Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 02-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #41
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
What about summoned mobs, pet mobs, charmed mobs, etc? Couldn't players just use those to kill each other?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #42
SirTank

SirTank is on a distinguished road
No, in the all encompassing greater PK check funtion
we have, it makes sure that any NPC that is a follower
of a PC cannot attack another PC with that flag on. That
one check along with the myrid of other ways to initiate
combat should all be nulified when that rezzed player has
that 90 second AFF flag. Making that kind of solution unabuseable
s your own muds responsibility, it's not that hard to do and
it sure stops the complaints of rezz-killing and keeps the
killed player happy that hes/she isnt whisked away to a graveyard
or whatever other inconvienient results your mud has upon death.

Tank
SirTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #43

My memory is certainly not foggy enough to want to repeat the mistake of being involved in muds that are run on that system again. I have no desire to be involved in "running" a mud in that sense, nor am I currently.

I don't have to resort to theory on that, I could list all the mud codebases (non Diku) that don't have snoop or wizinvis. For example none of the available mudlibs that I know for ColdC implement snoop or wizinvis. The point being it isn't at all necessary or needed for problem solving.

It's quite easy enough to indicate availability or unavailability, and retrieve away messages in the same way that players can. And yet what Diku player hasn't had strange experiences with disembodied voices? I contend it's used for quite a different purpose on most muds. Did you ever think of implementing playerviz so players could hide from imms and communicate anonymously as well?

IRT 1. Note boards, forums and tells are certainly more than sufficient to report problems. IMO, if a player is unable to communicate a problem through a note or an exchange, then muds probably aren't going to suit them anyway.
IRT 2-4. I would have thought building and testing in most Dikus was done on test ports or offline. That's how we always did it. If we didn't have enough testers, we'd invite players to participate as well. On other types of muds apparently one is able to build, code and debug online without snoop.

Addressing the privacy problem would involve removing the security holes not inventing excuses to justify them. Implementing key encryption inside a mud would be quite useful as well to secure privacy of communications.

There are actually more things I mean by it, but as far as communications are concerned the above is correct. Your scenario assumes that players remain unaware of what ignore does, whether it's even operative, cannot form character judgments themselves, and for some reason Player A is still actually quite interested in continuing to deal with Player B via third parties.

I don't really know what "out of hand" means to you. I expect players would decide that for themselves. It would mean players would no longer whine, bitch, moan and rely on you to solve their social problems. Why do you assume they wouldn't make creative use of social tools available to them? They clearly demonstrate that they are quite capable of making full use of the rest of their avatar's toolbox, your other game commands (especially the bugged ones ;-), and most of all they use these existing tools in concert with other players.

My pet peeve isn't just bugs, but punishing people because your design or code is broken. If you have to deal with "bugs" like the above on a daily basis then yes, that's certainly level 1 on my "you suck" table. The social stuff is because players don't have any the powerz to prevent it. It's a circular argument, they don't have the power so they need us. See how much they need us.

The phrase is certainly very popular among those who start muds, and advertise them. And you wrote an article on just the sort of players who would use that phrase in one sense. For a great many it translates into "they listen to me and implement the things I want". I don't put much stock in it from the viewpoint of "I want to mud in a safe monitored environment with no privacy" though I acknowledge some players do.

If you want to know whether you really can administrate a mud effectively, delete your immortal character and recreate as a regular player character under the same name. Set your title to Head Wizard, Big Cheese, Great Kahuna, or whatever just so players know you are the one running the mud and the one to report problems to.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #44
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #45
TheTrollCop

TheTrollCop is on a distinguished road
TheTrollCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:04 AM   #46
Sinuhe

Sinuhe is on a distinguished road
TheTrollCop wrote on Feb. 20 2005,08:47
Aha, so that is what really happened.

Interesting.
Sinuhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #47
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I should also mention that we've got Osama hiding in the closet and that after Caesar was murdered we took in Brutus and protected him from Caesar's angry enemies.

Oh, and did I mention that all our profitable games are DIKU-based?

Keep on trollin', Trollcop.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #48
TheTrollCop

Old 02-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #49
the_logos
Legend

Yeah, I remember that one too. That's the one where I pointed out that salary surveys show us that coders are more valued than builders and promptly got flamed for it. Some people on these boards have a serious problem with reality, but that's their problem.

--matt
Old 02-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #50
the_logos
Legend

You're right, it doesn't make it any less true. When something is false to begin with, nothing can make it less true.

It is, however, an appropriate response to stupid accusations. That or a lawsuit if we felt someone had crossed over into libel territory. Those are the two appropriate responses to that kind of thing I think. Another would be just ignoring them as the rantings of children, of course, but what fun would that be?

--matt
Old 02-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #51
TheTrollCop

Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #52
the_logos
Legend

You're just too cute, TrollCop! Erudite and witty as well. I feel the first strains of infatuation setting in already *swoon*. I fear I'll have to ignore you in the future however, for I am just too busy making great MUDs to fall in love with you. It would consume me, like that fat whale Estach consuming a whole roast pig.

--matt
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #53
TheTrollCop

Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #54
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
the_logos Feb. 23 2005,14:17

You know, I am getting really tired of you and your tacky so called ‘debate technique’.

Let’s get the facts straight here for once.

YOU told the board that story about how one of your imms used to play with himself on a webcam in front of his followers.

YOU also related how you, after removing his imm, still let him keep his mort, until some of the players complained about it.

What I did was comment on that story, saying that I thought you handled the situation really bad. I thought so at the time, and I still think so.

Those are the facts, and bringing Usama bin Laden into the discussion  in a lame attempt to obscure them isn’t going to work any more than threatening to sue me did.

It’s just making you look stupid.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #55
the_logos
Legend

I love you, Molly.

And I'm still going to throw Daedalus down a well.

--matt
Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #56
Avasyu

Name: Jeremy
Home MUD: http://www.ironrealms.com
Avasyu is on a distinguished road
If you have a problem with Imperian, bring it to the ring Sara-****
Avasyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #57
the_logos
Legend

Consider it brought! Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'm taking you to the mat. Wait...wait...I'm getting a message from the future...Yep, you'll be tapping out from a lionkiller, or, hmm, it might be a bicep slicer. I can't quite tell, but the image of your face in strained agony is crystal clear.

--matt
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #58
Avasyu

Name: Jeremy
Home MUD: http://www.ironrealms.com
Avasyu is on a distinguished road
Obviously you have crossed the line once again Saraputz. Not only have you threatened me with physical violence, but you have mocked Imperian. I call upon the members of this board to demand that you are banned.
Avasyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #59
TheTrollCop

What's this? More immature joking and sophomoric actions on the IRE teams part? Could you be trying to spam this off the page:

Molly, Feb. 24 2005,02:37
So, you've threatened suing, you've tried to distract by alluding to an extremely proposterous joke about terrorist harboring. And now you spam the boards with idiotic jokes to spam Molly's factual post off the boards.

My question is this. Why is someone that's supposed to be a professional, supposed to be a pillar of the community, nothing more than an utter jackass. You don't act like this on mudconnect, you don't act like this on terranova. Do you feel TMS is your personal advertising board?

For christs sake, you lead one of the largest games on these forums, but you act less professional than the average DBZ Imp. No wonder you couldn't raise the money for a graphical MMORPG. Grow up Matt.

Dealing with Banned players - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with OOC Terloch MUD Administration 26 08-21-2012 03:18 PM
Banned in China the_logos MUD Administration 23 02-10-2005 12:41 PM
OTHERSPACE: Dealing with connection issues Brody MUD Announcements 0 05-21-2002 01:35 PM