
i hate when they color one word only to make player spot it. thas just stupid. either write not so long room descs or choose better wording, or put room chat if that word is so essential.
markizs is offline   Reply With Quote

ANSI Colors in muds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ANSI logon screen for Circle-based mud Lazari MUD Coding 4 06-03-2006 11:22 AM
Java and ANSI Tezcatlipoca MUD Coding 6 04-11-2005 12:30 PM
Ansi art, or whatever its called Enzo Tavern of the Blue Hand 3 08-21-2004 12:12 PM
ANSI prompts at initial login: good or bad? erdos Advanced MUD Concepts 9 01-10-2004 08:11 PM
What is up with all the colors? ATK Tavern of the Blue Hand 14 02-01-2003 01:29 PM