Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Corrlaan

Corrlaan is on a distinguished road
A moment from Carrion Fields

A Cold Night in Azuremain by Nepenthe
It's a cold, rainy night in the desolate streets of Azuremain. Although unpleasant, this is not an entirely bad thing; you are well used to making your way with little light, and the sound of the storm mutes the sound of your near-silent footfalls from your prey.

For two sleepless days you have stalked the dark knight Khaxmorzu. Guilty of countless murders and schooled in a dozen black arts, he has been linked to a dangerous doomsday cult and is wanted dead in every civilized nation. There is, of course, a significant bounty on his head.

Reliable sources confirm that his favorite axe bears a fell and forbidden enchantment; it is a soul-eater, feasting on the very essence of his innocent victims. With every cold-blooded killing, the unholy might of Khaxmorzu grows more unstoppable.

Few have the nerve to face him alone. Fewer still would have the courage to strike him now, as he moves through Azuremain's dilapidated flagstone streets, with a pair of savage orc berserkers as his cohorts. Taking on any one of the three would be a difficult battle.

But you have stealthily studied Khaxmorzu for some time now, employing the special training of the guild of assassins. You have watched him fight, absorbed how he moves. There is a blind spot in his alertness, a flaw in his defenses, one that a student of the shadow arts such as yourself can exploit. You could take advantage of this in a surprise attack, putting an end to his reign of terror in one perfect killing blow. He would be dead and you could vanish back into the rainy night before his cohorts even realized what was happening.

You know from experience that these things don't always go according to plan. If he or one of the orcs spots you before you're in position, or if you erred in your judgement, you'll be dead in a heartbeat. You grip your knife tightly in clammy hands. Do you have the nerve to bet your life, and Khaxmorzu's, on your instincts and training? Only you can decide.

Welcome to Carrion Fields. A world of danger and wonder where the greatest victories come at the the price of real risk, and the names of the courageous live in legend forever. Whether you are hero or villain, beloved or infamous, is all up to you.

thera.carrionfields.com:9999
Corrlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
ladygrace_of_elysium

ladygrace_of_elysium is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A moment from Carrion Fields

nice story

I was on carrion fields and im sure if you do roleplay its great fun but the coding itself makes the pking just a matter of 'who can get to the priests 1st to heal wins' which makes it a bit naff when it comes to fighting. If it was set so those who are seen as active fighters cannot use priest immediately then when fighting npcs one could go to the priest....wait ......heal....then fight. Then the player v player fighting people the person who is most skilled would win not the person who ran to the priest & came back all healed within 5 seconds & killed you because you didnt know where the priest was & they did

Last edited by ladygrace_of_elysium : 09-10-2007 at 12:42 PM.
ladygrace_of_elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Corrlaan

Corrlaan is on a distinguished road

I think there is a lot to be said for the fact that you forced them to HAVE to run to the healer. Outside healing sources can be a saving grace for the wounded, and of course your downfall if you dont know where to find them.

We offer newbie ranks from 1-10, where PK is disallowed. The Academy is completely redone and always in the process of upgrading and gives you extensive knowledge of your own abilities, as well as how to mingle with shopkeepers, trainers, and even healers....which I'll tell you are scattered all throughout the world in every city, some in shrines and even some in the wilds to cater to our brethren who despise the filth of civilization. I would suggest to you, come back and spend a little more time in those 'safe' ranks. Every city you can pick as a hometown is safe for low level exploration, with many things to kill, observe, buy and/or just browse at the shops. Maps are available for free when you create, and if you need more copies our handy 'outfit' command provides you with new ones. Knowledge of the playing field will make you that much better at either finding that priest and healing up yourself...or finding that hiding place you discovered earlier and getting away.

I would have to say that you probably ended up the butt end of our steep learning curve which includes specifically other people killing you. I can honestly say that 90% of our PK relies on many other factors as opposes to just finding the healer, and running back to the fight. Our classes are the most balanced around and just the fact that you held your own and forced them to flee says something about it since you admittedly were just giving it a test run. I would also say a large portion of our PK happens outside of populated areas where healers are a complete non-issue. I think you'll find the elements of surprise, knowledge of your skills and spells and how they might match up against your foe, enemies vulnerabilities vs your strengths and of course your chasing ability will all factor in to a good PK situation.

Come on back, spend some time exploring the cities pre-11. Then when you are comfortable getting around, getting away, etc. I think you'll find our system one of the most fine-tuned around.

Corrlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Good job, Carrion Fields!

I for one, think it sounds most intriquing and exciting! I'm sure many will agree and pay homage to your modifications.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote